Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

BUG: Spotify Connect issues with new ps4 app.

Solved!

BUG: Spotify Connect issues with new ps4 app.

Today I've noticed some issues with Spotify Connect. Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Have Spotity desktop running. Music paused 1.0.8.59.gee82e7e6
2. Boot up PS4 and launch Spotify (just updated)
3. Play Spotify top 100 playlist
4. Hold down the playstation home button, enter rest mode and wait for the PS4 to show an orange lightbar.

- Notice that the desktop client is still showing that the PS4 is playing the song.
- You can hit next or back, but it keeps repeating the same song.
- Clicking on other songs, doesn't change the song that should be playing on PS4.
- Even when switching to Mac I can still switch back to the PS4.

- These problems with Spotify Connect are easily reproducible. However, the result may differ sometimes. Sometimes it just doesn't listen to my input. Clicking on the seekbar, skip buttons or another song simply doesn't do anything. And sometimes it does. Either way it should be switching to my desktop sound.

Clearly, the PS4 app isn't sending a ping to the Spotify Connect servers telling the device goes offline.

I hope you guys can take a look at it and fix it so the confusion that might happen during these bugs are gone. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @webstylecenter

Thanks for bringing it up. I've passed it on to the right team and they're aware of this one.
It seems that the PS doesn't send a 'goodbye' when it powers off, so it doesn't update to Connect on your desktop.

I suppose a work around for now could be to close the Spotify app while you're in the menu, before you enter rest mode.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hello!

The most likely reason that Connect isn't deactivating is because your PS4 is still connected to the internet on rest mode. Try completely turning off your console and see if it automatically switches.

Hi Mathues,

Thanks for your reply. As far as I know, the PS4 disconnects all apps and games from the internet when entering rest mode. If you return, you'll notice that your games are discconnected and trying to reconnect. For Spotify, this is the same. When you turn on the PS4 you might see that Spotify is showing a message that connection has been lost. The only connection that is alive is the one that connects with PSN for updates and instand-on functionality.

With that being said. If it works or not with turning my PS4 off completely is irrelevent. The issue here is that I stop playing on my PS4 and Spotify Connect doesn't notice. If my report lacks important information I would be happy to add more, other than that I hope the issue will be noticed and fixed by the appropiate team.

Thanks 🙂

Marked as solution

Hey @webstylecenter

Thanks for bringing it up. I've passed it on to the right team and they're aware of this one.
It seems that the PS doesn't send a 'goodbye' when it powers off, so it doesn't update to Connect on your desktop.

I suppose a work around for now could be to close the Spotify app while you're in the menu, before you enter rest mode.

Hope that helps!

It's already 2016, and it has not been fixed

It's a bug known since autumn at least! Spotify will you finally do something about it? If I want to play a song on spotify (wired with my hi fi system) through spotify connect it fails every time. You have to choose an album, choose a song, and hit Play button at least 20x times (LOL!!!). If it starts playing, pray it will end the album till the end! If you want to change the album, repeat the process, 10-20 times hit Play like a madman.

Reinstalling the App didn't work, creating new PS4 account and installing there also didn't work

It is really dissapinting Spotify, I am convincted that you are aware of this issue and done nothing yet

Will you at least give us ANY solution?

I also had this issue, but after the last update spotify won't start at all.. it is just stuck in the "loading screen"
But if I start spotify on my pc or phone and play a song, then I can choose to play on the Ps4. I can hear the song on the Ps4 but I can't control the music from ps4... and it still just shows the loading screen..

Hi.

Recent issue while playing spotify through PS4. When I press play on my Android app while connected to PS4 it plays then instantly pauses. Very frustrating. Please help.

P.

Yeah. Still no fix? Extremely frustrating that the app is rendered entirely useless on PS4... Please let us know what's going on, and whether you're on the case, Spotify.

Yeah.

Ps4 spotify app sucks major **bleep**.
Still doesnt work.

Have you tried urinating on your ps4 Paul?

Okay this is absolutely ridiculous. 2 years later and now it's 2017. I downloaded Spotify a little over a month ago and whenever I go into the application on my PS4 not all I get is a black screen.
When I paid for the subscription part of the agreement is that I will be able to listen to the music from that app.
I am not receiving my side of the aggreement and am unable to listen to music.
I am paying for a service which I am not receiving. Please find a solution to this problem or I will be escalating this on account that I am being scammed.

I just bought my ps4 n i see alot of people complaing about spotify this is an outrage all i get is a black screen if i allow spotify on my device it works threw holding ps button but IM GLAD I DIDNT BUY SPOTIFY PLUS WASTE OF TRASH FIX YOUR **bleep** U BUNCH OF LAZY **bleep**S

Not only is ps4 a unfinished  piece of **bleep** I wish i didnt listen to my friends PC MASTER RACE FOR A REASON atleast theres actual fixes why sony came out with a unfinished  piece of **bleep** system that fails at simple tasks is beyond me nvm paying for online play n getting dced or unable to join my friends WAY TO GO SONY U MONEY GRUBBIN GOOFS

In my case it was sony bravia fault. I had to reset all settings (android issues after 3rd party software). Plus bravia is not connected to internet. Now everythig is allright!

Suggested posts