Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

offline not working with Samsung Gear Sport

Solved!

offline not working with Samsung Gear Sport

I run without my phone, using the Spotify app in offline mode with the Samsung Gear Sport.  The app is nearly useless; although my 200-song playlist is downloaded, it only shows the first 20 or so songs.  It often gets hung up where it stops playing altogether and I can't move forward or back through the list.  I've deleted and reinstalled multiple times and it doesn't help.  Has anyone else had this problem?

104 Replies

I'm having the same issue .when I'm running and samsung health comes on to tell me my pace,time etc the music doesn't come back on .it can be 3km, 4km or 5km in .when I try to relaunch spotify the watch shuts down or freezes for 3/4 mins comes back on but still no sound .I then have to reboot.this is pathetic 

I like so many bought a Samsung watch for the sake of spotify and have experienced nothing but grief trying to set it up.

If it helps, I found it works by doing the following

1) login: if you try to login with your usual spotify username and pw you'll have no luck. You need to search spotify device password. Login your usual spotify account on pc or phone and get taken to a account setting to set a device password. Once done you'll get an email confirming and which will give you your device use name which is actually a  long number. Login with the number plus the pw you just created which is unique to devices/wearables only.

2) setup: login to spotify with wifi and Bluetooth enabled to sync and download offline content

3) use spotify without phone: turn off wifi on watch, turn off bluetooth on phone otherwise watch will connect to phones wifi via bluetooth. Then run spotify and offline playlist will work.

My understanding is if data connection breaks or changes whilst spotify is running, it kills the app. Therefore kill data before you use spotify and dont reconnect during use.

I can still use bluetooth headphones because I turned off wifi on watch and Bluetooth on phone leaving bluetooth on the watch.

Hope that helps !

I have a Gear S3 and have had similar issues. I can hit 'shuffle play' on a downloaded playlist in offline mode and it will start playing the first song (the same song every time). But after about 10 seconds it stops. I can skip to the next song and that will play for 10 seconds at most, but that's it. I cannot play any other songs, and the only music I get is 10 seconds on each of those two songs.

I tried disabling/renabling bluetooth and wifi with no luck. Someone suggested un-pairing/re-pairing with my phone but I'm hesitant to do that, as when I switched phones I lost most of my watch's settings.

I cannot believe that not even a single Spotify rep has commented on this thread. I like many others got the Gear S3 primarily for the offline Spotify functionality, and yet like many other premium subscribers I have to deal with the Gear S3 app that should never have passed QA and even then should have been fixed a long time ago.

I had the same prob. Before you plan to go offline you need to go into the
offline menu then delete the cache of downloaded music. Then redownload
your playlist again then go offline when compete and turn off wifi on
watch. I've been doing this now for last ten offline sessions and works
every time.

@OliverFutter: yeah I reached out to Spotify support and they did seem to indicate that this was a cache issue. Kind of felt like the nuclear option, but what they had me do worked:

"...we can see that something occurred with the offline files on your devices. It seems the cache has become corrupted and was disconnected from the app.

To fix this, we've made some changes backstage to prevent the issue from happening again. All you need to do now is to restart your WiFi router (to isolate the issue). 

After doing so, it'd also best to turn off your devices and back on to refresh everything and lastly, reinstall the app on your phone and watch."

Could you please post if you have a solution to this watch freezing in spotify offline mode. Its driving me crazy.

Hi, my solution is that I have to delete cached offline songs and redownload then all again just before I plan to go offline.

It works every time using this method but is a pain for sure and needs a permanent fix.

Thanks for your answer. Will give it a try.

Same problem here. Let me know If Spotify Will do anything to fix it. It's stupid pay for premium and have to delete cache and download again everytime. 

After many months of frustration since I bought the watch, I've had some success by doing the following:

1) I factory reset the watch - I did this not because I thought this would sort Spotify but I had one run where the GPS went mental and did not track my run properly so I just factory reset the thing to start again.

2) Obviously, I then re-installed everything, including Spotify and re-downloaded my offline music.

3) Now, here's the crux of things I think and what many people have said. You must turn off wifi before using offline in anger. In fact, I only turn the wifi on when I am syncing offline lists. In this way, I pretty much have 95% success rate in leaving my phone at home on a run and in the locker when I go to the gym.

So, where is the 5% failure?

