Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

hardware - Harman/kardon - omni 20

Solved!

hardware - Harman/kardon - omni 20

Hi there,
I juste bought the omni 20 wifi speakers from Harman Kardon because i read good reviews about them which Saïd they would work with spotify connect through wifi. However, i cannot seem to make them work, as i don't see them on my 'spotify connect' screen.

Can you confirm that they are indeed compatible?

Thx

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I got this answer from HK today:
Please note that the HK Home Wireless series has never been marketed as being, or becoming, compatible with Spotify Connect. What may have happened is that some stores, and possibly some Harman customer support output has indicated that this would be possible. It is being worked upon, but there are issues that may not be possible to solve. While it is of course always possible to stream Spotify via Bluetooth, this is not the same as Connect. If you want to be certain, it is probably best to return the product.
Not happy!!

View solution in original post

73 Replies

Having the same issue!

Also this issue with the Omni 10 

Techradar

Hi guys

I have an Omni 10 and 20 system in my house.

In the past I used Spotify, but unfortunately this does not work with the Omni system at present, so after speaking to the people at HK I set up a premium Deezer account for the short-term as Spotify is not compatible with their software at present. They did tell me that they excpect Spotify to be online with the Omni system towards the end of January, so I guess in the mean time you need to sit tight. Alternatively you can use Bluetooth until the sofware catches up.

I think anybody with the Omni system has bought it for the future and not the present as its operating system is currently riddled with bugs. 

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for this useful reply.

Do you know if the solution they are working on aims at 1/ making spotify available through the HK app or 2/ making HK speakers compatible with the 'spotify connect' feature?

How was it before, when it worked for you?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

As far as I can gather from my conversation with the guy from HK's customer support, they aim to make Spotify avaliable through the HK app by the end of January, so it will be fully compatible with their multi-room system. I am looking forward to this, but a little wary as don't find Deezer overly usable right now with the HK app.

Sorry, can I ask you a quick question?  I bought my system 2 weeks ago, and am now using Deezer, as a previous Spotify subscriber. However, I find it sometimes drops out, that it sometimes skips songs and that the connection isn't great. Are you also using Deezer? If so are you also having issues? I love my speakers, and think the sound quality is awesome, but found the app a little hit and miss.

Cheers,

Colpro77

I tried deezer and experienced the drops when playing through the app. However they were due to poor wifi connection which i solved by installing a wifi amplifier in the room.

Hi there, having the same problem. Hoped spotify would work with my omni20 through LAN, but all I've got now is a very expensive bluetooth speaker...
Has anybody found a release planning for the HK software?
Cheers,
Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Still nothing solid on when the next update for the app will come out. but have you tried Deezer in the interim? There is actually not a huge difference, dare I say it on this forum, between Deezer and spotify.

Also check this out, http://spotizr.com this will allow you to import all of your albums and favorite play lists directly from Spotify to Deezer. Only issue is to use Deezer with the HK Omni devices you need to download the app separately, set up a premium account, and surprise surprise, there, at present, appears to be a few bugs with the HK apps interaction with Deezer.

hope this helps
colpro77

Hi Colpor,

Thanks. Ill give deezer a try. First things i notices when looking at
Deezer was that the user interface isn't quite as slick as Spotify's... But
i'll try, thanks!

Jeff

In the meantime.. It is february now. Is there any news about the integration of Spotify in the HK app?

I spoke to hk last week and they promised a update with Spotify connect sometimes in february. I hope they can keep that promise...

Now they say ut Will be released in mars....

March if we are lucky. The original device's release was postponed several times now they can't seem to get the updates right. At least they are aware of their own limitations with the operating system as this is open sourced and they have invited third parties to devlop apps.. There is a lot of money in this for HK if they get it right, but you can't help but feel that the products repuation is being sullied by sloppy programming. 

I spoke to HK also for over some time now. They are changing the information they gave me almost every week.
First they said beginning of February, then at latest the end of february, and another week later it was beginning of March.

The last time I got an answer they couldn't be specific anymore, it was just 'we are working hard on it, sometime in the future this will be available'. 

Sucks. 

Yeah ! Just get a pair of Omni 10 but yeah, one more waiting for spotify support

I'm trying to decide b/t Sonos and HK. I have some existing (old school) HK speakers, but the lack of spotify and uncertainty around updates and added features is a bit concerning.

How's the sound quality with the Omni Series?

Hi Aweathers,

An interesting question. It seems that one of the main reasons people buy the Sonos system is because its intergrated operating system has had several yeras to develop, and is much much better and mature than what other companies offer.

In terms of sound quality, the HK Omni series is far superior. The built in sub woofer, in the Omni 10s for instance gives these a much fuller sound than the Sonos 1, unless you are prepared to spend the big bucks needed to purchase the Sonos Sub-woof. I have 2 x Omni 20 in my living room and 3 x Omin1 10 scattered throughout my house, and I am suprised how good they sound. So as a music player I don't think you'd find many dissenting voices in that the HK Omni produces superior and fuller sound.

BUT the issue lies with the operating system, this is improving and HK released an update last week for instance to improve speaker output. However the whole system is still a little clunky and nowhere near as inutitive or user friendly as the more refined Sonos system. The Deezer/Spotify issue is not a huge one for me personally as I think Deezer has really upped its game over the last 6 months, and I actually quite like it. It even boasts a bigger libary of songs than Spotify, and you can find free software online to transfer playlists between the two. Also the operating system is getting better. I bought my HK system in the beginning of December and there have been several updates since, each slightly improving the user experience.

In essence, if you want a system to take out the box and enjoy, then the Sonos is a good option. But if you have never owned either and have no experience of the slick Sonos operating sysemt, and are prepared to invest a bit of patience and wait for HK to catch up, then the supperior sound quality of the HK device is probably for you. I bought my HK system with one eye on the future, and with the huge assupmtion that things will improve, and it has.

Also the customer support from HK, personally, I have found as good as from anywhere. I have found them very quick to respond and helpful.

Hope this helps, but any additional questions please fire away.

Thanks for the terrific response. This helps a lot.

Suggested posts