Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Developer] Casual Listening Status

[Mobile][Developer] Casual Listening Status

I have two very specific modes of listening to Spotify: Active and Casual. 

Active would be defined as any time I deliberately choose a genre, style, song, playlist, etc. This is any deliberate, purposeful listening during my work or leisure time when I am making an active choice to spend my time listening to specific music. 

Casual would be defined as while we’re cooking dinner as family (nightly), when we have guests over (frequently), and when I sleep (also nightly). These are mostly playlists, and they’re in a specific vibe or mood. “Big Band Swing”, “Chill Instrumental”, “Sleep Guitar,” etc. They are vastly different than my normal tastes, but are perfect for these (and other) situations. 

Because of how often listen Casually (especially each night for bed), it’s definitely coloring recommendations, my Release Radar, and most sadly— my fun year end wrap you all do. 

If there was a way to flick on a switch somewhere that I’m in ‘Casual’ listening mode that would be great.

Aside from some light brainstorming below, I’ll leave it to your dev minds as to exactly what this does. I don’t want to try to fully solve the problem, that’s your area of expertise. I just want to point out a pain point as a listener. 

Light Brainstorm: Maybe the switch wouldn’t let songs  count within my personal algorithm? Maybe there’s a Casual section on my home page that is dedicated to everything it learns from the algorithm in that mode?

Anything like that— or any amazing ideas you all come up with— would be absolutely fantastic.

Candidly, for the moment I have switched to YouTube and Amazon for all my Casual listening (which is often… hours daily/nightly), and I’d much rather stay in Spotify. 

1 Reply

Hey @Timotheusk,

Thank you for posting in the Community! We've moved your post to a relevant Help Board where we believe it fits better.

We understand that you need some sort of 'casual' mode of listening, where the streams wouldn't count towards your individual listening habits and by this to not influence on your personalized recommendations and the yearly Wrapped that we prepare for you. The good news we have for you is that such a feature is already implemented and it's called Private listening. You can see and read more about it here, and we hope that this would be a working solution for those hours of casual listening, so you could enjoy those moments with Spotify as well 🙂

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts