Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Lost ability to connect to Amazon Echo

Solved!

Lost ability to connect to Amazon Echo

A couple weeks ago, I was forced to change my Spotify password.

After doing so, my Amazon Echo devices would no longer play music from Spotify. 

To troubleshoot, I went in to the Amazon Alexa app and deselected Spotify as the default music service. When I did so, I saw that Spotify was grayed out as an option.

I then tried to re-add Spotify in the Alexa music settings. Whenever I click on Spotify, the button does nothing.

I then went in to the Spotify settings and disabled Amazon Alexa from the Apps menu.

Tried to go back into the Alexa music settings and add Spotify, but the same behavior continues (clicking the Spotify button does nothing).

Can anyone help?

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Amazon Echo

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I found another thread online
Go to a desktop go to Alexa.amazon. com unlink Spotify and then relink it.
Then tell Alexa to Spotify connect.
Mine is now working

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Have you already checked this article?

This article doesn’t help the above issue. I also can’t connect after changing Spotify password. 

Have you tried uninstalling both apps?

I am having this exact same problem.  

Anyone figure this out?

I did uninstall and reinstall both apps.   Same issue, was forced to reset password and cannot connect.  Tried changing country to UK or Germany for fun, did not work either

Someone had the same issue Spotify Connect since the last update. I don't know but maybe you should try to write a review on their app for them to know that you are having issues connecting your spotify to your speakers.

Marked as solution

I found another thread online
Go to a desktop go to Alexa.amazon. com unlink Spotify and then relink it.
Then tell Alexa to Spotify connect.
Mine is now working

That worked, thanks a lot, I thought I tried this.  For everyone else you need to do it on a computer or "request desktop site" on chrome on your phone  to do this

Disconnecting and reconnecting Spotify doesn't work for me. The only thing that works is uninstalling and reinstalling Alexa. Since this happens now about once a week, and it's a royal pain of a solution, I've pretty much stopped trying to use Spotify with Alexa.

I still haven't got Alexa to recognize the names of more than one or two of my Spotify playlists, which seems to be the fault of Spotify, and there's no way to normalize the volume when using Spotify Connect, so it's all a great disappointment to me.

Having an issue similar to this and super frustrated. I’ve unlinked/re-linked my Spotify/Alexa account, restarted all echos, manually connected via blue tooth, changed my “show local device” settings and everything g else I’ve read in all the forums. Nothing works. I’ve contacted amazon and they said it is a Spotify problem, likely due to a new software version. Anyone else unable to play Spotify through amazon echo devices right now?

I was able to solve this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Alexa, as I said above. It's been stable for quite a while now, but it still doesn't find my Spotify playlists. 

I’ve had similar issues now for the past two months. No amount of troubleshooting tips have helped. I’ve done literally all the suggestions and it appears that reviewers of the Echo Spotify app on Amazon’s Alexa site are reporting the same issues I have. Nobody’s fixing this? It’s so obviously not a problem on our end.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Don't worry. Help is here 🙂

To the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far, we'd like to add a few more. If you've tried disconnecting the Spotify account in the Alexa App here, we'd suggest to also try disconnecting the device through Spotify here. Then you can login into the Alexa App and connect with Spotify again.

If that doesn't do the trick, we'd suggest to set Spotify as default device.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I've tried everything mentioned, but it's still not working. Any other suggestions?

Hey @affie,

Thank you for your posts. We're happy to help.

If you haven't already, we'd recommend you unplug and restart your Amazon Echo first and reinstall the Alexa app before linking your accounts again as described here.

In case that doesn't do the trick, it'd be great if you could let us know the exact device(s) you're having trouble with.

Also - If you're using voice commands to initiate the playback on your Alexa device, it'd be a good idea to check if the command was registered by the device in the Alexa app > More > Activity.

Keep us posted. We'll have an eye open for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Removing "Alexa" at https://www.spotify.com/us/account/apps/ actually worked. No re-sign-in was required however. Thanks!

Hey @avizio,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. 

We're glad to know that everything is working fine for you now.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Greetings! 

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I told my Alexa device to connect to Spotify and Alexa said to go to the device I would like to stream from. When I looked again the Echo dot was there.

Hey @rotumrack,

Thanks for posting in the Community. 

We're glad to hear that you can use Spotify with your Echo dot with no issues. 

Don't forget the Community is here for you in case you need anything. 

Cheers!

AndresMModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Suggested posts