Premium

Country

US

Device

(Iphone 11)

Operating System

(iOS 10.)

My Question or Issue

My spotify app has been showing episodes for you with disgusting contents that I'm definitely not interested in on top of my screen. Please let me know how to remove those. I'm extremely annoyed by this.

70 Replies

Really - no option to customize your homepage?  So the sexually related content can be put on the home page for any user?

This is a serious issue.  Please escalate as bug not a feature request.

How is this possible? Did you even read the complaints here?  It is not remotely pssoible to force paying customers to have explicit content automaticaly added to their spotify homepage?

I've got the same issue and Spotify - you better react...

It's disgusting, embarrassing and inappropriate to show such a content and even worse (like it's not enough), it's "for me"

I've got this thing in my account, which I'm using to listen to music and never ever any podcasts, especially of this topic.

And don't even try to say something like "turn off explicit content". I'm ok with explicit songs I've chosen and listening in headphones. It's original creation and (again) my choice. The one on the screenshot is being shown on my screen without any influence from my side and with no possibility to turn it off.

PS: Text is in Polish and says "How does a woman feel during the a_n_a_l s_e_x (yes, you're replacing those words with "bleep", like it's something inappropriate... or is it?)

msg-1306379787-15508.jpg

Update - Thank you Spotify for reacting.  Those posts are gone and I am now only seeing podcasts which I listen too.  

Spotify's financial profits are higher when streaming podcasts, so why would they change...And all this fuzz here is only free publicity for them. Be quiet sheep, Spotify owns the barn.

Absolutely.
I came here to say exactly this.
I do not want podcasts forced on me.
I chose Spotify because they seemingly knew what I liked but this is no longer the case.

This is so insanely trash feature that no word can describe it bad enough.

The linked idea already has a note from Spotify that it is not being pursued.  It's already dead and this is still a problem.

Guys today I opened my spotify and found some nsfw things in the top of my homescreen. I thought it was only a bug for me but its a problem for all..

Why is this not fixed till today ;-;

Mine keep showing drug related content and I'm the parent of a teenager so..... WTH!

My home page keeps pushing some weird fundamentalist anti-LGBTQ Christian podcast at me. This is pretty offensive, please allow me to remove it.

I am a Ukrainian living in Australia; why am I being punished with explicit content in the Russian language? Is this some sort of cynical support of the ongoing Russian war? 

mutabot_0-1658272237574.png

Yeah…… hey spotify, my 10 and 7 year old kids don’t need to see a spotify playlist with undressed women on the front suggested. 

I would expect this to be fixed pretty soon. We pay for this subscription after all…..

Spotify is willingly ignoring this despite repeated complaints and (in my case) explicit content being switched off. I have filed an FCC complaint and would strongly urge you all  to do so. This is unacceptable as they are pushing inappropriate content to users despite requests to block explicit content. Surely this is a violation of several federal laws. 

I am paying for the service, I do not need recommendations that I have not asked for, content that does not interest me in the header of my application... I see that this post is from the previous year, so as soon as I finish my current subscription I will migrate to another service. I find it disrespectful that I have to "vote" so that my main dashboard does not have disgusting content

Please do provide options to remove unwanted content

SPOTIFY, WE'VE GOT A PROBLEM

So you're pushing political/ideological/sexual/violent/drastic content OF YOUR CHOICE in a music streaming app and I have literally no way to remove it from the homepage or alter the list?

Excuse me. Is this a A Clockwork Orange penal facility?

Also, you're literally making your application NSFW, as well as unfriendly to people caring about their mental health

Today I had following "Episodes for you" chosen for your pleasure, based on who tf knows what.
What would you like to know? (severe Trigger Warning of many kinds):

Spoiler
- Why shouldn't you sleep in hotels, they're dangerous
- How a (controversial politician, who was also a s3x offender), really died
- How far the bombs will reach
- The tabloid-style summary of my country politics
- A podcast with a pink **bleep** (p3n1s. Yes, you're "*bleeping* that on the forum, but somehow push it on my homepage?) logo, someone already mentioned above 
- A mountain story about a guy who begged his partner to end his life 

(Plus two actually neutral ones about language and what my countrymen think of Halloween.) 

What is this? Who chose those? Why do they feel like taken from a tabloid frontpage?
Are you're trying to clickbait me with content I don't remotely resonate with?

WHAT THE ACTUAL F? 

PARTIAL SOLUTION: 

If you're ok with using the web version of the app ( https://open.spotify.com )
You can use AdBlock browser extension to remove the offending section from the page. 
Just go to AdBlock settings -> customize -> manually edit your filters
and add a filter for website
open.spotify.com 
with value
section[aria-label="Episodes for you"] 
in original AdBlock this will be added to the filter list as:
open.spotify.com##section[aria-label="Episodes for you"]

You can also use any other website-modifying solution like Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey and just hide/remove the offending section targetted by CSS selector section[aria-label="Episodes for you"]

Also, Spotify, please be informed, that this issue made me too start looking for another music streaming provider. 
Thank you.

I'm in the same boat, could you please recommend other options? Which you think would be a good alternative to Spotify . 

Thanks appreciate your comments.

Same problem. Some lgb stuff keeps appearing on my top #1 episode to watch even though I have never been to that stuff or searched for it. I don’t know how to make it go away. The rest of my episode recommendations make sense but that #1 recommendation that spotify is trying to force us to accept is so annoying!! It must their algorithm which they rigged and are forcing people to accept stuff they want you to accept. 

SOLUTION FOUND:

For those of you experiencing this terrible 'programming' decision, where Premium and Free members are presented with sexual (and other disgusting) content in the Home Screen under 'Episodes for you' section, here is the solution.

1. Open Spotify app and go to Search.
  2. Tap on Podcast and search for a couple of subjects of your preference, and play a few episodes.
  3. You can also Search for 'Episodes' and use the 'Podcasts & Shows' filter below the search bar.
  4. Once you have played a few episodes, close and relaunch Spotify app and scroll down within the Home screen. You will now see that most of the sexual (and other disgusting) content is no longer promoted as default behavior for new users.

I hope this helps, have a great day!

-ED

Suggested posts