Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How is the Spotify App for Roku so bad?

Solved!

How is the Spotify App for Roku so bad?

Let's check off the train wreck here.

You can't just see a list of all of your songs and play them. They have to be in a Playlist to play them.

But when you click on a Playlist, it just says loading but never loads forcing you to restart Roku.

Then when you restart and Spotify decides it wants to load, the songs keep freezing and skipping like an old 90s CD.

Oh, and if you downloaded new songs and saved them to your playlist during that session, the next time you log on and go through the above **bleep** show. they will ALL be gone.

Honestly they should just pull this god awful app until they can get a halfway working product. But I wouldn't hold my breath as a quick Google search shows these same issues going back 4 years.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Come on Spotify - the roku does everything I need but allow me to cast to it from my other devices to play music.  This app is so bad it would be better to not have it on the store at all - literally a waste of anyone's time who loves Spotify. 

If this app was the experience that users got using Spotify anywhere else, you'd have no company!

View solution in original post

81 Replies

From a company so dedicated to their users and apps, you'd think this would have been solved by now

For me, it will play three or four songs, sometimes more. Then the stream just seems to stop. Sometimes restarting the channel helps, sometimes not. 

I guess I'm going to try submitting something to their support? It's really terrible... I'm regularly restarting my Roku to fix the Spotify app 😕

I've had intermittent problems over the years as well (same issues as mentioned above).  The whole time, I kept telling myself that SURELY Spotify is working on getting these kinks worked out, but apparently not.  Until recently, the app never became completely unusable, so I just put up with all the bugs, but now (for whatever reason), my playlists no longer load (at all) and no amount of restarting the channel or Roku makes any difference.  Total BS.  They should be ashamed.

Agree. App is unusable. Developer and QA teams involved should be fired.

It's actually gotten worse. I can't skip tracks. I have to fast forward them like a cassette tape. Also, the arrows are being totally unpredictable. I press down and it goes down 3, then I press up and it goes up twice. If you're lucky, it'll land on the track you're looking for.

This app is unbelievably, completely broken. I am canceling my Spotify subscription, since it is completely unusable on my primary device.

It's awful - in addition to the problems mentioned here - we have two Roku ultra's connected to receivers and the sound is like the center speaker is the only speaker playing and it is inside a garbage can.  No other app displays this behavior (two different manufacturer's receivers btw) and despite multiple restarts and hdmi cable pulls, nothing will fix it.  Spotify subscription days are numbered as two of these players are our primary music playback devices in the house.  

It's so bad, it contributed to my decision to cancel my Spotify subscription. I like Spotify on my Android phone, and it's pretty good on my Windows laptop. But I listen to music mostly on my HT system streaming with Roku, and the Spotify app has become entirely useless there. I'll replace my Spotify with something else (looking into Amazon Music and IHeart Radio among others) while continuing to enjoy Pandora.

It is really sad. If they just allowed you to pick the audio source on mobile app like for ps4 and others it would be awesome.

No there is a more fundamental problem here.  The audio coming out of the roku is distorted and sounds nothing like any other devices (we also have an Alexa and Google Home - and both do not sound anything like the Roku's tinny improperly speaker placed sound on our two Roku Ultras).   As someone who has been working with Home Theaters most of my life, I believe there is a major issue at work here that neither Spotify or Roku is willing to bother fixing.   

Spotify abandoned its Roku app years ago. Roku cannot be expected to waste resources trying to accommodate an old, abandoned outdated Spotify app. Don't hold your breath this is going to be fixed. The only hope is that Spotify wakes up one day and decides it is going to build a new app for Roku.

I can confirm the sound quality is ATROCIOUS through Spotify App on Roku (Ultra). I'm playing through a stereo system that costs as much as a small car, and it sounds worse than it does through my tiny amazon echo dot speaker.

This app is pure trash. I have premium still can't see my playlist they show when they feel like it. My playlist on this app aren't the way I organized them on my Spotify app on my phone but it's all the same songs. This app sucks and really is what made me consider getting ride of Spotify for $11.99 a month this is disgusting. Free music streaming apps are way better.

Come on, get with the times. Many TVs use Roku technology, not to mention all the devices sold. Get your act together, I have been a premium paying customer for a long while.

It just got worse. Now, the playlist option is gone from the home page. How am I supposed to play my music?! It only shows Top Track, Whats New, Now Playing and Search. I was already getting over how angry I was from dealing with this crappy app and now they made it evem worse 🙂

How can the leading streaming device and streaming music provider have such an utterly revolting application?  Not even a playlist option?  What about Spotify Connect?  I do have a Nexus Player and Chromecasts that do the job, but I just have higher expectations on Roku...

So, that's what happened to the playlist option? WTH?! I just logged in for the first time in forever (because it sucks so much); and was planning on using the playlist workaround (i.e. create a playlist that you want to hear using another device and play it on the roku). 

I don't get why it is so much to ask for Spotify to actually support the Roku platform. Or not. and let the consumer base their choices on their decision.

Wait you can use playlists? I can't even do that. There's no option for it.

Suggested posts