Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

2 questions

2 questions

1. Does anyone else's playlist keeps replaying the same songs that they already heard, if so, how did you fix it? This is getting annoying that it keeps replaying the same 20 songs when I have over 300 songs in my playlist.
2. Did anyone else's ability to preview songs before adding it to your playlist just disappear when they updated spotify?

Thank you in advance :)!

7 Replies

Hey @nxsha,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

On the first question, are you talking about Shuffle mode or the Queue? Could you provide more information on that? You can also include the brand/model and OS of the device you've observed this on. Does it happen with other accounts on different devices?

On the second one, could you make sure you're running the latest version of the app and have logged, logged back in again a few times?

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

With the first question, it's when I go to listen to my playlist. Like I could had been listening to my playlist earlier in the day and stopped, but when I go back to listening to it later in the day it starts off by playing a couple new songs then it goes back to playing the same songs I had listened to earlier in the day. And since I don't have premium I'm pretty sure it's the shuffle mode. The device I'm currently observing this on is the Samsung Galaxy A01. This issue never happens when I listen to music on a TV, only when I listen on my phone. 

With the second question, I have uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled it that did nothing, and I've logged out and back in numerous of times that still did nothing. I don't know if it's an update with Spotify or what, but before I updated Spotify I had the previews perfectly fine, but when I updated it was gone.

Hey there @nxsha

Thanks for your reply. 

Regarding your first question, could you let us know if this happens only on large playlists or on the short ones as well? Also, does it only happen when you resume listening or when you're listening continuously for a couple of hours too?

On another note, would you mind sending us a screenshot of how the app looks like on your end when you go to your playlist and tap on Edit playlist? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert image option in the post editor. Make sure not to send any private info.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I'm having the same problem regarding certain songs coming up over and over. My playlist is also more than 300 songs. I use the latest desktop version of Spotify on my Windows 11 PC. I don't remember the same song coming up during a long session, but a song will come up on Monday and when I restart Spotify on Tuesday, the same song will eventually appear. I don't think this is happening because every song has the same chance of coming up in a true random shuffle, so it's possible that you'll hear the same song more than once. I think it's happening because of what this guy wrote 7 months ago: Spotify's shuffle isn't truly random. He says songs played recently tend to come up more often. 

https://thetab.com/uk/2021/11/17/spotify-shuffle-explained-228639

He also suggests that Spotify allow users to stick with the current algorithm or use one that's truly random.

My playist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6Nszzc1h6Ome6ZZMkRGXqO?si=0a4696c344b840ca

PS: I've been playing this playlist about an hour. It's got more than 17 hours of music. The same song came up twice today. I heard it yesterday too, and possibly the day before that. Now it's playing the last song it played last night.

1. Sorry for the delayed reply, the notification got lost in other emails. But since this is my only playlist I wouldn't know if it happens on only the long ones or short ones as well. It also only happens when I resume listening.

• 2. It's not when I go to edit the playlist is when the preview button won't show, it's when I go to search for songs to add in my playlist the preview button is gone, as you will see down below.
  •  
Screenshot_20220625-160529_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20220625-160503_Spotify.jpg

I hope they will get it fixed soon cause using the few skips they do give me is honestly unfair. I shouldn't have to use my skips to skip songs I've already heard because of a bug. I get it if I went days without listening to spotify, but I can only go a couple hours without listening and then resume listening and still hear the same songs I heard hours ago. Glad to know it's not just a me issue and others are experiencing it as well.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies.

We can confirm that in large playlists the shuffle option prioritizes the songs that Spotify perceives you listen to most, that's why some songs can come up repeatedly. However, there's this live idea about this topic. You can add your votes to it, if you'd like to have this option in the future. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. Check out this Spotify Answer to learn more about it. 

On another note, it's expected that when you stop using the app and then resume the playback the queue rearranges considering what I just mentioned above.

@nxsha, it's also expected that songs don't have a preview when you search them from Search. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

Hope this helps. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts