Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Solved!

BMW ConnectedDrive not working

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Nexus 6P

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

So I have a BWM 1 series for about a week now and was able to connect spotify without any problems until it stopped working once i got back in my car two days ago. It still shows up in my apps, and sometimes I can click it and continue to the next screen but it doesn't load any further than that. I also get a notification on my phone that it's connected.

The problem started when I used the spotify app on my computer and connected to Sonos. But I already changed it in the computer app so the music plays from my computer itself.

The funny thing is that it does play spotify from my phone connected via bluetooth, just not from the app that's in the list.

Any idea how I can fix this? Already tried to reinstall the app, open the spotify app through the connected drive app, and disconnect/reconnect my phone.

Top Answer
Daisy
Spotify Legend

Hey everyone,

If you're having issues with BMW ConnectedDrive, we recommend you reach out to BMW about this.

Make sure your devices are always up to date. 

Have a nice day! 

457 Replies

It is more consistent in connecting, but more often than not, I now get a blank screen in the car when launching Spotify. 

Pretty much given up now with Spotify in the car since buying the car last July. BMW are quick enough to market this as a feature, but don't tell you when you're buying that it doesn't actually work properly. It's cost me so much wasted time, grief and frustration!  

I have had the galaxy S8 and S9 with my 2019 BMW and have an unsuccessful connection maybe 5% of the time.  I cannot share the same problems as others here on this post.  The only problem I have is the scroll wheel not displaying the playlist on my HUD.  

For the ones that are having this problem, have you tried using Tasker?  Make a rule that when it connects to your bmw bluetooth, open spotify automatically and BMW connected.  

Mine seems to be worse lately than it was a month ago. Connects properly
only about half the time, so it's not consistent or reliable.

@chanmanx2k wrote:

I have had the galaxy S8 and S9 with my 2019 BMW and have an unsuccessful connection maybe 5% of the time.  I cannot share the same problems as others here on this post.  The only problem I have is the scroll wheel not displaying the playlist on my HUD.  

For the ones that are having this problem, have you tried using Tasker?  Make a rule that when it connects to your bmw bluetooth, open spotify automatically and BMW connected.  

I have also S9 and 2019 BMW but I would say my "hit rate" is other way around, only 5% succesful. Also I've noticed a paatern. After longer stay (i.e. several hours between) I might get that 95% conections, so first drive of the day it connects better. But when you have only short stops, it refused to re-connect.

And yes, I've tried Tasker and MacroDroid, but without any better success rate.

The BMW connect app is having so many other connection (like remote heating/cooling etc.) issues as well and I just can't understand why BMW can't get these problems fixed. With this BMW Connect app update cycle (several months between updates and no update at all to car's entertainment system, which most likely is required at least to get the HUD working) I will change my car before these will be fixed. I've tried to get information from BMW organization as well but they just keep silent and you can't get any answer from BMW to your questions.

Maybe BMW should open-source their software so the community can fix the
problems and ensure its maintained long after any BMW warranty expires?
It's evident that whoever is coding this is not good enough.

Spotify this is **bleep**ing horrible. There is no excuse for this. You have known this since september and the other issue with controls on lockscreen not working have been known for a while.

Switching to apple music for sure. Get**bleep** together before everyone leavs. Ty.spotify.PNG

@user-removed wrote:

Spotify this is **bleep**ing horrible.

I pretty sure that this time the issue is BMW, not Spotify. Current BMW Conect (Android version) just is not compatible with current Spotify. It is pretty sure because BMW is the only "device" which is not working with Spotify, and an update to BMW Connect made it already working partly. But of course it is much easier and cheaper to quit Spotify than change a car :).

But you are absolutely right on that that it is really unbelivable that two such big premium brands,  BMW and Spotify, can't get this sorted out.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience on this. It's currently being worked on, and we suggest that you always make sure to keep everything up to date (Spotify and BMW software).

We'll keep you updated on this thread. Thanks!

