Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] 2 Parts Ideas: 1. Enabling Users' Interactions & 2. Track Purchase Link

[All Platforms][Music] 2 Parts Ideas: 1. Enabling Users' Interactions & 2. Track Purchase Link

Hi everyone,

I'm Herbert from Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. Glad to be active among Spotify music community. After 2 years long of being Spotified, I just had these 2 ideas to share:
1. Thoughts On Enabling Users' Interactions - Great to have the 'love' & 'add to library' icons up, how about another feature that followers are able to comment the track just like SoundC, MixC, HearThis.at.. etc? I'm not an IT guy but I reckon if this is workable, might take up more spaces esp for handheld devices to cache up the loaded texts form the comments or disable text caches & just leave it live/load comment texts per tap something like that. Point is what do you guys think?

I don't have the exact analysis of digital track file/physical CDs or records purchasing rate internationally, however as a DJ myself, I do understand that amongst Spotify users consist a promising amount of music buyers (both digital & hardcopies), so with that said here's idea No.2:
2. Include a Purchase Link at the side of every tracks (singles/EPs) & albums. Source wise? Now this is something that if I am sitting infront of team Spotify's business division today with Daniel Ek joining in as well, I would propose either 1 of these 2 methods:
i) Collaborate with existing music selling platforms such as Beatport Pro, iTunes Music, Juno Download, Amazon Music & Discogs (hehe yea, not sure are these quite the choices of companies to collab with, unless this is a physical face2face discussion), which leads me to the 2nd & ULTIMATE CHOICE:
ii) DO IT OURSELVES!!!
Come on Spotify! You've got the largest piece of music pie in this world, you've got the infrastructures, you've got the facilities, you've got the people, when I say the 'people', I'm talking about the numbers of record label companies, artists & followers that are ALREADY being HELD in your fists, why not help them more? Create a 2nd platform call 'Spotify PRO' or 'Spotify Sonic' or ' 'Spotify Epic', something like that to sell their legal music, I think we can start with digital first & if there're quite numbers of hard copy orders, why not? (Unless Spotify isn't looking into stocking up or handling tangible items at all). Imagine BP Pro is taking 25-30% of each sales made, so 70-75% goes back to record label & relevant artists, but they're selling 320kbps MP3s, WAVS & AIFFs, an opportunity I see here is that we can sell FLAC & Apple Lossless Files. For those who are not familiar with Beatport Pro (that only caters electronic music files & DAW samples), this is how much each newly released track will cost, it's USD2.49 for 1 MP3 (320kbps), to upgrade to either WAV or AIFF (here's BP's link for u to check around https://www.beatport.com ) is additional USD0.75, that's USD 3.24/track. After 3-6 months (depending on the record label owner & artists' agreement), these MP3 track(s) will be lowered to between USD 1.49 - 1.99 while no changes on the WAV & AIFF upgrades. Though I'm not so clear about 'Selling Rights' over there/internationally via e-comm, that's why I brought up 2 other emerging music file formats which is FLAC & Apple Lossless (FLAC could charge a little less as it is about 50% compressed after a WAV while Apple Lossless could just go with iTunes' prices which is about USD3.20-3.50), and it's hassle free without us asking from record labels for new tracks, because at the end of the day, they are the ones that will upload these music files to our server backends & from Followers' front end, Followers buy, end of story.
So this is it, if you guys see this as a win-win opportunity for all three parties, the music industry people, us & Spotify, why not?

If this is a constructive idea, please let's discuss & brainstorm. I'm jobless now & yea, I have submitted couple of my job application to Spotify via JobVite couple of days ago, with that said, I do really really hope that the acceptance from Spotify family would be my best birthday gift!

Cheers 😄

Herbert Lye
Turning-Vagabond-Soon Music Enthusiast
From Malaysia.
1 Reply

Btw, that was just selling electronic music files & samples, try sum up the other genres & sub-genres from the database of Spotify, I'm sure not only the amount of money made, but also the amount of artist & record label companies that Spotify could potentially help.

Suggested posts