Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is Radio availabe on Roku?

Solved!

Is Radio availabe on Roku?

I love the Radio feature of Spotify when I use it on my computers--inputting an artist or genre and getting songs related to that choice.

Does this feature exist on the Roku platform?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just bought a Roku 3 to get Spotify radio even though I had no reason to upgrade from Roku.

Also cancelled Pandora.

Installed the Roku 3.   No spotify radio.

That neither Roku nor Spotify mention that the app is not fully functional, and specifically omit the Radio function in the advertising for Spotify on Roku is deceptive advertising.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

As far as I am aware, the radio functionality is only available through the dedicated Spotify applications on the desktop, android and iOS devices. There is a large topic on this section about radio on Sonos (another partner device) and the issue appears to be that radio support is not in the Spotify API and therefore other platforms and applications can not harness that functionality. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Well, bummer! I was messing around and found that I got decent results when putting in "60s" as a title--got lots of 60's songs! Beyond clever search title naming, I guess I'll have to wait.

Thanks for the answer.

Marked as solution

Just bought a Roku 3 to get Spotify radio even though I had no reason to upgrade from Roku.

Also cancelled Pandora.

Installed the Roku 3.   No spotify radio.

That neither Roku nor Spotify mention that the app is not fully functional, and specifically omit the Radio function in the advertising for Spotify on Roku is deceptive advertising.

I was pretty upsed when I got my roku 3..which i bought just for spotify..only to find out the radio function does not work.

+1 in this request.

Spotify + Unlimited + Roku + Radio = Perfection

It's late August, I just signed up for Spotify Premier trial on my Roku, but now that I discover there is no Spotify Radio available via the Roku, I'll probably cancel the Spotify Premium.  That the absence of that key functionality isn't disclosed beforehand is annoying.  I wasted probably 2 hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.  

The reason I went with Spoitfy over Pandora was the fact that it had the radio function and a large library of browsable playable albums... really pissed that i cannot use this function on my roku.. ROKU get the radio functionality in the API so we can get this on other 3rd party devices!! 

I would like to echo all of the above comments. Got my Roku 3 today because nothing else hooked up to my home theatre can access Spotify, only to find out no radio which is my favourite part of Spotify!

Thank you for doing the research for me. I love spotify as it is.

Wow this is incredibly frustrating.  As a spotify subscriber I am continually dissapointed in the lack of innovation.  The removal of key features from the API has effectively rendered third party spotify apps useless.  I'm now stuck listening to Pandora on my roku because Spotify has not released an official app and has purposefully nerfed the third party app.

Bump! I'm looking for the radio functionality on Roku3 app just like everyone else.

Please add Radio to Roku spotify app!

Ditto. Just went premium for Roku access. Won't be paying for long with no radio. Gutted.

For me to. Bump. It's an important feature.

waited long enough for Roku to have Spotify radio 

just discontinued Spotify 

I'm thinking I like the Pandora radio better anyway (and it's available on Roku)

The Roku app needs the radio option. It's pretty useless without it.  On Roku 3, the playlists often hang. The Roku app is really full of bugs. Is there anyone out there at Spotify listening to the paying customers?

Even if you have a roku box, the radio feature is not on ROKU. I can't imagine why. And I can't find info anywhere as to when it might be available. It's not worth having the premium to me without it, Pandora doesn't have near what is available on spotify, but even they have the radio feature on roku.

Seriously still no radio on Roku?

Yeah, can't justify paying for Spotify when the ROKU app doesn't offer full functionality; e.g. the radio feature.  My home theater/stereo sytem is what I want to listen to music through, and the ROKU is what brings streaming capabilies to that system.

For me Radio is pretty much why I'd be paying for Spotify, as I can't seem to find curated playlists that match my taste. 

However with the Roku3 app being a very watered down version of what's available on iOS or other platforms, that kinds of defeats the purpose (at least for me) to go premium, as I mainly want to be listening to music on my entertainment system as opposed to my phone/computer.

Suggested posts