Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files Won't Play on Amazon Echo.

Solved!

Local Files Won't Play on Amazon Echo.

So, i've uploaded a a few local music files to Spotify through my Macbook. 

But it only plays on my Computer, not my Amazon Echo.

Obviously, I've got premium, as playing Spotify on a Echo requires Premium. 

Is there anyway to play my local files to my Amazon Echo through Spotify?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It's probably something to do with the fact that the files are literally local to your computer and not your echo and therefore not obtainable via the internet. Your laptop has those songs stored on it so can play them and if it's synced to your phone then this data is also stored on your phone but the echo, presumably, cannot store the relevant files so can't play them.

It is a big flaw that I have trouble with too because some of my favourite songs are local, you'd think they'd be able to be 'beamed' across with Connect especially if playing through your laptop etc. but ..

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey there! 

Thanks for bringing this up to us. 

In order to use Spotify with your Amazon Echo, you'll be doing it through Spotify Connect. We're afraid it's not possible to play local files with Connect. You can find more info at https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/guides/#!/article/spotify-connect/.

Keep on dancing 🙂 

Hi, I would like to know why you can't play local files over Spotify Connect, is this a licensing issue? I would really like to play local files (mp3) that I own and have added to Spotify playlists over my Echo. 

Marked as solution

It's probably something to do with the fact that the files are literally local to your computer and not your echo and therefore not obtainable via the internet. Your laptop has those songs stored on it so can play them and if it's synced to your phone then this data is also stored on your phone but the echo, presumably, cannot store the relevant files so can't play them.

It is a big flaw that I have trouble with too because some of my favourite songs are local, you'd think they'd be able to be 'beamed' across with Connect especially if playing through your laptop etc. but ..

Your explanation is what I was looking for. It's not a "solution," but it helps me understand what's going on. I hope the Spotify folks will get on the case and fix this soon. There are a lot of Echo owners who love to use Spotify with it. 

I hope you're working on this. I know how to connect to Spotifiy with Echo, but not being able to play local files really is a problem. And there are lots of us Echo owners out here who would like to be able to do that in some way.

Well this sounds reasonable, still would like to get this fixed.

Why is this not possible? I can access these songs on any computer I'm on as well as my phone. Also, all of the songs on this playlist are available on spotify and need not be recalled locally. Is it possible for spotify to automatically replace these "local" files with the versions on spotify or replicate the playlist with these songs so I don't have to individually search for and add nearly 100 songs different songs to my already created playlist?

It's because the artists don't make money if you play songs which you have ('payed for and') downloaded.

If this would be possible, everyone could download illegal mp3's from every artist and play it via Spotify's local files and nobody made money from it even when the artist is on Spotify.

But I'd love to have this feature too!

Suggested posts