Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FIX: for Alexa Multi-Room Group Problems

FIX: for Alexa Multi-Room Group Problems

FIX:

Play Alexa Multi-Speaker Groups in Spotify 

I had multi-speaker Groups working for MONTHS

The Alexa App,  Spotify & Android all updated within the same 2 weeks.

Groups STOPPED

SO,

After you update or install the ALEXA APP make sure you sign in with a non prime email. 

(Amazon will default to your prime account when you sign in. This is what happened to me) 

The Amazon Alexa App will default back to Amazon Prime Music for GROUPS. (Does not matter if Spotify is chosen as the default music app) 

Unfortunately,  This will not allow SPOTIFY  to access your multi speaker groups.

If you do not have a "Non Amazon Prime" email you can create one.

This will not affect your Amazon account.

I  have 2 emails linked to my Amazon ... (kids) 

1 Has Full  Access to all the Prime Features (including Music) 

The second account can order but not use the features. (This is handy at Christmas... order for the others & they can't see 😁 )

Then,  enable SPOTIFY under the non-prime email

Create multi-speaker Groups 

✔ Done ✔

8 Replies

Hi there @Mom_2_Many,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

It's really nice of you to share what's been working for you with the other Community members 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

here to confirm what Mom_2_Many says & it's your prime account that is the issue
i'd tried all other methods with no joy (remove all groups, router reset, re-install alexa app, re-install spotify, re-added all my echos etc etc)
but all you need to do is remove alexa app
create a new or use a non prime email
re-install alexa app
in alexa use the new email
re-add/ pair your echos 
& thats it 🙂

Hi @angrymoby,

Thank you for your reply in this thread and for sharing your workaround 🙂

Have a great Friday and a wonderful start of your weekend.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Having the same multi room music issue. Just got a new echo show 5 to go along side my echo dot. Signed out of my prime and logged into a non prime account and reset both devices on the same network. The issue still persists for me; sound only coming from one or the other, not both. It’s really frustrating. I’ve contacted amazon and they said multi room music is only available with amazon prime music subscription and that Spotify has to give them permission in order for Spotify to work with multi room music. Like it’s on Spotify why I can’t listen to music on both speakers. I just want music to play out of both speakers. Simple. 

I have the same problem

Multi room speaker groups and everywhere speaker worked for months for me using Spotify, and now it doesn’t. I changed nothing on my side, and now I am annoyed! Uninstalling and reinstalling all devices and apps is not a sure thing, and quite time consuming! 

Just to be clear, the solution offered here: create a new Alexa account using a non-prime email - is not a viable solution.
Spotify needs to support integration with the primary Amazon/Alexa account the user has.
I can confirm that playing Spotify to speaker groups is a nightmare. Frequently Spotify doesn't list 'everywhere' or 'custom speaker groups' in its list of speakers to play to. Sometimes it will start playing a spotify playlist via Alexa and then stop 2 seconds later. The Alexa/Spotify integration is fundamentally broken and my routines are constantly breaking. Isn't Spotify taking this issue seriously? Not having the Alexa integration working reliably is a great reason to discontinue my Spotify account.

Think the underlying issue here is the complete and total abandonment of Alexa development. Spotify won't invest developer time and money in a sinking ship, and I can't really blame them. A likely case is that fewer updates and patches are hindering overall functionality, but my suspicion is one of malice. Easiest way to abandon a product is to make it so frustrating to use that the masses junk it. Given that I use mine to turn on lights and very basic utilities and it struggles to do even that half the time, I'd say something's definitely up. Technology like this is designed to improve over time, and this regression is painfully apparent in Alexa AI and Echo device integration. And for what it's worth, I have seven echo devices that I struggle with daily so I'm not just some Google home guy trying to convert y'all. Wish I had some recourse, but my smart home has been getting dumber by the day and it's rather frustrating 😤

Suggested posts