Premium family

Country

Canada

Device

Google nest mini, Google nest hub, Google home

Operating System

Not sure

My Question or Issue

Whenever I request a track on my Google home devices through the Google assistant, it will only play that one track then stop entirely. Autoplay is switched on on desktop and my phone. However, if I request a song through Google assistant on my phone, autoplay will work as it should. It also works properly if I select music in the spotify app then cast it to my Google device. I've talked to spotify reps and have done many troubleshooting steps but it seems to be a bigger issue. I was told by one rep that they could replicate the issue. Also, I made posts on the Google Home and Spotify subreddits and other people are having the same issues (I can link these posts if necessary)

Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hey folks,

Thansks for the posts.

As of recently the Spotify teams have been working on improving the Autoplay feature.

Currently Autoplay should work by default for all devices such as smart speakers and TVs. Note that Autoplay will start automatically only at the end of Playlists and Albums.

You should be able to see a setting on your Desktop app, allowing or blocking Autoplay on all devices. Make sure the setting is ON.

Hope this info helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

13 Replies

It's very frustrating!! I used to ask google home to play a music and the autoplay did the work playing correlated next music!! A perfect use case!! This function suddenly stopped some months/weeks ago!! Now, it plays only the requested music, even the Autoplay turned on in Spotify App. I'm noticing that integration between Spotify and google home devices is getting worse with a very low effort from Spotify to improve it. Unfortunately, I'm going to test Youtube Music and get out of Spotify if I get a better service and integration over there.

Hey folks,

Thansks for the posts.

As of recently the Spotify teams have been working on improving the Autoplay feature.

Currently Autoplay should work by default for all devices such as smart speakers and TVs. Note that Autoplay will start automatically only at the end of Playlists and Albums.

You should be able to see a setting on your Desktop app, allowing or blocking Autoplay on all devices. Make sure the setting is ON.

Hope this info helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Unfortunately I haven't gotten the new desktop app update. I've been checking for updates through Windows store multiple times daily but nothing yet.

I'm very confused though. You say that autoplay only works at the end of albums and playlists, but it has always worked after individual songs as well. Is this a recent change?

Hi @ZWoodside,

Thank you for your reply!

In order to update the desktop app you can run a reinstall, it will ensure the app you download is running the latest version, which is the 1.1.72 as for today.

And to answer your question, AutoPlay also applies to individual songs you search for. 

Let us know how everything goes after reinstalling and updating the app!

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

I'm uninstalling again and will do a reinstall as per the instructions in the link you sent me. I had 1.1.73 actually. I've been told that 1.1.74 is the lastest version with the new Autoplay setting for all devices.

Yeah that's what I thought so I wanted to make sure.

Will keep you posted! Thanks!

I updated my Mac desktop app (to 1.1.73.517.gbef50fdb). Mobile too (8.6.84.1353). I have autoplay set to ON on both mobile + desktop. The autoplay to my google home prompt suddenly stopped working. it is very very frustrating. Can i get some support, please?

I'm not sure what happened, but it must have been some sort of internal update because it is now working as it should be. My android and desktop apps haven't had any new updates so I'm not sure what the issue was but it seems to be working for now.

Same problem here, reinstall doesn't solve the problem, song play once and stop (like autoplay is off). please help us

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community.

As the new desktop experience should be available to everybody now, would you mind making sure (once more, if you already did) you're on the latest Spotify version?

At that point, also make sure you follow the steps @Alex shared here

Additionally, it'd be great to give restarting your Google speaker as well as checking for any related firmware updates a go.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Mario Moderator

So the Google Home is working as it should be now. Spotify on my phone is having some issues now haha with autoplay so I'm not sure what's up lately

Hey @ZWoodside,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you clarify what is happening with the Autoplay on your phone?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I'm so sorry for not replying earlier. It's been a very busy couple weeks. So autoplay doesn't work on my phone anymore if Spotify is not in the foreground. If it is in the background, it just plays a single song then stops. But then if I open it it will start to play more music. It is quite confusing

Oh I may have fixed it. Apparently it's a years old issue that sometimes happens with Samsung phones. Hopefully it's good now!

Suggested posts