Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

hardware - Harman/kardon - omni 20

Solved!

hardware - Harman/kardon - omni 20

Hi there,
I juste bought the omni 20 wifi speakers from Harman Kardon because i read good reviews about them which Saïd they would work with spotify connect through wifi. However, i cannot seem to make them work, as i don't see them on my 'spotify connect' screen.

Can you confirm that they are indeed compatible?

Thx
73 Replies

For all who own the Harmon speakers, I found a good way around all of this. Go to amazon  and buy Alexa or the dot. You can tie all speakers through the echo dot. And stream any kind of music you like.

Great, thanks for the advice. This is a very intriguing solution. How exactly does this work? Does this work like the HK control App so you can control the volume and connectivity of all speakers through a central app. Or like the Bluetooth function were a little more manual input is needed?

You need to use the hk app to setup the speakers. Then you connect echo with one of the blue tooth speakers. Then the rest of the speakers connect through wifi. Alexa will control the volume and music you also use Spotify through Alexa app.

Many thanks for the quick response. I think I'll buy a Dot. Before I do can I ask one last quick question? I have 3 x Omni 10 and a pair of Omni 20s. So does this offer full integration like the HK app, so I can individually alter the volume in each room separately, etc using Alexa? Cheers

You. Can using the hk app or on the speaker. I have two 20 paired as stero and 10 in another room.

Hey Morton3, I took your advice and my Echo Dot arrived today, I currently live in Germany so getting hold of one took a little time. The Dot itself is pretty sweet, so thanks for the heads up. A quick question, though, how did you manage to get it to play on additional speakers through the Dot? I have paired it to my 2 x omni 20s via bluetooth and that works great, and the Dot has even recognised the stereo par. But I am struggling to get it to play on my other Omni 10 speakers. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Picking up HK Omni speakers for a bargain currently so hence the reply to this old thread.

My solution ticked two problems I had with wifi speakers in general, and HK.

1. Playing CD's across my wifi speaker network,

2. and the Harmon Kardan app's lack of Spotify

I bought a small Marantz M-CR611, spotify connect enabled!

Instead of seperate bookshelf speakers, I ran a 3.5mm jack to the input on one Harman Kardon Omni 10 (Note that this option is only available on the sonos 5, not lower Sonos models).

Now instead of using the bad HK app (can't even set favourate radio stations!!), I use the Marantz  to play DAB, Spotify, CD's, internet radio, local music server, anything! through my HK wifi speakers. 

DSC_6171.JPG

On the H/K Omni 20 page, it says under FAQs that "The upcoming Omni+ speakers will come built-in with Spotify Connect support." In response to Product Q&A three months ago, I was told Omni+ products will ship in June.

Hi there, been reading your solve with Alexa and Omni speakers. I have three but whilst I can get one linked on Alexa and Bluetooth, I can't get the restreaming to other speakers...what were the steps you went through?

thanks

charlie 

Thank you for your information, I am not happy either, but at least we know where we are standing. 

Using Amazon Echo to play spotify on the HK Omni

1. Set default music service on the echo dot app to spotify (link account)
  2. 3.5mm jack from echo dot to one hk omni (or bluetooth link to one omni - not recommended)
  3. "Alexa, play 90's indie"
  4. slight delay while omni wakes up
  5. walk to the other omnis (10s and 20s) and push the hk button once on every speaker you want spotify playing on, or hold in for partymode (all speakers)

Got echo dot today, and worked 1st time.

Alternative step 2.  Use hk app to link all the speakers to the one connect by 3.5mm jack/bluetooth to the dot.

I recommend the 3.5mm jack, as if you use bluetooth, you are putting a weak (sound quality wise) link in the wifi chain. Ensure you order a thin profiled 3.5mm jack. Ones with bigger housings don't fit in the omni.

Unplug or unlink Omni and echo if you want to avoid waking sleeping wives, dogs and babies everytime Alexa is activated!

I have one omni permanently linked to Echo dot, and one to my Marantz hifi as described further above, endless easy ways to now play high quality spotify.

Thanks for this Psychoakustik, to continue this thread, I read today that,

"The Omni 10 and the Omni 10+ will work together. The only restriction there will be, is rebroadcasting Google Cast Audio to 1st generation OMNI speaker. Spotify connect will work on two 1st generation OMNI speaker, all you need is just one OMNI+ product. If you has more than two 1st generation speakers, then you need to buy more OMNI+ devices, since you can only connect two for each OMNI+ speaker."

So for us early adopters the only way to use spotify is to buy a new Omni+ for every two original omni speakers we own. I, for instance, own 6, so will be an expensive transition for me.

I have 2 Omni 20, I would have to buy 1 Omni + to use them via wifi using Spotify? Could you use them separately via wifi and Spotify? How the connection works?

You should link one speaker to Alexa via wlan and connect all the others to each other via Bluetooth. That’s how it works at least on my multiroom setup.

Suggested posts