Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android version on Chromebook won't sync local files

Android version on Chromebook won't sync local files

Hi. I have a Google Pixelbook with Chrome OS running the android version of Spotify, and I have a premium subscription. I'm trying to transfer some local files on my old Macbook Air, so I followed the official instructions, put these tracks in a playlist and connected my devices to the same WiFi. The playlist can be downloaded without any problem on my phone. However, in the android app under Chrome OS, the playlist shows up but keeps showing "waiting to download".

So I researched a bit and realized that the android system on a Chromebook does not connect directly to the WiFi network. In other words, even if the Chromebook is connected to the same WiFi as the desktop, the android app still does not share the same WiFi connection as the desktop. I used the "show local devices only" option in the settings in the android app, and indeed my Macbook Air doesn't count as a "local device".

So can someone at Spotify please fix this? This problem seems to have existed for a fair long time, and now android apps on Chromebooks are no longer in beta so bugs like this shouldn't be expected.

5 Replies

Hey @s0ng,

How's it going? Still having trouble with this?

Sounds like you're following the right steps. If possible, could you try using a different Wifi?

Keep in mind that certain local tracks can't be transferred and played for various reasons, such as format or name. It might be worth renaming the track to something else locally before downloading it to Spotify.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Hi Jemi,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately no. I have changed several different wifis. Also I updated the two respective spotify softwares (android version on Chrome OS and mac desktop version) to their latest versions.

As my local music can be downloaded on my phone (iOS), I don't think the problem has anything to do with my music files. I think it's due to the android version of Spotify on Chrome OS does not recognize my mac as a local device. This seems to be a software problem specific to the android version of Spotify on Chrome OS (though I admit this really concerns only a small amount of people).

Hey @s0ng.

Thanks for your update.

You mentioned you've noticed a few other people experiencing this. Can you link us to a thread on the Community where you've noticed this, if you have?

We'll be looking out for your reply 🙂

P

Hey again @s0ng,

Thanks for getting back to us. The links are a bit older, but they seem unanswered. Let's try with some other steps.

Could you try downloading your music while both devices are connected through a mobile hotspot? If the playlist is too big, try only with a couple of tracks first and see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Suggested posts