Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is anyone using Spotify on Symbian? Login stuck in loop

Solved!

Is anyone using Spotify on Symbian? Login stuck in loop

Hi Spotify Community. I've been a Spotify member for roughly a year now, and had no issues accross multiple platforms. However, I am currently trying to get spotify working on an older Nokia with Symbian S60 3rd edition. I've downloaded the app from the 'other platforms' page, and I am attempting to log in with my device username and password. If I put in an incorrect password, it tells me so. If I put my user and password correctly, I get a "logging in" screen for 30 seconds or so, then it goes back to the user and password entry page. My question is, 'Does the Symbian Spotify app still work, is anyone using it?" And if so, "Does anyone have a solution for my in-ability to log in?" Thanks in advance, Luke.

38 Replies

I found an online support request form where I reported the issue with my N8 phone. I had an email exchange with the support guy, basically what he said was that Symbian is unsupported platform and so they cant provide further support. Told be to reinstall which does not help. Might just be a compability issue at the end of the day he said.

Looks like unless they do something that also happens to make it work with symbian again, we are out of luck.

This is so retarded. It has been working fine for ages... The newest version was made for my Symbian phone back in 2010, and now suddenly they decide to pull the plug.

I can understand them not wanting to spend the time and resources on updating the application itself, but to lock us out from the online library is just bs. This was literally the only reason I subscribed in the first place, now they can kiss my 5 year long subscription goodbye.

Goodbye Spotify, I'm cancelling my subscription this weekend. Only reason I paid 10€ monthly was because Spotify supported so many platforms.

this is the answer I got from support

"En estos momentos, lamentamos informarte que tu dispositivo  no cuenta con soporte oficial, por lo que no podemos garantizar la solución de tu problema puesto que es de compatibilidad.
Esperamos poder ayudarte en una proxima oportunidad."

translate

"At the moment, we regret to inform you that your device does not have official support, so we can not guarantee the solution of your problem as it is compatibility.

We hope to help you at the next opportunity."

I am afraid there won't be next opportunity, I am cacelling my premium suscription

Taking into account that I have not make any change in my mobile (nokia n97 mini Symbian S60) for months, that there isn't any new spotify symbian version for years and that spotify just stopped working past weekend, it cannot be a software issue but any kind of configuration that they have removed and they don't kow how to fix.

bye bye spotify

@tozzeir wrote:

@bobrinton4512 wrote:

Same problem here. 

Tech support recommened uninstalling then re-installing. 

Did not work.

Still get the flashing green at the top trying to connect in wifi or 3g mode but no connection

It never connects to 3G any more- only to wifi once in a while, if your lucky when randomly trying to connect and disconnect. 

We await a solution please. Thanks Spotify

HOw did you manage to get in contact with tech support?
All i find is this forum.

support@spotify.com

I also got the advice to reinstall the spotify app on my N8.... Of course this didn't help: I still cannot access the Spotify server so the only result of this action is that all downloaded, offline music is now also gone from my phone!!

So now, Spotify is of no use to me at all!

However, if we cannot get access to the spotify server, how is the app able to check our login credentials? Apparently that part still works, both on 3G and WiFi....

Does our problem have something to do with what's reported over at AllAboutSymbian? http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/21129_The_Nokia_Wi-fi_connectivity_t.php

Maybe not because this only seems to affect phones running FP2 such as the 808. My N8 wouldn't be affected....

What a mess!

P.S. If Spotify claims they no longer support Symbian, why do they still offer the app on their site?

I've send a massage to spotifys support and Im heding over to Allaboutsymbina.com to se if anyone over there knows anything.

This is what i wrote:

Hi
It appear that there a problem with the app for Symbian users.
We are no longer able to go online with the Spotify app, thus making us unable to add any more music.
We have been told to reinstall the app, which I've already tried, resulting in a still non functioning app and now no music on my phone.
What can we do to get an update? Are there any special forum we need to post in and a number of Kudos we need?

//Thanks

Maybe the best thing to do is to check out another service.... Their biggest competitor in Europe runs fine on Symbian: huge library of music incl. storing music offline on your phone!!

