Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Onkyo support discontinued

Solved!

Spotify on Onkyo support discontinued

Hi Everybody, 

Not really sure if this is the right sub catagory for this post. Today I received the following message from Spotify Netherlands: 

Hey,

We want to let you know that Spotify is no longer supported for your Onkyo speaker.

We want to make Spotify play on your speaker and other devices as easy and as possible. Unfortunately, this means that sometimes we need to stop the integration for certain devices.

If you want to continue playing music on your Onkyo speaker, we recommend you a wireless music streamer. This allows you to play music on your speakers via Spotify on your phone, tablet or laptop.

Click below for a list of music streams with Spotify support, to keep enjoying music on your speakers.

Do not stop the music!

Sincerely,
Spotify

I have a Onkyo TX-NR809 which I am using in combination with spotify. Which works great, you just search the songs and it plays via the Onkyo App. Spotify app does not recognize the device via WIFI (don't know why they don't just support DNLA) so the only option to stream spotify is via the Onkyo. Now they the e-mails states they are discontinuing service. I bought this receiver to play spotify at home. 

1. Can they just stop this service?
  2. Is there a workaround? (And I do not mean buy additional devices)

Anyhow, I am not happy with this and was wondering if there are any other unhappy customers out there?

Greetings Melvin.

69 Replies

Not sure. I am using a spotify app on android in combination with a premium account.

I presume that when you use spotify on windows it would perform the same functionality actuallly. Byt not tested it.

According to Spotify it is only possible to control Spotify on Chromecast from Android or iOS, but not from Windows. Just wonder if anyone found a workaround.

I got the same message for my Philips fidelio system and think it is a big mistake. It does make other streaming pmusic providers more attractive for me so I will rethink  continuing my subscription

gr

Jac

I just stopped my subscription, i'm pissed off, Spotify! Bought my Onkyo T-4070 only 3 years ago, just because of the Spotify integration.

The whole idea is not to have to buy another device to keep on playing spotify directly on your receiver.

Yes, however the whole idea is not to have to buy another device to keep on playing spotify directly on your receiver.

I have the same problem with my Onkyo TX-8050. Really really disappointing.

I also have an Onkyo Tx-NR809

A week ago I tried to set up Spotify on this Receiver (connected via LAN) using Net and then Spotify...

after entering user-Id and passwort, message is always: Login failed.

I would like to understand from Spotify why they blocked Onkyo Receivers.

I could be the most unfortunate Onkyo user. I just bought a new Onkyo TX-8270 stereo receiver and all of sudden see this sad news. No more premium Spotify account for me. I've always been using Pandora which just shut down its service in Australia. It seems I am now forced to use Apple Music. I believe discontinuing support for Onkyo is a big mistake. I hope Spotify hear this !

I have finally found a solution which works for me - Raspberry Pi and Librespot plugin.

I'm using RPi with Kodi for watching movies and now with upgraded version and the Librespot add-on I can listen to Spotify again. The only downside so far is the audio output - I can listen through RPi -> HDMI -> TV -> toslink -> receiver with excellent quality but who wants to turn on the TV for listening music? The RPi -> 3,5mm jack -> receiver route is not good enough for me, so I've ordered soundcard shield with toslink output.

You might as well buy a "chromecast audio" which does not need TV and has
straight optical out. But the point here is Spotify are forcing people with
perfectly good hardware to upgrade for no reason.

I won't be spending more than £30 on Spotify equipped hardware, because
they clearly cannot be trusted.

This is a reminder of how vulnerable streaming services are to obsolesence.

The ONKYO client implementation is bascally some kind of spotify client rather than Spotify CONNECT.

It seems that Spotify have taken their ball and gone home because they want everyone to use Connect.

What the article linked below misses is that connect doesn't work with many amps.

You try getting something running spotify connect to feed zone two of a TX NR 609. You can't, it only accepts analogue sources and most of the things running connect are solely HDMI or optical out.

Some info, but nothing that actually works for many users: https://support.spotify.com/us/listen_everywhere/on_speaker/why-cant-i-use-the-spotify-app-on-my-spe...

I did consider Chromecast but this device just look odd with other equipment and I don't want an extra device for just one purpose. I already have an android box. I have a temp solution now - an iPod touch which my son no longer uses to stream Spotify and airplay to Onkyo receiver. AirPlay connection should be lossless but bit rate on mobile device is lower.

One thing I noticed is spotify app on Windows can still show my Onkyo receiver as streaming device, but I suppose this is just because the app is not updated.

Hi, 

I am furious about spotify killing the support for several onkyo AVR's. If you have a raspberry pi there is a way to install spotify on it so you can stream spotify on your AVR again.

Look on you tube for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUXGb7l71cA . It worked for me.

Cheers

It obviously not only the customers with older equipment (I have TX-NR609) but Onkyo actively still markets the Spotify application in the new models, they must have been taken by suprice by Spotify! It is otherwise hard to believe why they still have it in their ads!

I spent quite a bit of money on my CR-N755, and now it's basically a fancy CD player.  I'm pretty peeved!  I bought it on the basis of being able to play Spotify.  I wonder if it's worth pushing Onkyo for a firmware update.

It appears the problem is with Spotify but it would be nice to hear
something from Onkyo, some pressure on Spotify to do something!

I believe the problem is in both ends, Spotify is probably keen on dropping the support to reduce cost or to solve a possible safety issue? Onkyo doesn't defend the interface firm enough, obviously since they don't care about customers who bought equipment few years ago! It must be possible for Spotify and makers of receivers Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. to standardize an interface and then update the firmware subsequently! If there is other issues behind like limitations in the equipment, etc. it would be fair for them to explain and not just saying this is better or more simple, when it's not! I think we together shall put pressure on both Spotify and Onkyo to establish the interface again and update the firmware if required!

I submitted an Idea to retain the interface!

Please comment and vote!

Yes, Spotify terminated support and Onkyo appears to have done nothing. I
did my bit to put pressure on Spotify by immediately cancelling my Premium
subscription and telling them why I had done it. Maybe there are not enough
of us to make a difference (that is maybe why Spotify felt safe in making
that decision) but what else can we do? I will obviously think twice about
buying Onkyo in future, but I don't buy hardware every month.

Suggested posts