Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Problem: Unable to play file type for...". Moderator please help

Solved!

"Problem: Unable to play file type for...". Moderator please help

When using the spotlfy app from squeeze box I get this message every time: "Problem: Unable to play file type for" then list the song name. I can pick the music and see the art but no play. This is when I am attempting to stream from spotlfy on squeeze box. Logitech customer service told me spotlfy has not been running on squeezebox for weeks. Please help or I'll have to cancel subscription.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have exactly the same problem and get the similar error message in german: "Problem: Dateityp kann nicht wiedergegeben für: title..."! Is there anybody out there who can help, because the squeezebox has been the main motivation for signing up Spotify Premium. If this doesn't work this doesn't make sense for me!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Jogman I was able to get spotlfy to play on the squeeze box a few days ago. I had to open up the squeezebox server on my computer. Go to the bottom of the setting panel. Here you can go to "Advanced or Advanced Settings". Spotify requires a special plugin ("3rd party spotify plugin")

"Settings->Plugins", enable "3rd Party Plugins" at the bottom of that page and then install "3rd Party Spotify plugin").

Marked as solution

Great!  now I can't even find my spotify app on my squeezebox.  It went away, i have no idea why and i can't even find it to reinstall.  Back to the drawing board.  Crazy.  It shouldn't be this difficult. 

18 Replies
Marked as solution

I have exactly the same problem and get the similar error message in german: "Problem: Dateityp kann nicht wiedergegeben für: title..."! Is there anybody out there who can help, because the squeezebox has been the main motivation for signing up Spotify Premium. If this doesn't work this doesn't make sense for me!

Marked as solution

Jogman I was able to get spotlfy to play on the squeeze box a few days ago. I had to open up the squeezebox server on my computer. Go to the bottom of the setting panel. Here you can go to "Advanced or Advanced Settings". Spotify requires a special plugin ("3rd party spotify plugin")

"Settings->Plugins", enable "3rd Party Plugins" at the bottom of that page and then install "3rd Party Spotify plugin").

Melissa, thanks a lot! That's it! Spotify does work now on all my Logitech Media Server players like Receiver, but also iPad/iPod (with iPeng) and the Squeezeplayer on my Nexus!!!
Marked as solution

Great!  now I can't even find my spotify app on my squeezebox.  It went away, i have no idea why and i can't even find it to reinstall.  Back to the drawing board.  Crazy.  It shouldn't be this difficult. 

Bonjour, 

j'utilise logitech media server pour écouter de la musique sur plusieurs ordinateur avec squeeze play beta. J'ai bine installer les 2 plugin (spotify + le triode) et sur le serveur, la musique a l'air de tourner. Par contre, sur squeeze play, aucun son ne sort , et le message "unable to play file type" apparait après un moment. J'ai essayé plusieurs chose mais rien n'a fonctionné... 

De même, lorsque je lance le "self test" il m'indique "helper app not running". 

Pourtant des radios telles que radio paradise fonctionnent. 

J'ai le même problème de lecture avec deezer... 

Avez-vous une idée de la solution ? 

Merci ! 

The 3rd party plug-in solved this problem for me, but only after I'd figured out a few other things, so I'm sharing them here:

a) You have to have BOTH plug-ins running, both the v 1.0 "official Spotify plug-in "  *and*  the third party plug-in, which is on v2.3.8 as I write this.

b) after you have activated the third party plug-in (and re-started the Squuezebox server)  You have to open up the settings for the plug-in ( link in the far right colum)  I don't think it matters how you choose to set these (I didn't mess with them.) The critical thing is that you must log into your Spotify account from within the this plug-in settings screen in order for the 3rd party plug-in to do its job.  (And maybe you'll have to re-start the Squeezebox server yet again.  I just do that without even thinking when trying to sort out these problems.)

What makes this all challenging is that the symptoms change at each step:  At first, with just the official plug-in activated, I got the "can't read file format" error message.  After activating the 3rd party plug in (but before logging in from inside it)  Spotify appeared to be working perfectly on the screen of my Squeezbox controller, indicating that a song was playing (even the bright white light  that shows something is streaming was lit.) However. no sound was actually coming through.  After I logged in as above, I finally got music to match all the on-screen indications.

No logic to this that I can figure out.  It just seems typical of life with Squeezebox.

Thank you, you helped me get my raspberry pi, running squeezebox and spotify working properly!

Thanks, this will work...
The problem is, I have connected Spotify through my FB account and there is no password/uswername
Any suggestions?

Great advice!

The problem was driving me crazy!

playing Spotify on Squeezebox Transporter.png

I solved the password issue.

I am using squeezebox classic and apparently you need Spotify premium in order to listen Spotify on this device.

Is there anyway to listen Spotify basic on squeezebox classic?

HI,

I have the same problem wheere it cant play media type...I am not using squeezebox media server. I jsut linked my spotify premium account and stream directly. isnt it suppose to work this way?

I can't find the "settings" panel when I'm in Mysqueezebox on my computer.  I've looked all over the screen and it's just not there.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

I just looked and it's still down in the lower right corner of the home web page. Check your browser and make sure you're now cutting off part of that screen.

That did it for me - for some reason you have to have the 3rd party plugin installed and configured for the official plugin to work.

This solution (thanks!) does only seem to work on the Server and not streaming through squeezebox.com. Does anyone know how to make it work streaming, please?

Man I am having the same issue, I have installed the protocol plugin, I have the logitech plugin also running. I have the creddentials logged in on the plugin. I have restarted the LMS, I have restarted my Qnap. I have reset my duet, and powered on and off the remote.. no go still unable to read file type..

I am running LMS 7.7.2 on a QNAP. I cannot upgrade as LMS is no longer supported. It's the onlything I can think of that may be the issue. I am guessing everyone here is probably on a newer version.. But in searching it appears this plugin was written and implemented around 7.7.2 so I thought  it would still work..

any help apreciated..

You are right about installing the 2 plug-in into the squeezebox server, but...

Spotify is also available from mysqueezebox.com. So I should be able to play direcly from the web using mysqueezebox.com interface without a PC running the squeezebox server.

No way to use mysqyeezebox.com only: the catalog (lists of albums, songs, playlists, etc) are showing right, but as I try to play I get the errors above (about problems with the file type or so...)

You are not on your own my friend. 

Suggested posts