Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Amazon Alexa (Echo Dot) & Kids Account

Amazon Alexa (Echo Dot) & Kids Account

Plan: Family / Free/Premium: Premium / Country: UK / Device: Amazon (Alexa) Echo Dot

My Question or Issue:

I have a family account that my wife and my 9 year old daughter use, as well as myself. My daughter has an echo dot in her bedroom and spotfiy is connected to that.

The problem is that it seems to only be able to connect to the main spotify account (ie. mine) which causes 2 issues:

1. she can access any music incl. explicit

2. the music she listens to completely messes up my account & its algorithms.

Is there any way to assign her kids account to the echo dot?

Thanks in advance for your help!

29 Replies

Read that this was possible so got a premium family plan. Tried to get this working and then found out....nope, can't. Will be terminating the plan in month one. Darn. Didn't want to buy Amazon's plan.

*SOLVED*
Bear in mind this took me half a day

you will need to open an email account for your kids.

invite them to you Spotify premium account

set up a Spotify account for kids and turn off explicit content

open an Alexa account for each kid (I downloaded the app on different devices, eg ipad)

de register kids echo dot from your account and set up as a new dot using their Amazon account

link to their Spotify account

set Spotify as default music 

now all house members can listen to their own music with explicit filter for kids 

+Vote

I have changed to Amazon Music, as that allows kids music accounts separately on their individual Echo Dots.

How is this not a feature? Its actually quite misleading, looking at Amazon and Spotify documentation. I pay for the family plan but what is the point if my kids just hijack my music session???

Same issue here... singed up to a Spotify Family account and found out that it's not working with multiple Echos as they all can be linked to just one (the main) Spotify account...

@Spotify: Are you planning to work on this?

If not, I'll simply change to Amazon Family... which is +2€ per month but prevents a lot of headache.

I think this can be solved by improving the Spotify Alexa skill. I'm pretty sure that the skill can detect the Alexa device that is requesting Spotify music (Echo or smartphone, etc.).

Feature Request:

When I activate the Spotify Alexa skill

Then I link it with the Spotify Family main account (as today)

And in the next step, I see a list of Alexa devices that are available in the Alexa household (same as in the Alexa app)

And by default, all Alexa devices are mapped to the Spotify Family main account

And I can change the mapping for each Alexa device to an available Spotify Family account, which can be the main account or a kids account or any other account that is a member of the Spotify Family

In order to enable each Alexa device using a defined Spotify Family account instead of the main account

And to allow playing music in parallel on different Alexa devices

How can I submit auch a Feature Request?

agreed  massive problem 

please fix Spotify 

Quite sad that this is not possible. Pleas fix.

Is anyone working in this?

seems to be a prevalent issue.

Can you still use the “announce” function on echo dot to announce dinner to all the echo’s in the house?

Suggested posts