Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cast Spotify Video

Cast Spotify Video

Spotify now has video but I am unable to cast the audio or video anywhere. I mainly use Google home(s) but thought I  would have the ability to cast the video to my tv via Chromecast.  Am I missing something?

14 Replies

Yes, this seems to be an issue. If the song is a video, or you are listening to a video playlist, you cannot cast the song. It's quite a shame that users are not allowed to disable videos. 

Now that the Joe Rogan Experience has been acquired by Spotify, it's incomprehensible that this issue has not been tackled yet. Lots of viewers are used to Chromecasting the JRE via YouTube, but are now unable to cast the video.
They are going to lose a lot of viewers because of this.

Hey @wambo010 and @Fishwise,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

If you're referring to the Canvas, the looping visual layer which replaces the album artwork in the Now Playing View, keep in mind that it's only not currently available for desktop and web applications. If you're casting from these app versions, the Canvas would still not appear.

If you experience any issues with this feature, it's possible that some of the apps files might have gotten corrupted. A clean reinstall usually solves such issues. Make sure to restart both devices afterwards. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for the response.

I am using my Android phone to cast to a Google home Chromecast device.

I am not the only one who has this problem. Please check out the following Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/comments/ikjzop/spotify_mega_thread/

When I start the podcast, the video is playing on my phone, however when I cast, only the audio is playing.

Are you suggesting reinstalling the Spotify app on my phone might help?

Hey @Bartvanderdrift,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the confusion.

It seem that the videos in podcasts are currently only supported on the mobile and desktop versions of the app. However, this is something other Spotify users mentioned they'd like to see in this idea so make sure to add your support there. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon as there are any. The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope this is useful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator

I'm feeling ya... even spotify on xbox will not play video..

This needs to be fixed, this problem shouldn't need complaints before you fix it. Its broken, so fit it....

Hello @Mihail. You have linked to an idea which is now closed. Please update the link to the idea that is still open and that is also linked to in the idea you are linking to here.

The amazon Firestack app for spotify also does not show any video?

And the spotify mobile app does not let me 'cast' the JRE from my android to the smart tv.

And no options for audio only when i driving in my car using mobile data?

The two main ways i watch/listen to JRE daily now dont work on spotify... Such a disappointment as I was looking forward to not using youtube as JRE is 90% of what i watch on youtube.

Not to mention half the fun of certain episodes is reading the comments haha

Really??? So ur not gonna fix it?? Spotifys gonna lose customers. This isn't accepted as a solution. Its so ridiculous that you have to wait for more complaints before you fix this issue. 😡😡😡😤

When when will casting things like video podcasts, such as The Joe Rogan experience, available to watch by casting to another device? This podcast will be one of the largest to hit the platform, so when can we expect to be able to cast videos on Spotify?  (Cast to a Chromecast or similar devices)

Hi @Mihail, I’m actually having the same issue - I’ve been trying to watch the JRE podcast on my TV and there seems to be no video option, only the audio. I have the latest version of Spotify on my Samsung TV. I  haven’t been able to find answers anywhere as to how to solve this. Maybe you can shed some light on this?

Hey everyone.

Thanks for your feedback, we'll make sure it reaches the right team.

In the meantime you can add your support for this idea, that requests the feature to cast video to other devices. As soon as we have news to share on any developments, we'll do it in that thread.

Hope you find this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

This is like literally the worst support response I've ever seen. Completely missed the point, did not solve the problem, and did not acknowledge the simple fact that Spotify doesn't play music videos.

Suggested posts