I don't want to switch the service but it seems Spotify couldn't care less! This is what happens if you neglect your premium customers!

@grundlvi wrote:

Maybe the best thing to do is to check out another service.... Their biggest competitor in Europe runs fine on Symbian: huge library of music incl. storing music offline on your phone!!

I don't want to switch the service but it seems Spotify couldn't care less! This is what happens if you neglect your premium customers!

It might not be Spotify fault. If you go to the link you gave us earlier it appears that other apps have gone down as well.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/21129_The_Nokia_Wi-fi_connectivity_t.php

@tozzeir wrote:

@grundlvi wrote:

It might not be Spotify fault. If you go to the link you gave us earlier it appears that other apps have gone down as well.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/21129_The_Nokia_Wi-fi_connectivity_t.php

don't think so, that link talks about wifi message error and that it is not a real error.

And in any case it would explain issues connecting via wifi not 3g , spotify for symbian is not working 3G either.

Besides in particular my case , the only issue I have is with spotify , anything else works fine.

Taking into account that it was mandatory to have premium account to use spotify in Symbian and that there have been recently a lot of issues with premium accounts as I found in this comunity I do really think that the problem is with accounts.

HOwever, spotify is not even going to try to investigate it with the escuse of  "  your device does not have official support "

when it is not a problem of my device but their application

if they will not serve symbian any more , the least they can do is warn with time to let us withdraw from the premium

@iordrgz wrote:

don't think so, that link talks about wifi message error and that it is not a real error.

And in any case it would explain issues connecting via wifi not 3g , spotify for symbian is not working 3G either.

Besides in particular my case , the only issue I have is with spotify , anything else works fine.

Taking into account that it was mandatory to have premium account to use spotify in Symbian and that there have been recently a lot of issues with premium accounts as I found in this comunity I do really think that the problem is with accounts.

HOwever, spotify is not even going to try to investigate it with the escuse of  "  your device does not have official support "

when it is not a problem of my device but their application

if they will not serve symbian any more , the least they can do is warn with time to let us withdraw from the premium

^ I agree 100%. It's definitely something Spotify has (or indeed has not) done.

Maybe this would be a good time to put a new version request on the new ideas section. Last I remember, it took 100 kudos for the idea to be taken into consideration, and this thread has had north of 400 views so far. If everyone gives it +1 then we might have our way. 🙂

EDIT: I made a request. Now go hammer the kudos button 😄

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Symbian-Update-Symbian-application/idi-p/1256535

Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Spotify on your Symbian device.

We no longer officially support Symbian devices as a platform for Spotify.

Please note there will not be any further updates for this app.

Feel free to add your Kudos to this idea.

Hopefully that has cleared things up, but let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

@Pricilla wrote:

Hopefully that has cleared things up, but let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

No, we're done here.

Well at least now we know, they know. 

Well, actually now we know, that they @spotify know, and couldn't care less about their customers. This cannot be that big of a problem to fix, but no...

And why is there a Symbian app available still on m.spotify.com even though it does NOT work? VERY misleading to a customer.

grundlvi wrote:

What is the name of that service?

@Pricilla wrote:

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with Spotify on your Symbian device.

We no longer officially support Symbian devices as a platform for Spotify.

Please note there will not be any further updates for this app.

Feel free to add your Kudos to this idea.

I didn't mind if  is not going to there be updates for symbian , it would have been enough to keep the last version compatible

besides I don't think the problem is in the application itself but something that spotify has done with premium accounts.

In the other hand, yes there is a thing that you can do return the money of last invoice to all symbian  users.

The solution to our problem can be found here:

http://www.deezer.com/devices/mobile

Just send them your phone number so you can download the Symbian app and try the Premium offering free for 15 days.

A large choice of music and so far working fine on my N8 including off-line music and all!

Sorry Spotify, but it was nice while it lasted....

Hey folks, as @Pricilla already mentioned we haven't supported Symbian for some time now. 

You can check out the system requirements for using Spotify here. If you'd like to see Symbian support with Spotify please give us your kudos here so we can pass on your feedback. 

We'll close this thread for now as we don't have any further updates. Thanks for coming to the Spotify Community with your feedback.

Suggested posts