Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Alexa Devices not showing up

Alexa Devices not showing up

Hi I am having an isdue and hope someone can help.
1. All of a sudden my alexa devices do not show up as "available devices" in spotify. I use the mobile spotify app. I have reinstalled both Spotify and Alexa app device(s) in the app. Ironically this stopped working when i recently returned home from an out of state trip. Before I left it worked fine. I have Echo Dot, Echo Tap, and Echo Input.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.. Thanks!

30 Replies

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Can please create 2 topics for this post? I propose to rename the title for this post so it only applies to your first issue, then create a second post.

For your first question, it looks similar to this one: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Spotify-connect-not-working-with-echo...

Regards,

René

This is what fixed it for me: go to the Spotify app's Settings and disable "Show local devices only". I'm not sure why this worked because my speakers are on the same network as the app device, but it worked!

To me, what's worked was going into the Spotify app's Settings, then Voice Assistants & Apps, and tapping on "Linked" below Amazon Alexa. This caused Spotify to relink to Alexa, and everything started working correctly again.

You can also check this  for this purpose.

Thanks, this fixed my issue

Tried everything suggested and still having this issue

then Voice Assistants & Apps, and tapping on "Linked" below Amazon Alexa

This is what fixed it for me.

Worked for me too thanks

Thanks, luisfl97. I have been trying to figure this out for a while and that fixed it.

I am having the same issue in the Spotify Desktop app, however the option to click "Show local devices only" is not in the settings menu and i have tried all other suggestions. Strangely everything works just fine in the iOS version of the app and all speakers are available.

Any other thoughts?

Hey @craigwalsh

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out. We'll be happy to explain a bit more about what seems to be happening here.

"Show local devices only" is an option that is visible on mobile only. In order to connect a device to Spotify desktop app you need to use "Connect to a device".
Screenshot for a reference below. 

Note: To see your device here - it needs to play in the very moment you're trying to connect it to Spotify, it needs to be active. 
Also, when troubleshooting, make sure make sure both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

Another thing you can do is turn off your VPN (if you're using one) and check that proxy settings are set to default (auto-detect). 
If you still experience this, please let us know if it's one particular device that's not showing on your Desktop App or any of the devices? 

Keep us in the loop here.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Everything was working just fine until about 3 weeks ago. No changes have been made on my side during that time. No VPN is used and everything is set as you have suggested. 

This relates to any amazon alexa device connected to my network. I have gone through any suggested alexa reset steps   suggestions already multiple times. 

I can see other spotify connect supported devices (e.g. Roku streaming stick) just not alexa devices. 

Hey @craigwalsh,

Can you also confirm your Alexa devices are on when you're trying to find them via your desktop app?
As long as they're playing anything and are actively switched on, they should be discoverable as well.
We'll be on the lookout for your response 🙂
Thanks.

VasilModerator

They sure are, as I can control them via iPhone app without issue. 

Hey @craigwalsh,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

To continue investigating your case, and if you haven't tried it yet, we'd recommend clearing the cache by performing a clean reinstall with the steps in this article.

If the issue persists, we'd also suggest clearing any entries which contain Spotify from the host files on your computer. To do so, follow the instructions in this post.

Lastly, would you mind trying with a different Wi-Fi connection to see if it makes any difference? This will give us a better look at the issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Hi Oscar,

Strangely connect via my phones hotspot did the trick, so clearly some kind of block happening on my laptop or router. Any ideas as to how i can tunnel my way out??

Now i have disconnected from my hotspot all the Spotify Connect devices have now gone, the only one left is a Google Cast device (Philips TV).

To further add to the insanity if i use the web player https://open.spotify.com/ all the speakers show up - this leads me to believe there is something strange going on with the app.

Hi there @craigwalsh,

Thanks for the post and the info.

In this case, I'd recommend doing a reinstall of the desktop app, following this guide and removing all Spotify app data. You can try installing the app from our website instead of the MS store or vice versa. The MS store app is more optimized but can cause issues on some systems.

You can also check if there is any Firewall active on your system which could be blocking the Spotify app's traffic and let that go through.

Let us know if that helped.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts