Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

lossless quality maybe?

Solved!

lossless quality maybe?

hello

do Spotify has any intention to release lossless quality, i see on ideas the topic is dated 2017 and i am sure people been calling for this transition even before that.. there is no way if Spotify considered it, it would take this long besides till now the idea status is "good idea" not even under construction or something. if you guys not intending to make the change so we just find outselves another service that offers better quality as right now i cant just pay for two subs here and there, its either here or somewhere else that offer better sound quality coz even when i compare my ripped 320kbps mp3 to the highest quality on spotify prem, the difference is HUGE, my local files are way better although supposedly its the same quality spotify claim to stream.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Good news!

Spotify has announced that later this year lossless quality is coming and it will be called Spotify HiFi

Check out my blog post about it

Check out this news article for more information:

Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Hi @Doudar,

Same Here.. Wanting For Spotify Lossless And Also Spotify Cloud Services.. There Are Many Who Want And I Am Sure If Spotify Include These, Their Premium Members Will Definitely Increase.. However, For The Time Being We Can Only Hope For The Best That Spotify Will Definitely Look Into Our Demand That We Are Asking That Too Not For Free.. We Will Definitely Go For / Will Stay To Premium For Lossless And Cloud Service.. These Will Be Definitely A Game Changing For Spotify.. Though They Have Already Changed The Game In The Past By Reviving The Music Industry.. But Now, There's Huge Competitions, Especially Players Like Tidal And Deezer Are Doing Spot On In Terms Of Quality Of Sound.. Now, It's Time For Spotify To Move A Step Ahead Of Others..

Hoping For The Best..

With Best Wishes & Regards,
Rahul Haldar - Spotify's Diehard & Loyal Fan

TERRIBLE SOUND with Spotify Premium with NO LOSSLESS CD Quality content and streaming.

Just offer SPOTIFY LOSSLESS for $2 more a month for audiophiles who want it, they'll pay for it!

Update: Came back a year later to check back in and try again. NOPE. After using Tidal Hi-Fi, Quobuz, Amazon music Premium and WOW, what a difference, the sound of Spotify Premium is super compressed sounding, highs are rolled off, bottom end low frequency is rolled off, sound stage is compressed. Its too bad Spotify does not have leaders and engineers who understand what people want.

Love the user interface and learning engine, but it sounds weak, nothing like Tidal HiFi.

Using Spotify to find and learn music, and add the music on Tidal and listen to it THERE instead.

Wake up Spotify...

On trial period with Qobuz. And it is no contest. Spotify's sound quality is really low. There are 3 things that they beat Qobuz:

1. There are a few songs that I like, but are not available on Qobuz

2. The Spotify mobile app controls the desktop app, which is the way I like, since my PC is on the audio rack.

3. Suggestions - I find that Spotify makes better suggestions than Qobuz.

But as a audiophile, the nod goes to Qobuz - without an iota of doubt.

I tried tidal out a few years back, and absolutely loved the sound quality!  Only reason I came back to Spotify was because Spotify had a much larger catalog at the time, and a much better UI.  Tidal now has a larger catalog, so the UI is the only thing that's keeping me...if Spotify doesn't add this soon, they'll be loosing yet another customer to the vastly superior tidal or Amazon music, or qobuz...fix**bleep** Spotify

For UI I use my Apple Mac laptop to find and select music on Tidal now, headphones if needed. The UI application on OSX/laptop is better than the iPad or iPhone simple due to real estate on the screen to see features of the app. THEN, I go to the iPad or iPhone and play my play lists from there. I went back to Spotify for a bit to see if I could find more and save off a few playlists and such, but I always go right back to Tidal Hi-Fi to listen using a regular non-oversampling R2R Ladder DAC and it sounds just like CD quality. MQA compress and decompress and all that is not needed with a good DAC and audio system, Tidal kills it there.

Someone always comes up with a better mousetrap in time. Remember MySpace?

I enjoy listening to music I've never heard before, and that's the 1 area I think Spotify truly excels, between discover weekly, release radar, and its daily mix, it's the only think keeping me from doing the same as you...at least for the time being...

Spotify lossless has been for request here since 2014 - this will not happened before Spotify see wast numbers clearly in their statistics leaving their services.

I had Tidel for a period but I hated their playlist and music suggestions - sound quality was great but allover user experience made decision to stay with Spotify for a while.

Now I waiting for Amazon music HD which is still not available in Sweden - Their service and playlist is great and as soon they turn on HD I will leave Spotify and most probably never return.

Same for me!

I'm in the same boat as all the folk in this thread. I've been trailing Tidal Hifi for 6 months and the difference in sound quality between Spotify and Tidal is night and day,  Tidal's sound quality is so so much better.

The only thing Spotify wins over Tidal is the UI and its only a matter of time before Tidal or the others will eventually catch up with their UI, once that happens I'm gone from Spotify.

