Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

why doesn't the spotify webplayer support playback in multiple tabs?

why doesn't the spotify webplayer support playback in multiple tabs?

Hi.

When I listen to music on youtube, I love the way I can just open a new tab and play music there and the other tab where youtube might be playing just keeps playing.

This way I can easily have 2 or more playlists shuffling simultaneously, each with their independent volume control.

I love this way to listen to music (I might listen to some jazz or pop music in the foreground at a higher volume level, while I have some modern experimental music at a lower volume level playing in the background to provide a kind of atmospheric soundscape as a backdrop).

Why can't I do this with the spotify webplayer and just open another instance in a new tab and having them both playing independently?

greetings, Niek

1 Reply

Hey @dohduhdah

I'm sure the reason behind this is the fact that only one session can be active at the same time under one user account. 
Spotify Connect also recognises the other devices and web players that are open or available. You can't play on multiple devices at the same time, but you can route the playback between different devices.

If you really wanted to have two instances of Spotify playing music at the same time, you'll have to use two user accounts. 🙂

Feel free to ask if you have more queries!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts