Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Commercials playing over music?!

Solved!

Commercials playing over music?!

Is this a new "feature"? This stupid Captain Morgan Black Rum ad keeps playing randomly on top of my streaming music. Is this an issue, a fluke, or something new Spotify is trying out to force people into subscriptions?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've seen a few complaints about this now, so I suspect it's something to do with the ad. Hopefully our ad guys can get out sorted asap.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Marked as solution

I've seen a few complaints about this now, so I suspect it's something to do with the ad. Hopefully our ad guys can get out sorted asap.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I have only just opened Spotify this morning, but was greeted by music playing over everything with no way to stop it.  I tried closing the applicaiton and reopening it, but the music started back at the beginning.  I don't know if the auto play music was more annoying or the fact that I liked the music, but couldn't listen to the entire track 🙂

I have had this same problem. I just pause the music until the interrupting commercial stops. A fix for this would relieve confusion (I checked all my other programs to make sure there wasn't something else playing as well).

I've noticed that all the ads that load on the "What's New" page have no way of controlling them or seeing their status. The new Capt. Morgan one will play as soon as it loads, but you can't pause it, turn it down, anything. 

it's so annoying. at first I thought my computer had a virus. I just uninstalled Spotify, I'll go back to Pandora.

I just logged in to see if there was a fix for this exact problem. Out of three different autoplaying ads, I've seen only one that had a mute option. I really hope the playing over music is a bug and not a feature.

This is occuring to me too. Keeps playing some stupid song that starts off with harpsicord music then goes into a really annoying lyric "Hey you rascal you." That must be the Captain Morgan song.

I exited three the Spotify program three times. On the fourth time the Capt Morgan song doesn't play. And now there's flash controls in the ad that controls the volume, etc.

Hey!

Just wanted to check in - is anyone still running into this issue at all? And is it the Captain Morgan's advert every time causing it?
Airhorn Enthusiast

Hey, I know it's a week since the last post here, but I'm still having this problem. It's not Captain Morgan Black Rum, it's the Dentyne commercial.

The Dentyne and Captain Morgan ads both do this, SO ANNOYING! Others may do this as well.

I've been having this problem this past week, with Bing commercial and some restaurant.  Very annoying.  It's taken me a while to even figure out that it was Spotify.  I don't see any ads on my screen anywhere, so can't mute or grab them or anything.

i'm getting ads playing over music quite a bit lately. it's even over my local files (which if i'm using spotify as a local music player (because i hate itunes) then i should not get ads). they are usually spanish language ads which is even more annoying...not that playing ads in the middle of a music track isn't annoying enough.

what's the deal? how can i resolve this issue?

If you go to the Discover tab, is there a video advert playing at the top? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

yes it is happening with an allstate commercial now. How are acquisition talks going at spotify? I guess selling out is a better bet than selling to customers. They do not seem interested in my money - very strange company.

Not fixed, and personally, I think it's something done on purpose. I've noticed that whenever I leave spotify on in the background, after 20-30 min the bottom banner ad will start to play audio/video. However, the song is still playing, so it's not a regular ad video break, but an interuption to a song. However, whenever I switch back to spotify, it stops playing in a few seconds. hmmm.... maybe spotify is crooked and trying to sacrafice quality for a few extra cents out of users in order to make money? In my opinion, spotify is great, but this ad over music is a bad move on spotify's part. #MakeSpotifyGreatAgain

Suggested posts