So come on Spotify up your game because its only a matter of time before you will start to losing subscribers and once they go it will be hard to persuade them back. Also think of the extra revenue you will get for a lossless service.

Music is about hearing it how the musicians intended it to hear.

For a few years I haven't paid close attention to audio quality other than setting Spotify to "very high" quality. Recently had opportunity to upgrade both my desktop and lounge systems, towards the "serious end of HiFi" rather than pushing audiophile. But even with this level of equipment the gap between lossless CD and Spotify is becoming too much of a stretch. Everyone I "informally blind test" prefers the CD quality input. (yes, imperfect scientific methodology noted)

I don't want to switch to a different service but basically feel I have to in order to enjoy the music as much as I should.

Subscribe to tidal?

A few options these days. I have only compared Spotify against files that I have self-ripped from CD so far thus I couldn't add anything on choice of hi-fidelity service.

BTW I also used a Sony 24-bit test track. I feel CD is fine for my current enjoyment. But 24-bit (for my ears and equipment) does make an audible difference in some passages.

Yeah, super annoying Spotify doesn't get with the times and has been ignoring their customers for years. I have been a Premium subscriber for a long time and recently decided to try some lossless options. I am on a free trial with Tidal HiFi for now and it definitely sounds much better even on regular HiFi(not to mention Masters). I am a Prime member too so, I will be trying Amazon Music HD soon as well. Once my free trials are up I am going to decide which to keep. I was going to upgrade to a Premium family plan as my spouse wants Premium now too but, I'm sick of Spotify ignoring this issue and am going to cancel my Premium membership out of principle. Shame on you for not listening to your customers Spotify, my money is going elsewhere and I know I am not the only one... 

Spotify Pop-Up "Tell Us What You Think".   Uh, we already did, multiple times.  You don't listen to your customers.  The paradigm shift we alerted Spotify about is now!   

UPDATE: 

A few audiophile friends re-testing Qobuz & Tidal, just made the move over to Amazon HD Music, notable progress the past year, starting with FLAC/Lossless.

Amazon HD Music: 

1. FLAC Lossless content offered (HD plan); heads up Audiophiles!   

2.$12.99/mo for Prime members

3. 60 million tracks and more coming

4. 2 million songs now offered in "Ultra HD".  No more searching.  

5. Use free Spotify to learn tracks, pay and play in Amazon HD (FLAC, lossless)

Oh, Amazon pays music artists more than Tidal and Spotify.  See link below.  

When bean counters at Spotify finally learn of this customer trend, it will be too late.

https://www.soundguys.com/amazon-music-hd-review-29137/

I JUST DON'T GET WHY SPOTIFY IS SO SILENCE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT!!
If you want to lose a part of your customer base that's exactly one good way to do it.

You are on an edge right now, like Nokia who did not adapt to their business environment.
I don't want to cancel my subscription because I love Spotify. I have my premium account since the begging.

I have tried other services, and yet, the discography on Spotify is largely the best on the market. I can find all the music I look for and was never disappointed compared to Yahoo Music or Tidal for example.

Also the interface is largely better than the other services.

So you have the best product, but when it comes to Music, having the best sound quality is actually the MOST important part. People won't hesitate to switch because of that.

So be smart and COMMUNICATE ABOUT IT!!!!

WE WANT HI-FI NOW! WE WOULD LITERALLY ACCEPT TO PAY MORE FOR IT NOW!

IF YOU DO AGREE SLAP THE LIKE BUTTON NOW!!!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Community!

We understand that music quality is very important for the whole listening experience and will make sure to pass your feedback to the right folks. In the meantime, we recommend that you upvote and subscribe to this idea if you haven't already. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon as there are any.

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I canceled Spotify premium, Tidal Hifi is truly eye opening as to how big the difference in the audio quality is.

Tidal is right there with Spotify now with machine learning and recommendations, sorry Spotify but that's the harsh reality. Don't let your past success get to your head and listen to your valuable customers who've been screaming at the top of their voices past a few years.

You've lost a customer just a moment ago (me). Just like everyone else, if you add a "premium lossless" tier for a few $ more a month more, i'll consider coming back.

Till then, Adios

I had previously posted 3 point where Spotify wins over Qoubuz or Tidal.
Looks like we are down to 2 now.
Tidal now has "Connect" which is similar to Spotify connect. Would like Amazon HD and Qobuz come up with this. If Amazon comes up with Connect, it would be game over for me, as I will immediately switch to Amazon HD. I use Foobar2000 to play my DSF and FLAC to the DAC using MonkeyMote. Tried Audirvana, but there is not connection for Spotify or Amazon HD. Hence want Amazon to come up with a Connect app.

LOSSLESSSSSSSSSSSS PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Suggested posts