Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Revert back a recent change to Discover Weekly's algorithm

[Discover] Revert back a recent change to Discover Weekly's algorithm

Last year I attended a conference where I heard one of the Discover Weekly scientist talk about the Discovery Weekly algortihm. I remembering her mentioning they discard certain genres from being included in the training data to account for christmas music as an example. Mostly I listen to EDM, alternative rock, and musicals and I always appreciated the fact that musical songs were *never* included in my discover weekly playlist... until this week. I am very particular on which soundtracks I actually enjoy and just because I like one shows soundtrack doesn't mean I'm going to like another. It was really jarring to be listening to some EDM tracks that I was really enjoying only to be switched to a song from the god awful TV show Galavant, switched back to EDM, only then to be played a song from 'The Last Five Years'. I never disliked a playlist more! If I'm part of an A/B test, make note that I am not happy with this change and your data scientists need to understand that enjoying musical soundtracks is not the same as enjoying another genre of music. One type does not fit all!

2 Replies

Hey @mcneilm4!

Welcome to the Spotify Community and thanks for your feedback. Your Discover Weekly is based on your listening history and that of other Spotify fans with similar tastes.

We recommend you to keep listening to your favorite EDM and Rock music, and then listen to musical soundtracks on Private Mode. This way, they won't count towards the algorithm for your Discover Weekly.

Hope this helps 🙂 Any other questions, just give us a shout.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I do have an issue that is really bothering me: How come I have had I'm Glad by Captain Beefheart on three seperate week's playlists and twice on one week? I also downloaded almost every CCR album ever made, I shouldn't be getting a song from any album I have downloaded and it happens a lot. Not to mention the problem above is constantly happening. Thanks. 

Suggested posts