Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Attempting to play a particular track on Tesla seems to cause something like an audio driver crash

Attempting to play a particular track on Tesla seems to cause something like an audio driver crash

Plan

Premium

Country

United States of America

Device

Tesla Model S

Operating System

v10.2 (2020.24.6.11 3f9850467abb)

My Question or Issue

When attempting to play the song "Believe Be Leave" by Aimer (https://open.spotify.com/track/4DZmrlN1EGm5j10dVWxKII) on Tesla, the Spotify app seems to hang and other vehicle sounds such as turn signals also fail to play. In this state, non-audio interactions with the system still work, but voice control does not.

The failing subsystem (audio stack?) seems to attempt to restart, and occasional short spurts of audio come back, including the track and other sounds such as turn signals. The user can escape this state by switching to another media source (such as USB audio). This is reproducible across reboots and only seems to apply to this track. The track plays normally on other devices. This track had worked in an earlier software version.

Tesla support has recommended that a service appointment be scheduled to examine this issue and that this issue be reported with Spotify.

19 Replies

Hey there.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We've reported it to the right teams.

We recommend that you follow Tesla Support's suggestion to bring the car in for examination to them as well.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

To update, I have taken the car in for service and the service advisor has stated that this is a known issue with the current firmware with no known resolution at this time. The issue has since extended to another track by the same artist, as well as another track that I listened to for the first time recently. Although the playback UI freezes while this is happening, content is browsable and selecting an unaffected track is another path out of this condition once the audio stack restarts.

Is there Any solution?
i have the Same problem: track-> deorro- 5 hours

cheers
erwin

Hi there folks

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

Tesla is working on fixing this in the new release of their software.

We suggest that you always keep your app up to date.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Any update on this? I am still having this issue with multiple tracks. They play fine on my phone but not in the car. I can actually load up the app on my phone, select the track, then play it through Bluetooth but it won’t play in the car through it’s interface. At first it was just 1 or 2 songs but now it’s growing. I have like 5 or 6 I can’t play. 

Hi @Zerauskire,

Thank you for posting on this thread and welcome to the Community. 

This issue was treated and fixed some months ago. If this is happening to you, please try reinstalling the app on your car's audio device.

If this doesn't do the trick, please share with us the firmware version of your Tesla's audio interface, this will help us investigate it further. 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Forgive my ignorance in the matter but how does one go about uninstalling and re-installing the Spotify app on a Tesla? I do not see an option to do so. 

Also I do not see any option for seeing the version of the Spotify app. I can find the firmware version of my car itself. That is v10.2 (2021.24.4 f3ac7801ec4e)

The only option I have is to logout and log back in to the Spotify app in the car, which I did. I also tried rebooting the car’s “infotainment” system by holding down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel. After the system came back up, I tried again and still can’t play certain songs. 

Hi @Zerauskire,

Thanks for the post.

We want to apologize, as our previous post was a misunderstanding as this issue is still under investigation by our developer team. We've made sure to pass on your info to the team working on this. They are in communication with Tesla, but we can't give an exact timeline for a fix, as the development of the Car app is in the hands of Tesla.

Hope you find this info helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

So I just upgraded from the Tegra MCU to the Intel (as part of an out-of-warranty fix for the display air bubble issue) and the tracks that were exhibiting the issue play normally now. So possibly either they fixed it in the latest update or it's only an issue for the older MCUs. Firmware now at v10.2 (2021.32.21 1fd5281a6100)

I take it back. The issue changes to different tracks from the ones previously having issues just not playing at all. On the other hand it fails fast now and just skips to the next track.

Hi @AsturaPhoenix,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you let us know if this only occurs on Tesla?

It would also be great if you can send us the URI of the song so that we can have a closer look directly from our end.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Yes, the tracks play normally on Desktop (Windows 10, Chrome), Android, and Fire TV.

Tracks failing fast on the Intel MCU:

• spotify:track:5PNDfkz1cslaAcC7fk9tGE
  • spotify:track:6dm1oiProLnoNAbvJQej7Z

These tracks did not have issues on the old MCU.

Tracks previously failing with audio stack reboots on the Tegra MCU:

• spotify:track:3LwOkFcj9Uw3SXvTIA1t05
  • spotify:track:4DZmrlN1EGm5j10dVWxKII

These tracks are no longer affected on the new MCU.

Each pair of tracks also coincidentally appear close in proximity on the playlist I use to access them most frequently, so I do wonder if there's a caching issue going on. (However, once the issue manifests, it persists regardless of how the songs are accessed, though through search the tracks simply seem to try to start and then stop rather than proceeding to the next track in the "station" as in the playlists.)

Are more examples needed and/or wanted? My car has been doing this for some time now as well. 

Hey @AsturaPhoenix,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

In this case we'd recommend that you reach out to Tesla. The folks there can look into this further and give you more information about it.

We can't influence this on our end as we are not the manufacturers. 

If you have questions or you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator

Exact same problem here. It only happens in my Tesla not on other devices. It will choose songs in an album and just skip them. It skips them every time you play the album.

Same issue. Tesla > song skipping via the built-in Spotify app. This has been a known issue for more than a year. Pretty frustrating.

Same issue here. Except different behavior on different accounts. For example, on my account (family plan, BTW) first track of the new Lizzo album won’t play. No issues with my wife’s account. I logged out and back in, nothing changed. On my wife’s account, the Taylor Swift song Red won’t play. No issues with my account. Very annoying. 

Well,  apparently this will never go away. Tesla users will have to live with this for the foreseeable future with their POS infotainment system. Mine is skipping Tool Pneuma and others. 

I just wanted to add that the stupid Tesla app also only plays one song in the explicit version of P Diddys “Press Play” album

https://open.spotify.com/album/7kIi4z3UO8ZqH3GVX18p7h?si=K6QebtHnQiG8whShPVFNhQ

Suggested posts