Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files questions

Local files questions

I'm a noob, so please be patient 😉

1. When viewing a playlist I made, how do I know which files are local? I assume people I share my playlists with cannot see local files and I want to exclude local songs.

2. I have a rather large iTunes library... about 90,000 songs. I started to sync (if that's the right term) my iTunes library with Spotify but the indicator said it would take over 200 hours! I have a super fast computer and Internet connection. Does this sound right?

Thanks.

3 Replies

Hey @jooks99, welcome to the Community 🙂

Your local files will be marked with a specific sign. I'll show you a screenshot:

First 2 are Spotify songs, second 2 are my local files.First 2 are Spotify songs, second 2 are my local files.Local songs are greyed out for other people. Users who have allowed showing the greyed out/unavailable content in Preferences will see them, others will not.

About the iTunes library: 90 thousand tracks is a huge amount of songs! Spotify will add local files / sync files a little slower than, say, Foobar (and about as fast as Windows Media Player. I have tried.)

Also, I suggest reading this article on local files and the few restrictions to keep in mind. 🙂

Let me know if you need more help!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the response!

I started to sync my iTunes library and then quit. Meanwhile, I added 2 songs to a playlist which I couldn't find initially on Spotify. They don't appear any different in the playlist than the tracks I added from Spotify. Perhaps I overlooked the 2 tracks in my first search and they are on Spotify. [If you have time to check, one is "Looking For My Baby" by The Nite Riders.]

Just to be clear though, it appears you're saying that local songs will have a down arrow enclosed by a circle next to them on Spotify on my computer?

@jooks99

This song does exist in Spotify:

spotify:track:1WoZz2o1ijJzL828hYlpBr:small

The article I linked earler states that Spotify will try to match the local song with something from its catalog, if the local file didn't import successfully.

Check that your local file's extension is mp3, m4p or mp4 (the last works if you have Quicktime installed).
(in my case, Spotify shows my lossless m4a files too, but they are unplayable)

All local files in my case do have the down arrow in a circle symbol. Both those that generally exist on Spotify and those that do not.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts