Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

help needed; how to play music on JBL speaker (wifi)

Solved!

help needed; how to play music on JBL speaker (wifi)

hi All,

I wonder if you could help me with the follwoing issue: I have wireless speaker JBL Authentics L16. I can easly connect it using bluetooth, but wanted to use wifi. It was impossible for me to find a way to send the music from Spotify to the speker. I know that I set up wifi correctly as I can send the music using Media Player (siple option played to-->JBL).

I checked in the community and I was advice to contact spotify client support. I did so and in response I was told that Spotify does not support JBL.

So my question is, do you know if there is anyway to send music directly to the speaker, perhaps there is some app or program I could install. I am sure that I am not the only one who had such issue.

Additional info: I am using Acer Aspier P3, Widows 8.1.

Beer for the person who find the slution:D

thanks,

M.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there,

I got the older firmware file from JBL UK.

US JBL support sucks c..ks, balls deep !

After the downgrade I tried a couple times upgrading it again after doing the factory reset, but without luck.

Recently I got Spotify upgrade file from another source and it works !

The procedure I used is:

1. Factory reset.
2. Older firmware installation
3. Check if it connects to Wi-Fi (now it should do)
4. Factory reset.
5. Spotify firmware installation (now everything works as expected)

PM me your e-mail so I can send you both the older and spotify firmwares.

View solution in original post

37 Replies

Get  Airfoil for Windows and enjoy Spotify on Authentics L16

You can, in fact, update the L8 and L16 speakers to *directly* support Spotify, via Spotify Connect, instead of using the AirPlay feature: Visit http://www.jbl.com/content?ContentID=authentics, and scroll down to the ‘Spotify’ or ‘Software Upgrade’ section. The process of firmware-updating the JBL speaker is a little involved, but I promise you, it's possible. Once done, the speaker will show up directly on any Spotify device!

Warning.

If your JBL Authentics L8 / L16 is working very well on AirPlay / DLNA / Bluetooth and you want it to remain like this, DO NOT INSTALL the spotify update !

This update is corrupted and makes the device completely unable to connect to your Wi-Fi network.

The only way it can connect wirelessly after this update is Bluetooth.

Restoring the factory defaults also doesn't work !

JBL has already removed this file from the server.

Unfortunately I had this file and installed it yesterday - now my JBL L16 is handicapped.

Waiting for the JBL support to send me the proper files to get my speaker back to work 😞

You may also read about similiar problem in one of amazon's comments about this product.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R17EE60E2POHJ8/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00I5O2KV...

Hi subuk420,

Have you heard anything back from JBL support? Have they sent you any firmware file? I have the same problem - installed the update and now only bluetooth is working.
Marked as solution

Hi there,

I got the older firmware file from JBL UK.

US JBL support sucks c..ks, balls deep !

After the downgrade I tried a couple times upgrading it again after doing the factory reset, but without luck.

Recently I got Spotify upgrade file from another source and it works !

The procedure I used is:

1. Factory reset.
2. Older firmware installation
3. Check if it connects to Wi-Fi (now it should do)
4. Factory reset.
5. Spotify firmware installation (now everything works as expected)

PM me your e-mail so I can send you both the older and spotify firmwares.

Thank You a lot Subuk!

Your advise is very helpful; following your instructions everything went smoothly and now i can switch directly to my Authentics 16 JBL speakers from any ios or android device!

Hi Subuk,

I've got exactly the same issue as you, I do the firmware upgrade from the JBL US support web site, and wifi/airplay is not working anymore. Could you send me please both your older and spotify firmware please ?

Thanks!

Schrein

Done 🙂

Hello,

here is my experience :

1. Download firmware from JBL US support http://www.jbl.com/content?ContentID=authentics > Software Upgrade >
    JBL Authentic L16 Spotify software upgrade (Multilingual) 3.85 MB
  2. Unzip archive "JBL Authentic L16 Spotify software upgrade - Multilingual.zip »
  3. Copy JBL_L16.HUI at the root of a FAT32 USB key.
  4. Plug the key on the iPad USB connector of the JBL L16 .
  5. Hold both selector and on/off buttons during 10 seconds in order to start the upgrade process, after that, volume’s leds are blinking red and drawing a white circle. It's quite long, could be up the 30 minutes. 10 minutes in my case.
  6. The trickiest part, I needed to do a factory reset (hold on/off button for 10 seconds) because the L16 could not connect to my Wi-Fi anymore. After the first factory reset, I tried to use my iOS device in order to setup network (9.2.1) but Wi-Fi settings failed. I did a second factory reset, and use the manual setup with a PC (DNLA buttons, and connect to the SSID JBL_XXX), and now it works.

It was definitely not easy. It could be very interesting to have a firmware version number of the L16 speakers in order to be sure about the process to follow for a successful upgrade .

Now I can enjoy the Spotify Connect with my L16 🙂

Glad to hear your speaker is functional again 🙂

In my case factory reset (on Spotify Firmware installed) didn't bring any result - still could not connect Wi-Fi by ANY of multiple possible ways.

Hi Subuk,

I've got exactly the same issue as you, I do the firmware upgrade from the JBL US support web site, and wifi/airplay is not working anymore. Could you send me please both your older and spotify firmware please ?

Thanks!

takara3104

Sure, just PM me your e-mail 🙂

I have the same problems, but have the JBL L8. Can somebody help me?

Thanks!

This problem sucks hard! 

I receive multiple questions from L8 users with the same problem.
I only have the firmware for L16.
I would not risk installing L16 FW on L8 speaker - you may brick it completely.
I suggest you to contact UK's JBL support - they helped me.
All the others (tried US, PL, JP) didn't give a sh.t

Thanks for the fast reply. Can you send me your spotify firmware? Maybe the file is bricked on the site? I think the spotify firmware is the same on L16 an L8.

The trick is you need an older firmware to get it back to work.

Spotify firmware won't do the job.

You need the older (without spotify) firmware.

The procedure that worked for me is described on the first site of this thread and marked as a solution.

Of course I can e-mail you those file if you still want to try 🙂

my l16 upgrade is running long time so i stopped it and tried mutiple times still no luck. can you pls send the older and spotify firmware?

Can you plz send me the old version too? I want to use wifi/dlna instead of spotify 😞

Never mind, did fix it by the files from jbl websites but the only app is not working for streaming my music when I put it on dlna mode is jbl app lol it sees my L16 while in dlna mode in the app but not shows it in out put list so I can select it to play. I'm using Samsung Music Player for streaming my music to it.

Suggested posts