Very occasionally, the player just stops pushing music to my bluetooth headset. I think this is a bluetooth issue with Spotify as if I have a backup playlist that I uploaded to the watch (in case this sort of thing happens) and if I switch to using this, it works immediately. To get around this, if you restart Spotify from the menu (not the widget), it seems to reconnect but clearly, mid-run, this is a pain.

I am not sure what causes this glitch out. Part of me thinks it is caused by sometimes changing the track and sometimes, as others have pointed out when Samsung assistant interrupts to tell you your split time and distance run so far (which you can turn off).

One thing that really does not work (again, with no wifi and on an offline list) and is very annoying is if you go into a playlist and use the bezel to scroll down, it just will not load any more tracks on the screen after say 12 or so tracks (works fine when connected to wifi) - This is very annoying as Shuffle does not work and so if you want to go to songs on the bottom of a long playlist, you need to literally press "Next track" 100's of times - This makes me seeth as clearly the tracks are there on the watch and work ok using the back/forward controls.

So, in summary, since I factory reset, I've been much happier and had a dozen or so gym visits and runs just using the watch and not having to take my phone. However, there are still some irritating things such as no shuffle and the bezel selection issue as well as the bluetooth dropout (which I'm not sure is Spotify's fault) that need sorting out.

Hope this helps someone

Mike

Thanks Mikeprag! This works here.
But i will follow to a definitive solution from Spotify! 
They have to fix this!

Wish I'd seen this thread yesterday - I signed up to premium this week purely to use it with my Gear Sport. On my run today it quit as soon as S health assistant kicked in. Useless.

I'm not willing to **bleep** around with resetting stuff and turning WiFi on and off - I just want the things I pay for to work as they should! Sort it out Spotify, or this new customer is going to become an ex-customer.

Yep, I'm totally with you and it's absolutely ridiculous that no one from Spotify or Samsung has really taken ownership of this but unfortunately, I'm stuck with this device now. I think almost everyone bought this based on the strength of Spotify so you would think that if the major selling point is not working, someone would make it a priority to fix it.

Has anyone got an open ticket with Spotify or had any updates. I'm wondering whether it's now worth highlighting this to someone like https://www.wareable.com/ so it gets a voice outside of this thread.

Mike

Good lord, finally someone has the exact same problem. Is there a working solution yet? I read somewhere that you have to remove your offline devices on the website, then restart everything. I tried that, but the problem remains. I can use the gear app as a remote for the phone, but what's the point? I want to use it as an independent player. 

Thanks a lot for the idea. It seems like the device password was created for just that. However, when I wanted to have the mail with the password sent to me, it said that my email was not... How to say in English? Well, they couldn't send me one, a red box said. I'm logged in via Facebook, so my email is saved and I can't even change it. What can I do? 

Wow man, what a reply. Thanks. I hope this helps many of you. Unfortunately, my problem stays that I can't even download music on the gear. I can only use remote mode. I can't log in using Facebook and spotify says they can't send me device password to use the normal login. This is so frustrating. 

Just to give you all an update. If you refer to my previous lengthy post describing how I got spotify offline working it is still working 100% off the time.

The irritating part is that I need to delete cached music every time.

Before I go gym or run I follow the procedure of:

1) connect watch to wifi

2) load spotify

3) go settings and offline

4) delete cached music

5) go playlists under 'your music'

6) redownload playlists

7) when finished go settings and go offline

😎 turn off wifi on watch

It takes 5 mins to redownload a couple of lengthy playlists.

Spotify says cached music gets corrupt when the device puts spotify into power saving which is required otherwise the watch would last less than a day. Hopefully a long term fix is coming but at least it works 100% off time albeit a 5 minute aggravation.

I didn't pay samsung and spotify to go thru this every other day. It's not acceptable. Samsung .spotify.get your act together. 

I have had two long Twitter DM threads with Spotify support.  Both times it ended with them basically saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and actually blaming Samsung.  It's a joke

Hey Everyone

I have a solution!! After such a long time, I asked Spotify Support on Facebook. Within minutes, I had an answer and it works for my Gear Sport. I have tested it, I can now listen to music on the go that I have downloaded onto the watch.
What you need to do is this.
You have to reset your password. Www.spotify.com/password-reset?
You enter a new password there. Personally, I registered with my Facebook login. It still works, you change the Spotify Password and you automatically get a numerical username via Mail. Then you can log into Spotify on your watch witch the numerical username and the new password. It's login via Spotify then, obviously, not via Facebook. But it is the same account.

Did that work for you as well?

Suggested posts