Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fake artists stealing others songs

Fake artists stealing others songs

Firstly I want to say that this is not a hate thread. I tried reporting this person through the normal report system, but it seems to only handle reports for inappropriate profile pictures, bios and such. So reporting for plagiarism doesn't work.

Last Friday I listened to my Release Radar and noticed an exceptionally bad song called "You And Me" by DJ Fire House. Seeing that an artist that I like, Unkown Brain, apparently had participated in the song, I curiously checked out DJ Fire House's artist page.

It turns out that the artist is some kid that (somehow???) managed to include Unknown Brain as an artist in his song and therefore appearing in my Release Radar.

I listened to some other songs that he have "made", and it turns out he has straight up just stolen them from other artists. An example of this is his song "Crazy Party" being a copy of the song "Brass" by Dirty Rush & Gregor Es.

This is the second time I get such a song in my release radar. I hope you can do something about this guy. It really boils my blood seeing people earn money out of stealing others work. He has apparently done exactly the same thing on other services like iTunes and SoundCloud.

5 Replies

Hi @VortFX! Thanks for reporting this in the Community, and welcome! 🙂

I took a look at the artist page you've mentioned here, and he has some content from other artists like Dirty Rush & Gregor Es as you mentioned.

If you want to report music infringement on Spotify, you can take a look at this form here. If you want to know more about how it works, you can check this article.

Hope this was helpful and informative. If you have any other concerns or questions, feel free to share them with us!

Mateus.

MateusMSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So spotify is fine with content theft until a copyright claim is made buy the owner? Really nice.

Also why do I have to jump through hoops to report these people? Why is the option to report songs/artists missing from the android app?

Why doesn't Spotify do anything against these metadata abusers? It's clearly fake, there was no collaboration and people are getting spammed with their shitty music, just because they managed to include one famous artist in the metadata. This has been happening for a long time and no action has been taken so far.

Does Spotify even care about user experience or has their ego reached the point where they think they can't fail anymore?

Exactly. I don't want to fill in a 5 sequence form telling me that "It may subject me to legal consequences" just to report someone. Just add it as a feature in the client.

Edit: I can't even report it, as I need to be a rightsholder or authorized agent for the rightsholder.

Heey @VortFX and @11134393023! Thanks for bringing this idea here to the Community.

It's not possible to report artists on the Spotify app, for now, you can go to the artist page, click on the 3 dots > Don't play this artist. This should prevent you listen to songs from this artist again.

Also, feel free to share this idea here in the Community by creating a new idea here, then users can adding their +VOTE. The higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it's for the idea to be implemented. Spotify always takes new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more about how ideas work.

Hope this was helpful and informative! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Have a great weekend! 😃

Mateus.

MateusMSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes! I saw an artist Vanna Rainelle stole an unreleased Arainna Grande song called Jada. The copy is an exact replica of the Arianna Grande leaks with no credits to Ariana Grande. Tried to report but cannot since I am not the copywright or owner of the song. Crazy!

Suggested posts