Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

offline not working with Samsung Gear Sport

Solved!

offline not working with Samsung Gear Sport

I run without my phone, using the Spotify app in offline mode with the Samsung Gear Sport.  The app is nearly useless; although my 200-song playlist is downloaded, it only shows the first 20 or so songs.  It often gets hung up where it stops playing altogether and I can't move forward or back through the list.  I've deleted and reinstalled multiple times and it doesn't help.  Has anyone else had this problem?

104 Replies

I had the same issue also. I found that if I alter the playlist on my phone
I need to:
1) Make sure watch and phone are connected via bluetooth and wifi on Auto.
Then go into 'Device manager' on my samsung phone to clear cache (this
secretly clears spotify cache on watch also).
2) On watch open Spotify and it will now ask you to log back in
3) On watch - offline and delete download
4) Connect to wifi (on not auto) with watch
5) playlist - download again
6) Wifi - turn off
7) On phone - turn off bluetooth

As mentioned in my previous posts, it is the phone's maintenance/cleaner
that screws up the Spotify app on the watch.

had the same issue also. I found that if I alter the playlist on my phone I need to:

1) Make sure watch and phone are connected via bluetooth and wifi on 'Auto'. Then go into 'Device manager' on my samsung phone to clear cache (this also clears spotify cache on watch).
2) On watch open Spotify and it will now ask you to log back in
3) On watch - offline and delete download
4) Connect to wifi (on NOT auto) with watch
5) playlist - download again
6) Wifi - turn off
7) On phone - turn off bluetooth

As mentioned in my previous posts, it is the phone's maintenance/cleaner that screws up the Spotify app on the watch. 

This is ridiculous. I bought the Gear Sport exactly for the offline play feature and it is broken. The workaround is a joke and a bad one. I will return the watch.

Does anyone know if this thread has lost its impact because it has been marked as Solved? Surely it would be better to remain unsolved as the solution is not good enough. I'm assuming that anyone from Spotify won't look at solved issues. 

Yes, I agree that it is not solved at all.
It seems that when it comes to external integration Spotify is becoming terrible (see also the horrible auto shuffling with Alexa).
There is no way to have a decent offline experience on devices that are no phones (Maybe Garmin? but I am scared to try given the horrible experiences with Samsung).

Who can remove the solved from the ticket?

What impact? 

Spotify **bleep**s for his customer and Samsung either. They have the policy "too big to fail"

Nobody will care anymore. The watch is already on outsale for half of price. 

The garmin experience is to dangerous for me too. 

The garmin is 500€ 😬😬😬

Regards 

PS I don't know how to get to unsolved! Maybe new thread 

PS2 never buy any item from Samsung and my family is with 5 persons of 6 on apple. Guess what is my next step? Apple music! And it works with the apple watch perfect 😃

I'm still wondering why they hire low qualified software developers when it comes to a feature that is supposed to be a unique selling point. My grandma would have done better and at least tested the offline mode a single time. How dumb must you be not to figure it is broken? It is not a minor glitch it is a f*****g major bug.

I wonder who changed it to solved as it is NOT solved for sure!

and you reboot the watch and you start again...

This is NOT the solution. It is a workaround. Spotify should figure this out! CMON!

This is EXACTLY what is happening with my Gear S3. It drives me totally bonkers when I’m out running to the point I want to smash the thing to pieces! Was totally the reason I bought the thing. It’s so temperamental! Utter tripe.

So ridiculous though isn’t it! 

This is not a solution, only an ugly workaround. Plese untag this thread as solved

Turn on wifi on watch and spotify, start playing downloaded mudic and turn off wifi on watch. It should play dowloaded songs offline. Also keep in mind the manual states that after 1 GB is full of downloaded songs, it starts to overwritten the oldest ones. Total memory on S4 is 4 GB.

Insane that years after release this thing (gear s3) cant just play offline music and track a run.

Do you think apple would do somthing like this? Samsung would be driving away customers, should be working with Spotify until resolved.

I moved to Tidal a few months ago and it works great with my Samsung Galaxy
Watch. They also have a tool to migrate your playlists from Spotify to Tidal

I felt like it was never gonna work again until they released a new version. 

Luckily I tried what people were saying wouldn't work. I uninstalled the app and installed it again. Lost my offline content, of course. But it worked!

There's a plus. The new version is even allowing to use th shuffle! 

It did stress me badly in the morning when I went for a run. But I managed to fix in the afternoon!

This question is marked as solved, and this particular message is identified as the solution. As the author of the message says themselves, it is NOT a solution. I don't know if Spotify tagged it as solved, but it is pathetic.

I was able to solve a problem with a playlist pressing the button download off after already downloaded all songs, then I press the button to download again. Apparently some verification is done and things start to work again.

Suggested posts