Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy A51, Windows 10 notebook

Operating System

Android 11, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm listening on several Sonos speakers via Connect. Recently, Spotify has started playing other music once the album I listen to has finished - i.e. it's using the Autoplay feature. Problem is: Autoplay is DISABLED on all devices, but it's still being used. How do I fix this? (I've already reinstalled Spotify on all devices.)

Top Answer
AlejaR

Hey folks,

Thanks for all your replies.

@Primordial_Radiance, we'd like to confirm, is your account on free service? If yes, keep in mind our free experience on mobile is different: music on-demand is a Premium feature, so it's expected for the app to add suggested tracks within the same album/playlist. This is not the same as Autoplay. You can read more about it here. Keep in mind, these recommendations are going to appear, even if you disable Autoplay.

If your account is Premium, it'd be really helpful if you sent us a video recording of what's happening. You can attach the video to your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

Keep us in the loop!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

As mentioned by @JalapenoMunich 

An update has been posted. An option to disable Autoplay on connected devices will soon be coming to the desktop app first and then the mobile app at a later time. The setting works globally so if you turn Autoplay off in the desktop app for connected devices, it will also be off in the mobile app when playing to connected devices.

More info here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/AutoPlay-Option-to-toggle-Autoplay-on-off-across-all-devices/idc-p/5303176

327 Replies

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/21/spotify-hides-shuffle-button-adele-albums-should-tell-...

So you have disabled the shuffle button to allow albums to be played as intended, but you won't allow us to disable autoplay so albums can be heard as intended?

I am currently part way through an Apple Music trial, I am helping other family members get started with Apple Music, once that process is finished our Spotify family account is being closed.

I express my rage about your permanently enabling Autoplay on connected devices.

An idiotic and user hostile move on Spotify's part.

Some people may want it. Others do not. Make Autoplay off work again.

Man, I thought this was yet another random issue with Spotify Connect on BluOS, but this was an intentional change by Spotify instead? What a mess. You did good by removing the obnoxious shuffle on play (thanks Adele), now allow us our silence after finishing an album, please.

Oh yeah- Adele says something and they bend over backwards, us plebs notice a problem and we get told its "working as intended" and then get redirection and silence.

Cancel your subscriptions guys, there's no noise loud enough we can make

Would be great if we could get an ETA on a bug fix

Does anyone has Adele's phone number ? We need some help here as Spotify doesn't care about users... 😡

Really don't understand the thinking here, if I've set Spotify to not keep playing random tracks after I finish listening to an album, that is what should happen. Doesn't matter if I'm listening on my phone or through a connected device.

Why would you assume our preferences would be any different due to the device we happen to be listening on at any given time?

Please stop removing choice and assuming that everyone wants a never-ending stream of algorithmically curated playlists

How dysfunctional does your development/product team have to be that such an anti-feature gets released in the first place? But _without_ an option to disable it? Wow.

What the **bleep** was the thought process there? Easy promotion play due to some easily tracked minutes-played metric?

I'm really considering cancelling my subscription after close to 10 years.

On my iPhone and Sonos speakers this behavior seems to be correct now. I haven't seen random songs after an album being player for a few days now.

Cannot confirm that :-(. Spotify app was updated just yesterday but still
random stuff is being added to the queue when playing on Sonos speakers.
The behavior you see, is it maybe for albums with more than 15 tracks?

Android and Sonos, just updated, no change.

Last I checked this is still happening on iOS and Sonos.

Hey Spotify, organize a QA Guild meeting, or form a squad, or call up the appropriate trio, or turn off the feature flag you enabled, or otherwise do whatever it is that makes your much hyped Spotify Model work, and fix this!

Y’all need to stop acting like this is a bug or an unintentional change. It’s not. This is about creating an additional revenue stream from ad-free users. Spotify can sell priority placement in the Autoplay feature to bands and labels. They were hoping we’d tolerate it. Hopefully they’ll walk it back. 

It’s just like what Amazon is doing with “By the way…” on Alexa. Or Netflix with the mandatory automatic play of trailers while browsing. 

It takes a lot of noise to get these companies to stop making pro-revenue but anti-customer changes like these. Keep shouting. 

Exactly. It's like the old saying: "if you're using a free service, you're not the customer, you're the product", except in our case we are (or were) being charged.

Seriously, just quit. Like someone said earlier, there's no noise you can make to change the situation, and Spotify clearly values the labels' money more than yours. 

Come on now Spotify. It’s been long enough. Give us the ability to turn Autoplay OFF everywhere. Anything less is just a slap in our faces. 

Spotify promises premium members to "Listen without limits," but forcing autoplay is the very limits itself!

When I told my friend who uses Apple Music that Spotify Connect users can no longer turn off autoplay, she instantly said,

"Spotify wants to get more plays. If they did the same thing to a bunch of users using smartphones, they'd get a ton of flack, so they targeted Spotify Connect users.It's an incredibly dishonest company."

Spotify's folly is obvious to all. There is no excuse. Anyone who finds out about it will be appalled.

We Spotify Connnect users are proactive, active, autonomous music listeners.
We hate more than anything to be forced to listen to music we didn't choose!

Maybe we can ask Adele for help? If she demands that Spotify remove this damn Autoplay feature, I guess Spotify will fulfill her wish immediately!

Maybe provide Adele with some screenshots of what gets autoplayed for you after "30" ends?

Your Idea is missing half the problem: see b)

a) there is no settings page in the Web app, but also

b) The Autoplay setting is ignored and is Always On when playing via connected speakers (e.g. Echo, Sonos, etc.)

You've got to fix both parts of this problem. There's no point having a settings page if the settings just get ignored.

I got an offer from Amazon today offering three months' free subscription to Prime Music. What have I got to lose?

Suggested posts