Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Solved!

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

457 Replies

Same problem for me... As soon as i start the app via the iDrive the display is blank and i have no sound   Please fix it!! 

Why does this thread say 'solved' when clearly it is not solved.

Can someone please re-open it until a real solution is provided?

Thank you very much!
You saved my day. Current Version is still not working. 

Just a thought. (I totally agree that it is NOT solved) Whilst Spotify is the problem, I would have thought BMW will not be happy to discover that none of their latest models, with their wonderful iDrive, are working with Spotify when their marketing will probably be claiming as such? Does anyone have a connection with BMW at a senior level to stir the pot?

Another update to the Spotify App today, I am currently out of the area and cannot test it myself.

So if anyone is able to test it, please report back.

It looks like Spotify has many newer versions beyond 8.4.77.779, anyone try out the newer versions to see if they work? Hope they fix this as I don't want to disable auto updates in the play store as this is pretty nice to have all my apps update w/out my active involvement..

I am on version 8.4.81.558 which I received today.

I am outta town and cannot test it, but that is the latest according to the Play Store.

8.4.81.558 not working for me.  Went back to old version using link above. Sad Spotify, really sad.  (Premium subscriber with family plan)

Mine didn't work with either of these recent updates.

Can suggest that for everyone affected raise a support case each with Spotify.

Send your email to:  support@spotify.com

I attempted to open a support case and was told that front line support does not have any method to let Engineering know about issues.

All they could do was attempt to resolve the issue with the customer, which obviously wouldn't be useful for this issue as it is a material change in the software and not a user controlled type of issue.

Regardless others might have better luck as front line support is the luck of the draw on who you get.

Anyone manage to use Spotify with a Google Pixel 3 or Android P? 

It doesn´t work for me at all.. 

Sometimes the Spotify app appears at iDrive but when I start the chose it, nothething happens..

I have used Spotify with a Google Pixel 2XL on Android P without issue,

The issue is specifically (at least in my case) with the Android Spotify
App and BMW IDrive.

BMW 5 Series 2016 - Spotify stopped working, I am very **bleep**, this is the second time, the other one was when they discontinued support for the Bang &Olufsen 1 1/2 year old A9 MK1. It is just a total disrespect for premium customers. I will start to reconsider other players.

I am glad to confirm that Spotify is now working for me in my 2017 F20 BMW with Google Pixel 3 running Android P!! All I had to do is installing the older Spotify App in version 8.4.77.779

Many thanks for this awesome workaround!!

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. The Spotify app shows up on iDrive menu but on click nothing happens. It used to work before Spotify app update.

Please Spotify team fix this issue and next time consider testing bmw connected drive integration before releasing any version. 

Thx

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Note 8

Operating System

Android O

I have a 2018 BMW M4 with iDrive 6.0, for the first 9 months my bluetooth Spotify integration has been perfect.  Then 5 weeks ago it just went dead, when I launch the app on iDrive I get a blank screen and no Spotify.

I uninstalled the Spotify app and rolled it back to an old APK from early November 2018, roughly version 8.4.78, and iDrive integration was still broken.

I then went back to an APK from September 2018, version 8.4.70, and it now works again as intended.  

So at some point in October/November 2018, Spotify released something that bricked the BMW iDrive 6.0 Spotify connectivity.  That's confirmed by it now working when I rolled back to an earlier APK from September, and being broken again when I install the latest version.

I'm reporting this purely so that it's logged, an extra voice if needed, but I pay for the service so I expect it to be supported and dealt with in the same way as any other fault is reported on a paid service.  There has been NO updates to the BMW iDrive software recently, definitely not to my car any way.

Cheers

Neil

Has anyone here asked BMW about the problem?

Though it's clear to me that the Spotify update broke it, and it stayed broken, I'm thinking now of raising an issue with BMW directly, or might speak with my local BMW main dealer about it.  It's simple mis-selling if they sell a car with a feature that is then taken away later without notice.

Quick update to my last post on this subject,  I've just emailed bmwconnecteddriveATbmwfin.com which hopefully should get through to someone at BMW who will listen to this..

I wrote an email to BMW couple of weeks ago, but no response from them.... I m really disappointed, now I m using an older version of Spotify, but in general the experience is very bad! 

I wonder whether there was an update to Spotify's API or similar. As far as I can work out, the car instructs the phone to launch the BMW Connected app, and then BMW Connected launches the Spotify app. I presume the car then continues to talk to the BMW Connected app, which in turn instructs Spofity to play/pause/skip/etc. It'll also be asking for track lists, playlists, etc. It'll be doing that via an API.

I own a Samsung Galaxy Watch and the Spotify app for that has also stopped connecting to Spofity installed on my phone. At the exact same time, if I had to guess.

In fact, I've just found the Github page for the Android SDK - https://github.com/spotify/android-sdk/releases. It got an update 7 days ago and on the 17th Oct before that. Perhaps BMW need to update the Connected app to use the latest version, as do whoever makes the Spofity Galaxy Watch app (Spotify themselves?).

Suggested posts