Premium

Country

uk

Device

OnePlus Nord

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

IS there a was of being able to change when a podcast is marked as played?

I can start playing a podcast that may be 2-3 hours long and if I stop and want to go back to it I have to search through (sometimes hundreds of podcasts (eg Joe Rogan)) all the podcasts to find the one i was on as they are marked as played after only a few seconds? It would be helpful if it was marked as played when only a few minutes are left or fully compete?

Thanks in advance 

Peter

15 Replies

Hey there @petermcl,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

When you play an episode but don't finish it, it shouldn't be marked as played - a progress bar should appear and the time it has left to be completed.

If they're being marked as played after playing a few minutes, we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app to get rid of any cached files that might be causing this. 

It's also a good idea to exclude the app from any Battery optimization software that might be active on your smartphone.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi I've tried this and not seen any changes to the issue.
Ive also cleared the cache separately but still not any fix.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Peter

Hi again @petermcl,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

Could you try logging in to your account on a different device and let us know if you observe the same behavior? Also, try logging in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's, on your phone and check if the same happens. This would help us determine if this is related to the account or device.

Additionally, can you send us a screenshot of how those episodes look like on your end?

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

This is still an issue for me. See the attachment. Please advise on how to fix this. 

IMG_2F02FAE3705E-1.jpg

Hi @jdb334,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

Could you tell us if this is happening when logging in with another device and with the web player?

Also, let us know if the issue persists when playing episodes with another account in your device. 

We'll be waiting here for your reply.

AndresMModerator
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

I have also tried this on pc, ps4 and still no difference. All podcasts are being marked as played after only a few seconds. 

I don't see a "new episodes" option on the web player or on the desktop spotify app

Hey folks,

Thanks for your inputs so far.

We've checked this with our internal teams and they could confirm that this is expected behavior. The podcast episode will be marked as played, but a progress bar will also be present, indicating how much of it was played. You can manually mark an episode as not played from the three dots menu.

As for the New episodes tab, it's only available in the mobile version of the app.

Hope this clears things up. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for the clarification, however if this is normal behavior then may I suggest some feedback and have an option to change when this is triggered? This becomes particularly annoying when you are looking for a half played podcast and selecting unplayed removes it from the list so even though the progress bar is showing its not complete the only way to find it is amongst hundreds of other podcasts in the same series (Joe Rogan podcast has thousands and this will become rather tiresome if you are at podcast 700+....). Having this option to only mark as played after x% would, I'm sure, benefit numerous people.

Thanks for your input and clarifying this behaviour.

Hey @petermcl,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

That's a great idea, we appreciate the feedback and your suggestions. If you think other users would like this feature to be implemented as well, you can post this idea (if there's no similar one) in our Idea exchange board.

Before posting it, we'd recommend checking our Idea exchange Guidelines to avoid your idea from being closed.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. The Community will be here for you.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

There actually is no "new episodes" option on the web player

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 4.36.52 PM.png

Really unfortunate function. I will probably switch podcast apps. Thanks anyway.

Hey @jdb334,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

Keep in mind the New episodes tab, it's only available in the mobile version of the app. This is why you cannot see it on the desktop app version.

If this is something you'd like to see in the future, you can create a new Idea so other users vote for it. Make sure to check our Idea Exchange Guidelines.

If you need anything else, the Community will be here for you.

Take care!

CarlosEModerator

Plan

Premium

Country

Uk

Device

(Samsung Galaxy 😎

Operating System

(Android 9)

My Question or Issue

When filtering podcast episodes by unplayed, any partially played episode is not induced in the filtered list. This means I have to leave this filter off and scroll through loads of episodes to get to the one I was recently listening to. Apparently this should already be fixed but isn't happening for me on mobile (not tried desktop)

I’m having the same issue. It doesn’t give me a progress bar and marks it as played, it’s only with podcast. I think I’ve narrowed the issue to the car play setting but then it doesn’t auto start listening. I think what’s happening is they get more listens if they force you to start a new podcast. Looks like the new podcast has a 1 more view than it did. And if this happens to thousands of us. Now advertisers are seeing artificial numbers and will pay more. 

Suggested posts