Did anyone try with the latest bmw connected 6.1.1.5396 and spotify 8. 5. 3. 176? 

Don't have the update available to me yet.

Dan

don't have this connect version, either 

I tried it this morning, it's the same as the previous version. Doesn't always connect to the car and only shows loading on the wheel controls. I've got a long drive tomorrow and have switched to the BMW Connected drive Deezer trial in preparation for that, so far that's been fantastic. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience on this. It's currently being worked on, and we suggest that you always make sure to keep everything up to date (Spotify and BMW software).

Head over here if you are just experiencing the issue where the Spotify logo is not centered in the UI.

We'll keep you updated on this thread. Thanks!

Hi,

my configuration:

- Samsung Galaxy S7

- Android 8.0.0 (Security Patch 01. March 2019)

- Spotify 8.5.4.769 (beta?)

- BMW Connected 6.1.1.5396

- Bluetooth AVRCP-Version: AVRCP 1.6

This morning I tried to start Spotify from my BMW.

All three (timely independant) attempts were successfull (!!!)

After entering the car it takes about 10 - 20 sec until the Spotify icon shows up in the media-menu.

After selecting the Spotiy icon the menu with all the control-options showed up immediately and I was able to listing to a Spotify stream.

However, the HUD is still in a permanent "loading..." state.

Maybe I should mention that I disconnected my mobile from the cars Bluetooth-configuration and did a fresh reconnect, last night. No idea if this had an impact of todays successfull Spotify sessions.

With the current software upgrade (BMW connect and/or Spotify) it looks like BMW/Spotify are on the right track to fix a long lasting issue.

Regards

Fritz

After receiving the update to my connected app (I have a MINI, so MINI
Connected... the same version as BMW Connected: 6.1.1.5396), I decided to
update to the new Spotify version (previously was
running com.spotify.music-8.4.77.779.apk to get the Spotify app to show up
and be functional).

So far everything is working again. I hope the bug changes/fixes will also
fix the issue for all of the Bimmers out there.

@fritzkramer out of curiousity, what do you typically do to have spotify appear? Does the phone just need to be connected to the car or do you actually play via bluetooth and then the spotify icon eventually appears 

@Dennisrdman wrote:
After receiving the update to my connected app (I have a MINI, so MINI
Connected... the same version as BMW Connected: 6.1.1.5396), I decided to
update to the new Spotify version (previously was
running com.spotify.music-8.4.77.779.apk to get the Spotify app to show up
and be functional).

So far everything is working again. I hope the bug changes/fixes will also
fix the issue for all of the Bimmers out there.

Hello @Dennisrdman

I also have a MINI but for me the problem has not been solved,
please could you tell me which version you are using of Spotify, Android and AVRCP?

Thanks in advance

@Abonet wrote:

@fritzkramer out of curiousity, what do you typically do to have spotify appear? Does the phone just need to be connected to the car or do you actually play via bluetooth and then the spotify icon eventually appears 

This morning I had to do nothing special:

- I just entered the car my Adroid-phone next to me, started the car, waited 10 - 20 sec until the Spotify icon, selected the Spotify icon as music channel.

No special action with the smartphone at all.

Before I entered the car the second time I even rebooted the smartphone then did the same as above and it worked.

Regards

Fritz

got the connected update today. Will try asap.

But yesterday i was using the "old" connected version and spotify 8.5.4.770. There is a new Notification in the top bar, that does not disappear when the car is disconnected. I can't even close this. I need to restart the phone

pic.png

@groove2spotify wrote:

got the connected update today. Will try asap.

But yesterday i was using the "old" connected version and spotify 8.5.4.770. There is a new Notification in the top bar, that does not disappear when the car is disconnected. I can't even close this. I need to restart the phone

pic.png

I got this notification and was happy to see it, because that message appeared many many months ago when Spotify worked correctly with BMW ConnectedDrive.

I have not recieved the new BMW ConnectedDrive app, while the app is working better than it used to, I am still not able to use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel and am met with the loading message.

Suggested posts