Casting to Chromecast with Google TV does not wake TV

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Chromecast with Google TV

My Question or Issue

When I cast to the Chromecast with Google TV from my phone it does not wake my TV like other apps do.

On my old Chromecast it would wake the TV.

Can you add this feature back in please?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ivan, thanks for trying but that didn't work, I have found a solution and will explain in case anyone else has this issue.

I uninstalled the Spotify app from Google TV and just treat it like the old Chromecast dongle, it works perfectly now and wakes the TV from standby when I connect.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @AndyHibberd

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!

First thing you can try here is resetting all connected devices and restarting them. Make sure you log out and back in to your Spotify account along with rebooting your mobile phone. 

If this persists after resetting your devices, we suggest checking out this help page. You'll find useful troubleshooting tips in the Google Chromecast section.  

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help.  

Marked as solution

Ivan, thanks for trying but that didn't work, I have found a solution and will explain in case anyone else has this issue.

I uninstalled the Spotify app from Google TV and just treat it like the old Chromecast dongle, it works perfectly now and wakes the TV from standby when I connect.

Hey @AndyHibberd

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We’re happy to hear you managed to solve the issue the way you describe. 

Let us know if you have any questions - we're always one post away. 

Еnjoy your music! 

Hi @Ivan,

This is not a clean solution at all, as it is way slower to connect this way than the app in Google TV did.

Using the phone as a remote via the Google TV App was pretty much seemless, now it is a bumpy road until connected to the Chromecast in the first place.

Also, I loose the ability to use the Google TV App of Spotify because I have to uninstall it to solve this.

Furthermore, I can not use my phone (iPhone 11 pro) to change the Chromecast volume. I get a notification on the TV to use the Chromecast remote. That is not intuitive at all and a pretty bad user experience. 

In my opinion this really needs to be fixed. Hope you can assist.

Best,

Jonas

Has there been any development on this issue?

I can't help but notice that this issue has been made public over a year ago and I'm still having the same problem with my new Chromecast. 

If Spotify application is installed on the 

Chromecast with Google TV the casting from phone stops working. The phone app says its connected but TV won't wake up and nothing is casted to the Chromecast.

@Ivan Why would you mark the issue "Solved" if casting is still clearly broken?

Another half year later and this problem still persist. I agree with the others, this is not a solution but a poor workaround at best.

Suggested posts