Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Different music in different rooms- Sonos

Solved!

Different music in different rooms- Sonos

I have a Spotify premium account (Individual). I generally use the Sonos app to play music from Spotify on my Sonos speakers.

Since I have had this set up, I have been able to play different music in different rooms. However, when I now try this, it will only play Spotify content on one speaker, and stop playing any other speaker with Spotify content. The message ‘Playback in (room) was stopped. Spotify is being used somewhere else’.

Anyone else having this problem? Only saw it for the first time last night. Have Spotify changed their terms and conditions?

Thanks. 

78 Replies

Hey @ThreeVotes,

Thanks for reaching out - we're happy to hear everything works correctly now.

@Androandra could you also please make sure that the Spotify and Sonos apps, as well as the Speaker firmware are updated to the latest version available? This seems to have resolved the issue for some users. For the Spotify app we recommend using this guide. The steps there let you start afresh with the latest app version and remove any corrupted files from previous installations. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just switched to spotify premium and have the same issue. How is this still not fixed!? When using Google voice commands the music stops in the other room. Also often when starting music from the sonos app. 

Hey @Dalle1976,

Thanks for posting here.

Just to double-check-are there any changes after trying the steps mentioned in this thread? 

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

Still doesn't work

It is not possible to start a song with voice command in more than one room.

Very disappointing 

It should be possible to work this out - using a different approach or reaching out to Google and Amazon - or ask Spotify to have less restrictions in their suppscription.

Sonos use voice control as a selling point and right now the feature is limited, especially when multi room playback is Sonos’ key feature.

Hey @Dalle1976,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Could you please share with us the following so we can investigate this further:

• Which devices are you trying to play music on?(exact model and firmware version)
  • How do you start the playback- is it via the Sonos app, Spotify connect or voice command?
  • Are all the speakers connected to the same network?
  • Are you using multiple Sonos households?
  • Exact steps to reproduce

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Hi Mihail, thanks for responding. Removing the app and all related files seemed to do the trick for me. I'll post here if it happens again.

Hey @Androandra

We're glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing what worked for you, as it may be helpful for other users too!

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

So, apparently the problem unfortunately persists. Do you have other suggestions on how to fix it? Or can you open up an internal bug report for this? It seems like multiple people are still experiencing this issue. 

Hello,

I just want to clarify that it is only possible to play different music in different using from the Sonos app, not via voice or Spotify app.

/magnus

That is the very problem! Please try to fix this instead of "solving" it just by descriping the very issue 🙂 

Hi Magnus, does that mean that I cannot playback Spotify on Bluetooth from
my phone, while listening to Spotify on a Sonos speaker?

Hey,

Yes, that is the case.

/Magnus

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Then I won't pursue that anymore, even though I
would have hoped for it. Do you know if this is also the case for a family
account?

Hey,

If you are using different accounts then it should work. E.g. playing on account "A" in mobile to on bluetooth and playing on a Sonos speaker with account "B".

I'll take that as a no. Is it correctly understood that there are no plans
to change this behavior?

Am also having this problem. Did the removal and reinstalling etc. and nothing. This is a serious issue.

I need the solution as am also having this very serious problem.

I am also having this issue when starting playlists for two separate rooms/systems.  Please advise with a solution at your earliest convenience.  Thank you.

I have the same issue. I cant stream different music to different sonos group speekers. I reinstalled spotify app without solving the problem. Please advice for solution.

Suggested posts