Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Solved!

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

457 Replies

Yes but it's still not working for me. Please Spotify fix it!!!

For your information. 

Emne: Re: Spotify BMW connecteddrive idrive6 [ref:_00DD0pxIW._5005720Pgmn:ref ]

Hello again Ståle,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're still waiting for a feedback about it as of this time. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before we've resolved the issue.

Thanks again for your patience, we really appreciate it.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions for us. We're just an email away.

All the best,

Josephine

Spotify Customer Support

------------------

Emne: Re: Spotify BMW connecteddrive idrive6 [ref:_00DD0pxIW._5005720Pgmn:ref ]

Hello,

New version (8.4.84.874) is out 13. december.

Still not working with BMW idrive6 and BMW Connected.

Have to downgrade to version 8.4.77.779 to get it working again.

When is the fix comming?

Regards,

Ståle 

Norway

On 2018-12-11 03:30,  wrote:

Hi Ståle,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We know how important it is to use Spotify using the new version.

Many thanks for reporting this. Our tech folks are currently looking into it. A fix should be on its way soon!

If you have any further questions, please let us know!

All the best,

Josephine

Spotify Customer Support

In all seriousness, you have gotten more information out of Spotify than I have.

I even went as far as to Google for Spotify Android employees and found a few LinkedIn profiles.

I then had to go about figuring out Spotify's email naming convnconve, they don't have one. So I then had to come up with different name combos and I did manage to get an email or two to the kntendei recipient.

I did hear a word back, I again emailed Spotify and was told to contact BMW. I emailed BMW and CC'ed Spotify so that Spotify could see that BMW was passing the buck to Spotify and Spotify responds that if BMW won't help me than they have nothing else to offer.

Finally I started a new email to Spotify explaining that all I want is a new bug report and I included a link to this thread and the best I got is that they will forward the issue but could make no promises if it would get fixed.

You have gotten farther than I have, I still maintain that one should always take front line support's info with a grain of salt, but in this case at least you are getting some amount of tangible info.

Lastly, my wife ks quick to remind that while annoying, it is wholy a First World problem and I should keep some perspective on it.

for your information the same problems are also present in MINI Connected Drive.

I also accused MINI but they replied that it is a problem of Spotify app. I really hope they solve it soon.

I am not surprised that it also affects Mini as the infotainment system is a shared platform just skinned for the respective brand.

BMW and Mini are blaming Spotify shich on one level makes sense but on another level they are marketing the feature so they should be working with Spotify to get it fixed.

I have been really frustrated by this problem too - tried everything and resigned to just using normal Bluetooth - just found this thread and installed the slightly older version of Spotify as you have suggested - it now works! I am very grateful for this solution. Thank you. For less techy people you download the correct older version of Spotify as listed, then uninstall current Spotify app from your phone, then click on and install the downloaded version. Yes, you do need to temporarily allow 'download and install from untrusted sources' but just set it back after.  And yes you will need to disable auto updates of apps until they fix it or it will be a short lived solution!

Snowsurfer71 I wouldnt use the word "solution" as it is just a workaround I found 🙂

Glad you have got it working.

Ash

It is exactly that a workaround, I pointed the workaround out to Spotify support, so hopefully they pass that info and this thread in general to their Engineer's who can compare the code changes and fix whatever the issue is.

I can also confirm this issue, and I can't believe Spotify ignores this for over a month now.

I use the latest Spotify version: 8.4.84.874

Hey guys,

I'm from Germany and I just got my new BMW 225XE, Spotify is also not running in Germany. Since BMW's folks are nearly all German, I am going to contact them in German the next days after christmas, hoping to see some changes, this is really embarrassing, one of the biggest car producers in Germany not able to fix a simple Spotify integration.

Marry Christmas,

Hendrik

Having this problem too - really frustrating. worked fine on 2018 X1 and galaxy S9 for 5 months, then most recent update in nov spotify app wont work

Fixed by uninstalling on my S9 and reinstalling the old version via the link on page 1.

I also use Spotify via Android Auto on my VW. Works really well. BMW need to stick to building cars and let Apple/Android run the apps.

Here is a fix that works as suggested by the user above. Google old apks of Spotify and then download one from November. Make sure you turn off automatic updates from Google play. Then the Spotify icon will appear in connected drive like it used to

I also made it work with an old version from November. Unfortunately Spotify is disturbed by a phone call and doesn't continue running after that. Does anyone know this problem too?

thank You so much for this hint! It's finally working again.

You're right. Has disappeared for me now and cant figure out how to bring it back. Super annoying @spotify can't figure this out.

In my opinion a downgrade of an application cannot be called a "fix" this is a workaround. It would be really nice if spotify can address this bug in the next update or even better as a hotfix.

I can't get mine working on any of the old versions. Frustrating! Same seems to have happened with audible on Android also! 

Same here, I thought it was because I changed my phone (now android 9) and
the workaround using the old version is also not working for me any more.
It seems to be getting worse, not better.

Also on Android 9 , seriously thinking of moving to iPhone. Tested on iDrive and every app works. Spotify, audible.. etc

Suggested posts