Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Data usage while listing to music

Data usage while listing to music

None of the below information is required. However, the more yowu provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

( Samsung Galaxy S 21 

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

I normally listen to Spotify for about an hour today during a relaxing evening walk. I have been doing this same routine for about a year now and never had problems with my mobile data plan, until this month. 

According to the information On my phone Spotify usses about 1 gb a month give or take. That said, i just received a message from my provider that i used almost 10 gb in the last 4 days and the data uses of my phone confirms that this is indeed correct. 

What makes this even worse is that i used about 5 GB of data within an hour just by listing to my favorite podcast !. This can be confirmed by the messages from my provider. 

Message about 50 % uses on 13:59 

Message about 100 % uses on 1500 

I haven't changed any settings in the the last week and all info is on auto , so i have no idea what is going on, but this can't be right

Pleaee advise 

3 Replies

Hey @Whitewater82,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

You can have different settings for listening to podcasts and music (Streaming quality). Keep in mind that the higher the stream quality, the more data will be used.

You can reduce your data usage by toggling on Data Saver from the app's settings on your mobile device. To find out how you can do this, along with other tips, we'd recommend taking a look at this support site article.

Some podcasts feature videos and perhaps you were listening to the podcasts with the video on. You can’t turn these videos off, but they only play when you have them on-screen. If you navigate away from the podcast or lock your device, only the audio plays.

If you don't notice any difference by trying this, you can always get in touch with our Customer Support team, so they can help you check this in more detail. You can find out how to contact them here.

We hope you found this helpful. Let us know if you need anything else. 

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey together, unfortunately I can confirm what Whitewater82 is reporting. I turned the datasaver mode on, streaming quality on mobile data is on low. I am using this settings for over a year and everything was fine. Now this month my spotify used over 10 GB, too. It would be really nice to get any idea whats going on.

Hi there @Robin147,

Thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear that your app has consumed so much data.

I'd recommend reaching out to our customer support team about this. You can do so through one of the channels here

They'll be able to have a look backstage and see what might have caused this data drain. It would be great if you can prepare the following info before contacting them, so that they can handle your case faster:

• Exact date of the High Data Usage
  • What were you doing at the time? e.g. at home, driving, abroad
  • How much data was used
  • Device model & OS version
  • Spotify version
  • Is the setting "download over cellular" switched on or off

Hope this helps 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts