Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cant play on Chrome

Solved!

Cant play on Chrome

Hello,

I would like to subscribe to Spotify, so I just created a free account before possibly switching to a familly account.

I tried at my work (90% of my music streaming activity, for now with another site), but I can't get the webplayer to work (not compatible browser).

What are the compatible versions of Chrome? Nothing is indicated on the help page.

I'm running on Windows 7, with no admin access and no possibility to download .exe files (any zip version of the player?), and no possibility to plug any external drive. I can only install portable versions (if it's not with .exe extention...)

I use Chrome 60.0.3112.78, I have an older version of Firefox (with no possibility to upgrade). I also tried the last version of Chromium with no success

I already posted yesterday, but my message disappeared, so I hope this one goes through, cause I have enough of struggling with 20 captcha and forbidden sentences...

Thanks for any help

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @TourFL.

Thanks for getting back to us.

The current version of Chrome is 72 so it looks like you are using a beta or dev release. So this might be the cause.

If you don't have an option to install the stable release version 72, try to compress the folder at home which installs in App Data > Roaming. It's a folder called Spotify and should contain everything you need.

Hope that works! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Update on the situation: I managed to email myself the spotify player executable, but it doesn't install because it can't connect to internet (probably firewall problem)

Didn't manage to install latest portable chrome (dev 73.0.36640.3) for the same reasons...

So unless I manage to find a full archive of the player (or of chrome), and not those usual small installers trying to download the software, I guess I will have to find an alternative to Spotify and buy a membership elsewhere 😕

Hey @TourFL.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Try the following alternative link to the webplayer to see if that works:

https://play.spotify.com/?http=1

You can also try the installer from this page as it's an offline installer.

Hope one of these two options work for you! If not, you'll need to get in touch with your administrator for further help.

Let us know if you have further questions. Have a nice day!

Thanks for your help

Unfortunately, nothing worked yet.

I downloaded the full installer this week-end, and tried it today, it failed to execute (Spotify could not start: error 17)

The alternative webplayer link is also telling me that my browser is not compatible.

Is there a way to know which versions of Chrome are compatible? Or is it one of the plugins requiring a newer version? It would be nice to know the exact requirements so I could try updating accordingly

Now I will try to install Spotify at home, compress the installed version and copy it at work. Possibly do the same with latest Chrome portable version to see if I can get the webplayer to work.

Thanks

Marked as solution

Hey @TourFL.

Thanks for getting back to us.

The current version of Chrome is 72 so it looks like you are using a beta or dev release. So this might be the cause.

If you don't have an option to install the stable release version 72, try to compress the folder at home which installs in App Data > Roaming. It's a folder called Spotify and should contain everything you need.

Hope that works! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Thanks, I finally got it to work, I can now buy my familly account 😄

The trick was indeed to install on my computer at home, zip everything and copy on my computer at work.

I did it with Chrome portable V72, and the web player works.

I also did it with the spotify app full version (which is installed in the <user>/AppData/Roaming directory, no wonder it didn't install without the rights) and it seems to work. I cannot see the pictures (album covers, artist photo, etc) but I can listen to music, that's the main thing 🙂

Thanks for your help!

Suggested posts