Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Oops somethign went wrong" in the web player

Solved!

"Oops somethign went wrong" in the web player

I've been using Spotify on my work computer (web player) since over a year without problems. 4 days ago I opened the web player to find it updated (a new look) and no longer working. I can browse my artists and titles fine, but when I try to play anything I just says: "Oops, something went wrong. Reload" - but it never works.

I'm using Chrome 48.0.264.97 and Flash 22.0.0.209

I'm aware that there's a newer Flash version, but since this is a work computer I can't update it freely or download the Spotify desktop version. I've also seen threads with the same problem for people who are on the newest version of both Chrome and Flash, so there might be a different issue causing this. All threads I've seen regarding the issue have been left completely unanswered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since it's not worth it having a spotify Premium if I can't use it for the majority of my day. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Lots of folks are having trouble. I've found something that works for me on my new Linux setup, but it may work for others--as it appears to be a browser issue.

Here's what I posted:

Web Player Workaround (for something went wrong, Reload)

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey guys,

I had the same issue on ubuntu 16.04.
It tried different solutions (e.g. enable libavcode in firefox) but that did'nt work for me.
If you still experience problems, try this solution for firefox:

- Type about:preferences in the adress bar.
- Click "content".

- Check "Play DRM content".

Et voilá: Spotify is working again!

Bye
gingerBox

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @Rukuma!

They must be doing work on the Web Player. I recommend using the desktop app as it has more features. 

Wow, way to only read half the post and respond with a useless suggestion!

Hi, Rukuma

I have exactly the same problem.

By using the dev tools provided by both Firefox and Google Chrome, I found the following error message when the browser loads the web player (I replaced some parts of the message by "xxxxxxx"):

WebSocket connection to 'wss://dealer.spotify.com/?access_token=xxxxxx ... ' failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
r.authenticate @ web-player.xxxxxxx.js:29
/browse:1 Uncaught (in promise) false

Apparently, my corporate proxy doesn't support WebSockets, which the new Spotify Web Player is now using. I believe you may have the same problem.

The old Spotify Web Player, which used Adobe Flash player to decode the audio stream, was perfectly compatible with my corporate proxy if I appended the string in red to the URL:

https://play.spotify.com/?http=1 

The launch of the new Spotify Web Player left me with no alternatives to use Spotify, as I'm not allowed to install the Spotify App in my work PC (and I'm not sure it would work either).

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed response! Sounds like it really is that, and the Spotify staff haven't gotten back to me about it.. what a shame 😞

But it's nice to know I'm not the only one with the problem, should I ever find a work around I'll let you know!

Hi, Rukuma.

I have contacted Spotify client support directly and explained my problem several times, in different manners, but although they were very polite and replied very quickly, I felt they didn't understand my problem and have always provided me standard answers that didn't address it. Apparently, they also made no effort in investigating this issue, although it's probably affecting many people.

It has been one week since I was last able to listen to music using Spotify.

All that I mentioned above and the fact that the web player user interface change was done without much care for the users, led me to test the Deezer web player. I found that the Deezer web player works very well through my company's proxy and doesn't require Adobe Flash Player. It also has several control options, like sound quality and HTML5, and it seems functional and stable so far (but I've been testing it since yesterday only).

Good to know!

On my part: I've been asking my colleagues about their experiences with Spotify, and they all said it was still working fine by them. So I tried again a week ago - and it worked like it used to. Up until a few days after - SAME problem again.

Since this is getting frustrating: Deezer it is! Thank you 🙂

OK, this is just getting plain stupid.

Got forced over to much more limited version of desktop player which was quite frustrating in itself as it lacks all the features I normally use. 

Now, just like everyone else here, it doesn't work AT ALL.

I am now officially paying money for a service I cannot use even for a second.  No audio.  Just error message that something went wrong.  Worked absolutely fine previously.

Marked as solution

Lots of folks are having trouble. I've found something that works for me on my new Linux setup, but it may work for others--as it appears to be a browser issue.

Here's what I posted:

Web Player Workaround (for something went wrong, Reload)

Marked as solution

Hey guys,

I had the same issue on ubuntu 16.04.
It tried different solutions (e.g. enable libavcode in firefox) but that did'nt work for me.
If you still experience problems, try this solution for firefox:

- Type about:preferences in the adress bar.
- Click "content".

- Check "Play DRM content".

Et voilá: Spotify is working again!

Bye
gingerBox

Still an issue huh? You would think Spotify would be on top of this

Suggested posts