Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Amazon Echo “Spotify is not supported on this device” Yamaha MusicCast

Amazon Echo “Spotify is not supported on this device” Yamaha MusicCast

Im trying to set up Yamaha MusicCast Devices to play Spotify through Amazon Echo Dots. I have 2 MusicCast 20 speakers and a RX-V585 receiver. I can play Spotify on all 3 devices through the MusicCast app and by using the devices selection in the iOS app. 

However, I cannot seem to get them to play through my Amazon Echo Dots (I have both a v1 and a v3). All my Yamaha devices will play Amazon music but Spotify is the only service I typically use. 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify skill but that did not seem to do the trick. All (both Amazon and Yamaha) have up to date firmware. 

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

22 Replies

Hi there @arwelsh

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out to us. We'll do our best to help you sort this out.

Just to confirm, were you able to use the Connect feature from an Amazon device to an external speaker previously?

We'd recommend making sure that Spotify is set as the preferred music app from Alexa. After this, you can also restart your router and give it another try.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello.
First of all sorry for my English 😀

I have a similar issue.

I have a Yamaha RX-V6A and a echo dot 3
I can play Spotify in the Yamaha using the musiccast app.
I can play Spotify in the echo just saying "Alexa play music from spotify" (I'm Spanish so I'm translating the command).
But if i say "Alexa play music from Spotify in the Yamaha" there is no music but alexa Says something like (I'm translating) " this device is not supported"

Hey @IgnacioSeijo,

Thanks for reaching out.

Please keep in mind that the devices that support Spotify Connect can can change over time. You can find a full list of all currently supported devices here. Unfortunately we weren't able to find your Yamaha RX-V6A there, this would mean that issues like the one you're having are expected behavior.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thanks for the quick response

Could i do anything in order to add the device to the compatibility list?

Thanks in advance

Hi @IgnacioSeijo

Thanks for getting back in touch.

At the moment, we don't have any form to request the addition of your device to the compatibility list. 

However, we appreciate your feedback! We always aim to improve, so we’ll get this passed on to the right team. 

If you need anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have exactly the same issue with my yamaha MusicCast 50. I can stream to it from the spotify app no problem. I can stream to it from alexa with amazon music no problem. What I can’t do is stream Spotify from alexa to my MusicCast 50. I have tried everything, spotify is set as my default music service, the MusicCast is set as my preferred speaker - alexa says spotify is not supported on this device. However spotify will play on my alexa echo just fine, it just won’t atream to an external speaker. Been through everything with amazon support, the problem appears to be with the spotify skill - please fix this as it very annoying having an awesome speaker but having to listen to music via my alexa echo. It kinda pushing me to use amazon music in preference to spotify

Hi everyone, I have the same issue with my rx-d485 av receiver.. can listen to Amazon Music via voice command but not Spotify even though I find the receiver in Spotify.

my work around: I use my Echo Dot or Echo Input, connect it via Aux and its done.. Down point is that I gotta use 2 voice commands. one switches on the receiver and the other one to start the music.

this must definitely be fixed, for it was the main reason I bought an av receiver with built-in musiccast. 

regards, Erwin

Hey everyone,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

Could you check if there's any firmware update available for your AV receiver? If so, we recommend that you update your device and check if the issue persist.

In case you still have issues, send us over a short video in order to check it further.

We'll stay tuned. 

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Hello.

I have a little different problem. Previously I can play Spotify without any problems in Slovakia on My Alexa Echo dot. But today I have noticed, that I can't link My account, because of geographical restrictions.

I have reseted also Echo dot device, but It doesn't help.

Hey there @Noguri,

Thanks for the post.

Since your issue is different than the OP It would be best if you create a new topic on the appropriate Help Board 🙂 This way we can keep things more organized.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Same problem for me with a rx-a2080 Yamaha musiccast device.

Firmware just updated.

Using alexa echo device, if i say  :

Alexa plays muse with Spotify (default sound exit is yamaha device) -> Spotify is not supported on this device.

if i say

Alexa plays rock -> Rocks starts from tunein (free web radio)

Would be nive to solve this 😉

Hey @Paul5959,

Thanks for your reply.

Take in to account that over time, the devices that support Spotify Connect may change. As mentioned above by @Mihail, this would mean that behaviors like the one you're having are expected.

That being said, we'd suggest to maintain both your device and the app up to date, We'd also recommend making sure that Spotify is set as the preferred music app from Alexa. After this, you can also restart your router and give it another try.

We hope you found this helpful. We're always here to help.

AlejaRModerator

Hello everyone

When I give the command to Alexa to play music on my fire tablet HD 10 it tells me spotify is not supported, why is That?

Hi there @Ed5699,

Thanks for reaching out. Have you installed Spotify directly on the tablet and are trying to control it with voice or have you set up the tablet as an Alexa device? Have you connected Spotify and Alexa on the tablet? If so, try disconnecting and reconnecting it. 

Let us know how it goes.

JoanModerator

I don't use Amazon Echo anymore. I use Google nest, It is for me much better.

That's right, I installed spotify directly to the tablet from amazon apps, I also linked my premium spotify account with Alexa and set it as default player. Alexa does open the app but does not play the music.

Hey @Ed5699,

Thanks for confirming and apologies for the confusion.

Using voice commands to transfer/start the playback on your Amazon tablet is currently not supported. However, we've forwarded your feedback to the relevant team.

Let us know if there's anything else.

MihailYModerator

Bonjour c'est pareil avec l'ampli Yamaha A2A cela veut bien diffuser via Alexa Amazon music et pas Spotify...

Here is how to start Spotify on Musiccast with Alexa.

Alexa can start Spotify on my MusicCast 20 and all connected speakers, but not on my WXA-50 alone.

The phrase used makes a difference.

I am using German commands, so here is my translation:

"Alexa, play spotify in the kitchen" - Alexa says it cannot be done

"Alexa, tell MusicCast to play spotify in the kitchen" - Works, so spotify starts playing.

Then, I can say "Alexa, play Scorpions in the kitchen"

Suggested posts