Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App on the LG smart TV doesn't play anything

App on the LG smart TV doesn't play anything

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

LG smart TV 43UN71006LB

Operating System

webOS 5.2.3-252113 (jhericurl-jardine)

My Question or Issue

The Spotify app (version 2021.09.13_2-48e8e67 H 4.19.0) on my LG smart TV doesn't play anything. Updates are not available. Reinstalling the app makes no difference. Playing something on the same network with a laptop or a mobile phone and then choosing the smart TV as the device only opens the app on the TV but doesn't play anything but keeps trying to connect. The TV is connected with an ethernet cable, laptop/phone is wireless.

• TV
35 Replies

Hey there @ajjutila

Thanks for reaching out to the Community 🙂

Just to confirm, are you unable to find app updates or device updates? If you haven't checked the latter, we'd suggest giving it a try.

If this doesn't do the trick, send us a video where we can take a better look at what you're seeing from your end. You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, and thanks for getting back to me.

There are no updates for the Spotify app on the smart TV. The LG smart TV itself, in addition to the mobile phone and windows desktop apps are up-to-date.

Here's a link to a video where I try to connect to the TV from my laptop: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q2oo9LrG4wJ3FQ2Ro2dID5eedQc1A5da/view?usp=sharing
The app opens on the TV but then nothing, it just keeps trying to connect...

Here's a link to a video where I try to open the smart TV app and play something: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q-gS9H67LvSapk96Zks85cOhTk0-Pmoh/view?usp=sharing
Nothing happens, not from the "ok" button or the "play" button. In other apps the remote control works without any problems.

Hey @ajjutila

Thanks for your reply and the info.

Would you mind letting us know when did you start to notice this behavior? 

If possible, could you give it a try using a different account, such as a family member's or a friend's to see if the same thing happens?

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator

Sorry, I haven't been able to do any further checks as I'm currently out of town and will be for another couple of weeks.

Hi there @ajjutila,

Thank you for your reply.

No worries! We'll be on the lookout for you reply.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else in the meantime.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

The problem seems to be solved somehow. I wish taking a 3-week holiday abroad would always be the solution! 😄

Hey again @ajjutila,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop here!

We're happy to hear that the issue with streaming music on your smart TV was resolved, while you were enjoying your holiday abroad 🙂

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring this topic up again, this happens to me as well.

I've tried (i think) all suggested solutions found in this board and on the net.

Premium plan

TV make & model: LG OLED55C12LA

Using WiFi AC for both TV and phone

No app or device (webOS) updates available, checked multiple times with both.

Deleted and re-installed Spotify on TV and Android phone multiple times.

Re-set TV to default options and disabled "QuickStart+" function from TV Menu, to allow for full initialization after turn-off

Versions:

Spotify on LG TV: 2022.02.02_0-a36a7a0 H 4.23.1

Spotify on Android Phone: 8.7.4.1056

Spotify on Windows 10 Notebook: 1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00

WebOS TV version: 6.2.0-35 (kisscurl-kavir)

Issue is exactly as described by multiple users. Phone/laptop "see" the TV in the "connect to a device" menu, as soon as I click on the TV name, Spotify does open on the TV (correct account is shown), but no music is actually playing from the TV. Playback remains on initial device (either phone or notebook), and device keeps showing the blinking "connecting" text for a while - maybe 2 minutes or so, after which it reverts to "listening on this phone" or "listening on this computer".

Here is one step I won't do again: resetting the TV.

Apart from that, I'm willing to try anything.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi @RazvanSmeianu,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out!

This could be related to the network settings of the TV. Could you try using a different network to see if that does the trick? You can set up a hotspot on your phone and connect the TV to it.

You can also try disabling the Quick Start and Simplink features with the steps mentioned here, then restart your TV.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

YordanModerator

Thanks for the fast reply. Was about to try this solution when I remembered I swapped to a way more performant router yesterday evening. Don't know if that did the trick but the fact is that it now works without issue. Thanks again for the suggestion. 

Cheers.

Hi @RazvanSmeianu,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is working fine now 🙂

Remember to always keep your apps up to date, so you don't miss any fixes or new features.

Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions. Have a good day and stay safe!

Kiril Moderator

Hi there,

The app isn’t working properly on my LG TV.

When I try to put some music on, it only plays for a few seconds and then it stops. I tried to play on my TV from my mobile app and the same happens. 

I already deleted and installed the app again on both devices and the issue keeps happening. 

Can you please help? 

Hey @Teteu1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far. But just to make sure, have you tried the steps mentioned by @Yordan in previous replies?

If so, we'd recommend logging out from the TV app, restarting the internet router and logging back in to see if it makes any difference.

Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator

Hi there Spotify community! I'm back to square one: once again, the Spotify app doesn't play anything (see the original post for further details). Now the app version is 2022.04.25_7-eeadcb5 H 4.24.0, so fairly recent one? I restarted the TV, it made no difference. I uninstalled the Spotify app and reinstalled it both on my TV and on my android phone, no difference whatsoever.

Hey @ajjutila

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, have you checked if the firmware of your TV has any pending updates?

On another note, could you try with a different internet connection to see if that makes the difference?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi there,

I tried now using my phone as a hotspot and connecting my TV to it. First I noticed that on the Spotify app on my phone I couldn't see my TV listed among the devices unless I first manually started Spotify on my TV. Then I could connect and play music. Using the internet on my phone, I could also directly start playing music from the Spotify app on my TV.

I then switched my TV back to the LAN cable internet connection and it works just fine like that too. 🤷

What I do not understand is that why the Spotify app on the TV could do everything else except play music before this trial. What on earth was fixed with using another internet connection for a moment? I didn't even restart my internet router. Other apps like YouTube worked perfectly all this time and could be started from my phone directly.

Hello same thing happens for me. I needed to reset the TV after which I have not been able to connect to Spotify .. Mobile app just gets stuck in connecting and TV app starts but doesn't signs in

Hey @prasun_das,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

First, we'd suggest checking in your TV's store to see if the app is fully updated and if you have any system updates available that can interfere with the proper behavior of the app. Also, if you haven't tried it already, we'd recommend reinstalling the app on your TV to get rid of any cache that could be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, would you mind including in your next response the Spotify version you're currently running on your TV? It's under your profile name on the "Account" button in the left side menu. This will give us a better look at your issue.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

Hello Oscar,

Many thank for the response. The issue happened after I had reset my TV for a different nonrelated event. After which I started facing the aforementioned issue. I have already done the reinstall app step. My TV (lg C1) is updated the latest LG firmware i.e., 3.30.06 and Spotify app version is 2.0.24 in TV and mobile app version is 8.7.34.1317.

Suggested posts