Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files are Unavailable for Playing

Local Files are Unavailable for Playing

So I know how to get local files into my spotify and how to properly sync them throughout my devices but there are some songs that are LOCAL FILES that when I try to play them the error box comes up saying "This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you may import it" the only reason this is so confusing is because I am in my local files playlist trying to play a song that I have already imported. I don't know if there is a way to fix this or if it is just a bug but I figured I would reach out, please help I just want to listen to the full album.

gnfgfdfng.jpg
5 Replies

Does anybody at Spotify answer questions like these? This one has been posted for well over a month and no response. I have a similar problem, local files are only playable on the PC that that they are located on, and the desktop player has no way to cast to a chromecast. What`s the plan hereÉ If there is none then that info helps me make decisions on account status as well

I figured since I got no replies I was the only person with this issue or that it would be fixed in a later software update (hopefully)

I have this same problem. Driving me up a wall for awhile now.

Same here: "This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it". The difference is I am running on Linux.

Spotify: 1.0.49.125.g72ee7853

Yep, I'm on Linux too. Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit. I very rarely start my computer at all because it's about 6 years old and on its last leg, but I wanted to throw it out there that this is a widespread issue.

For anybody that runs a tablet or phone regularly (I use my iPad as a computer - I just wanted to get a song that isn't available on Spotify on it yesterday and spent hours troubleshooting this), I did find something of a workaround that might allow you to play locals on those. Someone on Reddit suggested it, but I can't remember where. I have a premium account and you may need one too.

1. As normal, put the local files in with the convoluted and awkward source folder system, then drag them into a playlist.

2. Make sure that "hide unplayable songs" is unchecked. This is important and can sabotage you.

3. Make sure your devices are on the same wifi network and toggle the "download" option on the app(s).

For some reason, I got them on my phone and tablet this way even though they still refuse to play on desktop. Definitely not a full solution, but it's better than nothing.

Also worthy of note is that I am not by any means IT (computer idiot with Linux here) so I won't be much help beyond this. I'd just feel bad not sharing this because it was good enough for me and it took me ages to find.

Suggested posts