Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify is not supported on this device

spotify is not supported on this device

Hello,

I have Premium spotify account (just verified that), Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400 soundbar (which officially is supported to work with spotify connect) and Amazon Echo Dot 3. I can not make Alexa playing the music from spotify on the soundbar tough.

My setup:

* Spotify is the default music provider for alexa

* Soundbar is set as default output device for echo dot

* Soundbar have integration with spotify connect set up and working

* I have both MusicCast skill enabled in alexa

* I have the spotify skill enabled in alexa

* I have latest firmware upgrade for soundbar and alexa (echo dot)

What I've tried:

* disable/enable the spotify and all musiccast skills in Alexa app

* restart the soundbar. Unplugg it from electricity for ~15 seconds

* restart soundbar

* restart echo dot

But nothing helped. Anytime i say 'alexa play song X by artist Y' then I get 'Spotify is not supported on this device'. I also tried to alter the request to 'alexa play xyz on spotify' or alexa play 'xyz on spotify on den'. Den is the name of my soundbar and other requests works (like 'alexa turn off the den' or 'alexa play xyz on amazon music on den')

Strangely, this is what is working without problems:

* When I set echo dot as default speaker and I say 'Alexa play XYZ' then alexa plays that song from spotify on the echo dot speaker

* when I play the song on spotify (i tried phone and linux client on my PC) I can see my soundbar in the 'Connect to a device' dialog and I can make the song play on the sounbar without an issue just by clicking on it.

* If i change default music provider to amazon music (for which the soundbar has support too), then echo dot is able to play the song on the soundbar.

I googled on some forums, it seems this is happening not only to mee, but the questions are either not answered, or the issue just fixed randomly one day.

Any help is appreciated

6 Replies

Hey there @kecmen84

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community and letting us know all the troubleshooting you've tried.

Just to confirm, were you previously able to use this setup to play music in the soundbar? If so, when did you notice it stopped working?

Also, could you send over the exact firmware versions that your devices are running?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the exact same issue with my Yamaha bar 40 too.

I have never been able to get Alexa to play Spotify on the soundbar, just the "Spotify is not supported on this device" message. And like the original poster, I am able to play Spotify on the device using Spotify itself. And if I ask Alexa to play Spotify on the echo dot it works just fine. Amazon music works on the soundbar via Alexa just fine too.

Bar 40 Firmware: 4.50 (1107)

API version: 2.11

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts and the information you've provided.

We've looked into this further, and as far as we're aware such interconnectivity is not possible. Even though both Alexa and Spotify are supported on the Yamaha bar, the way the device is configured won't allow for Alexa to play via Spotify on the bar.

Like @rusvdw has said you can play Spotify directly on the sound bar, but Alexa won't be able to direct your commands to Spotify on the device.

Hope this clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you for the response, but it doesn't really help in figuring out
who's responsible.

Is it a problem with Spotify or Alexa or Yamaha? If you could give us some
details on where the issue lies we can take it up with the
responsible company, or at the very least replace the component that isn't
working.

Hey @rusvdw,

Thanks for getting back to us.

This isn't an issue from any particular side as such interconnectivity is very complex.

We moderators do not have extensive knowledge of how third party devices are configured and programmed and can only analyze and provide information based on the information we ourselves have.

Our best guess is that somewhere along the line, one of the 3 APIs that are involved is not configured to factor in the passing on of the playback command throughout the full API chain, but we cannot say which of the three that might be.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

What kind of response Is that? The same problem happens also with LGs and Samsung soundbars, wich has a sticker that says Alexa and Spotify ready but in reality It does not. Years has passed since the First notification and still we are not able to find someone to tell us Who Is in charge to fix this

Suggested posts