Land Rover In Control App

Solved!

Land Rover In Control App

Device

iPhone XR

Operating System

iOS 13

My Question or Issue

Has Spotify been dropped from Land Rover's In Control app?

If so, why?

I found this message within the LR app.  "The Spotify application will be withdrawn from InControl Apps on September 30th 2019.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Seriously?  I can't play Spotify through my $80,000 car's audio system??

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Ok, after some faff yesterday at the dealer, I’ve now got my car back, 2016 Evoque, UK spec with InControl Pro, iPhone XS Max, iOS 12, with Phase 4 installed and CarPlay working like a dream including voice commands for messages and WhatsApp, Amazon Music and important to this group Spotify - Three things I’ve noticed;

1, Phase 4 is so much faster and slicker in operation than my previous system, I’m actually really blown away and that usually takes a big deal to do that !   Very happy with Phase 4

2, Spotify works well, but doesn’t have an on screen search function, so you need to have tracks and artists liked, but it does bring up the daily playlists which is great for me

3, Sound quality - I’ve got the Meridian upgrade in my car, but the sound is different or odd somehow, I’d previously had my Spotify set to automatic quality, but CarPlay seems to bump down to a lower quality to start then adapts - I’ll see how this goes and twiddle with my settings.

In summary, very happy, I’d recommend Phase 4 and CarPlay on InControl Pro, big thumbs up.

D70EBEDB-593C-44FD-AB8F-C4F2A0CEB6C8.jpeg

0AD92731-B5DF-4485-935A-4A0CC848887F.jpeg

22DA5D04-CFEF-448D-9894-D9740F088EBC.jpeg

View solution in original post

35 Replies

I can’t believe this either- no alternative offered. I have always had problems with the stability of Spotify in InControl apps. I wondered if it was this, or more likely a contractual issue with Spotify. 

I think there is a chance that LR may be able to upgrade the system so that you can use CarPlay, I think that this is available on the new Defender. I am waiting for LR to get back to me. I would definitely get in contact with LR customer service.

Open a ticket with Land Rover help desk.  I did this.  The more people that complain, the better chance of having support put back.

Yes I have done that, also contact your dealership 

I have the same issue in my Jaguar F-type Spotify is gone.

JLR have responded on Twitter and said Spotify can still be used on Bluetooth (no use if driving) or Apple CarPlay or Google Auto. A pity they didn’t advise us earlier, no offer yet to upgrade to CarPlay! Poor service from a luxury car marque.

News just in - I’ve a late 2016 Evoque with the InControl Pro system, Spotify has been awful since I bought this car new 2.5yrs ago, then the app disappeared on the 1st Oct 2019, I’ve got onto both Land Rover Finance re handing the car back and also my dealer, the dealer (Guy Salmon Land Rover) has come back to me today and offered me the InControl Phase 4 software upgrade that apparently gives me Apple Car Play which does support Spotify - there’s a caveat that it’s very slow, because of the “age” of the hardware in my car, but given the poor performance previously and the lack of alternative options, I’ve booked in this Friday (4th Oct 2019) to have the Phase 4 software installed - I’m told this takes between 1-5hrs to do, I’ll keep this thread posted on the results.  👍  

I’ll be curious to hear the results.
Thanks

My dealership have responded rapidly now, after I posted stuff on Twitter about them and JLR. My car is booked in for an upgrade(?) to CarPlay on 10th October. Hopefully this will give a much better experience with access to lots of other apps as well. JLR should have anticipated this and offered it to customers in advance .

What year/model is your car?

I know Appleplay is standard on newer models.

Discovery First Edition 2017

Mine's a 2017 Evoque.

Let me know if the update works for you.

Will do, sounds like it should, the dealer just offered it with no fuss.
Marked as solution

Ok, after some faff yesterday at the dealer, I’ve now got my car back, 2016 Evoque, UK spec with InControl Pro, iPhone XS Max, iOS 12, with Phase 4 installed and CarPlay working like a dream including voice commands for messages and WhatsApp, Amazon Music and important to this group Spotify - Three things I’ve noticed;

1, Phase 4 is so much faster and slicker in operation than my previous system, I’m actually really blown away and that usually takes a big deal to do that !   Very happy with Phase 4

2, Spotify works well, but doesn’t have an on screen search function, so you need to have tracks and artists liked, but it does bring up the daily playlists which is great for me

3, Sound quality - I’ve got the Meridian upgrade in my car, but the sound is different or odd somehow, I’d previously had my Spotify set to automatic quality, but CarPlay seems to bump down to a lower quality to start then adapts - I’ll see how this goes and twiddle with my settings.

In summary, very happy, I’d recommend Phase 4 and CarPlay on InControl Pro, big thumbs up.

D70EBEDB-593C-44FD-AB8F-C4F2A0CEB6C8.jpeg

0AD92731-B5DF-4485-935A-4A0CC848887F.jpeg

22DA5D04-CFEF-448D-9894-D9740F088EBC.jpeg

This is totally unacceptable. Same thing happening to my 2016 F-Type, and F-Types for this model year did not have "Incontrol Touch Pro" so there is no CarPlay upgrade for them. Jaguar should at least support their own products through the warranty period.

I've had exactly the same problem! my F type is a year older than yours and no consideration given whatsoever!

Hi aknights,

what did you say to them in order ofr them to act so quickly!?

I'm going to contact Jaguar and push the ball to them but fear they might not give the same response.

Post a comment/ complaint on social media, they don’t like adverse comments in the public domain. I used Twitter and included @LandRoverUK, @Jaguar and my dealer, and anyone else you can think of, the dealer responded very quickly, car goes in on Thursday.

My dealer, once I was able to talk to the service director, has agreed to update my system this Friday.  Gotta say, having had seven Mercedes... the level of service from Land Rover is beyond what I have grown used to (and Mercedes was really good).  I really appreciate the Land Rover team in Atlanta doing something for free.  Mercedes would never do anything for free (outside of regular warranty work).... I take that back, they have snacks in their waiting room.  My Land Rover dealership only has beverages.  Great experience so far owning my first Land Rover.

What year is your car? What type of head unit have you got?

Suggested posts