Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Widevine" Module Can't Stop Crashing in new Chrome

"Widevine" Module Can't Stop Crashing in new Chrome

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 7.16.30 PM.png

I updated Chrome today (10/18/2017) and now Spotify web player can't stop crashing. Anybody else having this problem?

Firefox seems to still work fine.

PS: Why is it such an elaborate topic secret mission just to post on here? I literally had to Google "how tf do you post on spotify forum" and even then it took me to some where "ask the community" page before finally taking you to the post something page. 

10 Replies

Hmm, that sounds wierd. I think it's the Google's fault. Sounds like the new update is buggy. You should go to Twitter and hit them with @Google and tell them their buggy update. 

I've noticed Netflix won't work any more either and keeps blaming this wack Widevine module

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 4.17.31 PM.png

I've checked Chrome's "compenents" page and it says WIdevine is up to date

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 4.20.46 PM.png

i have te exact same problem . has anyone found a  solution?

thanks!

hi i managed to solve it. i went to the directory:

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/62.0.3202.75/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64

and renamed the dynamic libraries like this:

mv libwidevinecdm.dylib _libwidevinecdm.dylib

mv libwidevinecdm.dylib.sig _libwidevinecdm.dylib.sig

then I restarted chrome and entered the  components page

chrome://components

And clicked to update widevine. which updated to a newer version:

Widevine Content Decryption Module - Version: 1.4.8.1000

then it all worked.
I hope this helps.

hi i managed to solve it. i went to the directory:

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/62.0.3202.75/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64

and renamed the dynamic libraries like this:

mv libwidevinecdm.dylib _libwidevinecdm.dylib

mv libwidevinecdm.dylib.sig _libwidevinecdm.dylib.sig

then I restarted chrome and entered the  components page

chrome://components

And clicked to update widevine. which updated to a newer version:

Widevine Content Decryption Module - Version: 1.4.8.1000

then it all worked.
I hope this helps.

Thanks kazuakiba. 

I'm not a programmer though and I have no idea how to do Mr. Robot stuff like that.

Nevermind, I thought you were talking about doing some Terminal MSDOS weirdness, I didn't know you literaly meant just renaming a file. That seems to have done it though.

What does that "mv" mean?

hi,

sorry i posted the solution for mac. i thought it was implicit.

mv stands for move. moving  can rename a file if you move it to a different name.

did renaming the file alos work in windows? that is good to know. I think chrome has a bug and is not updating widevine after install.

I'm on Mac also, I just thought you were talking about coding something, which I know nothing about. But yes, this seems to have fixed the problem for everything using Widevine, including Netflix.

So "mv" could have been any letters? You just had to rename the files so that Widevine would think they were missing and download the correct or fixed files?

Well, that worked for a day, then Google updated Chrome and it stopped working again. 

I went through your steps, the file names still had the "mv" at the start, so I removed it, restarted, tried to update the Widevine component, it said it was already up to date, restarted Chrome, didn't work, re-added the "mv," re-started Chrome, tried to update Widevine, no update, re-started Chrome, still didn't work, back to the Spotify messageboards. idk

Suggested posts