Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Web Player] Liked Song list will not play if it contains more than 10,000 songs.

[Web Player] Liked Song list will not play if it contains more than 10,000 songs.

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Device

Laptop

Operating System

Windows 8.1

My Question or Issue

I primarily use Spotify through my web browser( Opera GX), and when I place more than 10,000 songs on my liked song list it no longer plays. Attempting to play the liked songs list at this point will result in a "this content is not available" message.

2021-03-11_10-09-11.png
27 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Chromium Spotify Web Player (plugins installed)

Operating System

Cloudready Neverware Chromium OS

My Question or Issue

I have 15,000 songs in my Liked songs folder which I suspect is the source of the problem on the Web Player in Chromium browser. I have the plugins installed and can actually play music through other playlists without problem.

I can't play any track in Liked Songs at all, either, from choosing individual tracks.

Is this a known issue and is there any workaround / solution on its way?

Screenshot 2020-12-29 at 17.04.37.png

I'm having the same problem on a desktop browser and my Xbox One.

Moving Liked Songs playing from another device to it does not work either. I tried that.

Hi folks! 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community 🙂 

Could you let us know if this is only happening on the web player or on the desktop app too?

Additionally, we recommend trying with a different network, for example creating a hot spot on your phone and using that - if that's possible.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I might need to re-word this problem as occurring with my large library of 15,000+ tracks. The same problem actually occurs on the Google Nest Mini I was given with compliments from Spotify, too.

It would seem Liked Songs does not work at all on non OS Apps (Web, Nest mini, Chromecast Audio) after surpassing the 15,000 milestone. It is simply too big, I hav suspicion it's this, rather than the Web Player itself I originally mentioned.

My current solution for this will likely be to create multiple playlists of several thousand tracks and play them individually, though not completely ideal.

Hey there @z5g_jy-ggtai,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you let us know which devices this occurs on?

It would also be great if you can log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist,

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

It works in the desktop app and the mobile app, but not a browser. The in-browser and Xbox One players are the only ones I've tried that are having trouble. This problem has occurred for me over 2 different networks. My liked songs are around 18,000. I hope that's not what's causing it because that's really the only playlist I want to listen to. I don't want to create multiple smaller ones, and I definitely don't want to go back to Pandora

Hey there @BuddyAM,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Could you try using a different connection, like another WiFi network or a mobile hotspot, and let us know if the issue persists?

We'd also like to know if the same issue happens when listening to a smaller playlist.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I've tried it on two different Wi-Fi networks already. It's definitely not the network. Other playlists seem fine, whether made by me or a pre-made playlist. I can shuffle artists or albums without issue. I have yet to try a playlist nearly the size of my liked songs, though. I don't really want to make a 15,000 song playlist just to test this.

I'll be choosing smaller playlists for the time being, maybe split into a collaborative list, see if that works.

It is perhaps non hw acceleration in tertiary platforms i.e web app, nest or non P2P network sharing.

I might not fully understand the non 10,000 limit. I don't know.

Hey there @Thelordelric,

Thanks for reporting this to us! We'll look into it.

For now, could you try another browser to see if that makes a difference? If that doesn't work either you can also consider downloading the desktop app.

Let us know how you get on. We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply 🙂

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Trying to play the liked song list in other browsers results in the same message, and the desktop app does not display the list at all. For further information: when I set about to like the songs I first added them to a custom playlist. This was so that I could scroll down the playlist to quickly like a large number of songs. When I liked all songs in the playlist I deleted it. I did not play the liked list before deleting the custom playlist, but unliking songs to bring the like list below 10,000 renders it playable again. Liking songs to bring above 10,000 renders it unplayable. Oddly enough even though I deleted the playlist a shortcut for it still appears on my home page. I can still access the playlist and it plays songs as normal.

2021-03-12_20-01-57.png
2021-03-12_20-07-08.png

Hello again @Thelordelric,

Thanks for getting back to us with all these details - we really appreciate it!

Do only your Liked Songs appear as empty in the desktop app or any playlist? What happens if you double-click on your Liked Songs in the left-side menu - do the songs play or are you getting an error message?

In order to fix any issues with the desktop app, we’d recommend reinstalling the app following the steps here, as well as removing any entries in the Windows hosts file.

As a workaround, you can also try Spotify Connect to play your Liked Songs through the desktop app (or any other compatible device) while using the web player as a remote.

And lastly, depending on how long ago you’ve deleted the original playlist, it might still be available for anyone who follows it, has a link to the playlist, or (as in your case) played it recently so it shows up on the home page, but it should be completely removed after 90 days. If you can no longer find the playlist here - it should be gone for good.

Hope you’ll find this information useful. Keep us posted!

XeniaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I will answer you questions one at a time.

Do only your Liked Songs appear as empty in the desktop app or any playlist?

Only the liked song list is empty. Other playlists appear and function normally.

What happens if you double-click on your Liked Songs in the left-side menu - do the songs play or are you getting an error message?

I get the error message regardless of where I click or how many times I click. I've hammered the songs with and the play button with an auto clicker to no effect.

I'll think about Spotify Connect, and reinstalling the desktop app, but to be honest I don't really like the desktop app.

Hey @Thelordelric

Thanks for getting back in touch and for letting us know that. 

We've passed this info on to our tech teams and they're currently looking into this.

We'll make sure to keep you up to speed with any news we have to pass on. 

Cheers 🙂 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

It happens on my Android phone and my tv

Hey there @Jinjaninja420,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid any repeating steps.  

On another note, we'd like to know how many Liked songs you have and if you can play smaller playlists without a problem on your devices. 

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

Since passing 10,000 liked songs, I can't play them in the web player, on FireStick or XBOX. Can't double click 'Liked Songs' in the sidebar on Web Player, the big play button doesn't work either. Can't play any individual tracks from the list. It only works on the PC app or on my phone. But even then, you can't use Spotify Connect to start playing on PC or mobile and move it over to the web player or a TV app. This has only happened since adding 10,000 liked songs, it worked totally fine before reaching the old limit.

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

(Web Player, FireStick, XBOX)

My Question or Issue

Since passing the old limit of 10,000 Liked Songs, I can't play them on most devices anymore. The web player (have tried different browsers, as well as incognito mode), FireStick, XBOX Series X... None of these devices work. The only ones that do are the Windows PC app and my Android phone. But even then, I can't start playing on those and then use Spotify Connect to go over to another device - it just doesn't work. No method of playing these tracks works, I've tried everything. I can't double click 'Liked Songs' in the web player, I can't press the big play button, I can't even scroll or search for a particular song and double-click or press play to play that song.

Suggested posts