Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop App not working

Desktop App not working

Plan

Premium

Country

Brazil

Device

Acer Laptop

Operating System

Windows 7 SP1

My Question or Issue

For the past two weeks, my Desktop App has not been functioning correctly. The issue is that when I press the play button, it won't play the song, the app will proceed to stop loading any albums or playlists and when I close the window and try to open it again an error message saying "The Spotify application is not responding" pops-up. The weirdest part is that some rarer days it works flawlesly but in most other days it doesn't. This issue is exclusive to the Desktop App; the Web Player and Mobile App are working normally.

19 Replies

Hi there @Deno_NR,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Another useful step to try is to remove any lines of your host file. you can do that by following the steps bellow:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how it goes.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Performing a clean reinstall and restarting my device solved the issue, thanks so much! 😄

Hey @Deno_NR

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help. 

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

It stopped working again 😧

It started behaving in the same way as it was before. I tried doing what you said to the host file, but I don' even have a host file in my computer to begin with, what should I do?

Hey @Deno_NR,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Could you try running the app as an administrator to see if there are any changes?

It's also a good idea to try running a reinstall while in a safe mode. Does this make a difference?

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Performing a Clean Re-Install while on Safe Mode seems to have fixed it so far. I am going to give this a few days and if anything happens until then I will let you guys know

Hi there @Deno_NR,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're really glad to hear that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

It already stopped working lol

Hi again @Deno_NR,

Thank you for getting back to us 

Can you confirm if you you tried running the app as an administrator?

On another note, how does the app work for you if you download it form our website here?

Keep us posted.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

I did run the app as an administrator, I've tried downloading it from the website you recommended, performed a clean reinstall both out and in safe mode and the results were the same, it worked fine up until I closed the app and opened it again, when the same issue started to happen

Hey @Deno_NR,

Thanks for the reply.

There are a few more steps you need to test out:

• Try logging in with another account. You can create a free account for test purposes.
  • Try starting the app in Windows 8 Compatibility mode.
  • Try connecting to a different network such as a mobile hotspot

If none of this helps, please upload a screenshot of the errors you encounter. 

Most likely the issue is related to how the app is managing it's cache on your hard drive, since it was working well for some time after the reinstall in safe mode.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Nope, none of these worked

Keep in mind that even though it shows that the song is playing, it actually isn't playing anything and that error only shows after I try to play a song. By the way, sorry if this wasn't clear enough, I'm just really bad with words lol

Screenshot_2.png

Hi @Deno_NR

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Just to confirm, are you still experiencing these issues when you log in to your account using a different device?

Also, could you send over the exact app version you're currently running?

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I logged in my account on my brother's laptop and it worked normally.  Also, I've never experienced any of these issues on my phone, and, just to be sure, I'm logged in the same account there. Aside from that, I'm running the version 1.1.61.583.gad060c66-a

Hi again @Deno_NR

Thanks for this info.

Since you had no issues with your brother's laptop, could you let us know the OS version running on his device?

Also, could you confirm if you were able to test this with a different account on your computer? This will help us narrow down the cause of this issue. 

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

He's running Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1, and yes, I did test with a different account on my computer, and it also didn't work

Hey @Deno_NR,

Thanks for keeping us posted. 

It seems that after all the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far the issue might be originating from the specific setup of the device in use. 

In this case we suggest making sure that your device is up-to-speed with any software updates available and reaching out to the manufacturer for more info. 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions. 

Been having this problem as well for a couple of months and found others aswell in my research. Is this being worked on by Spotify, or is there a new solution on my end (the one posted don't seem to be working)? I have a desktop with ethernet cable so network issues should not be the culprit.

Hey @Kp35,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

Could you let us know if you've tried any of the troubleshooting steps suggested above and what the results were? That way we can avoid recommending something you might have already went through. That would also help us get to the bottom of this quicker.

Keep us posted, we'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Mihail Moderator

Suggested posts