Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Not receiving notifications of ANY new music by artists I follow

Solved!

Not receiving notifications of ANY new music by artists I follow

148 Replies

I have a team at Spotify looking into the problem.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey guys! Thanks for getting in touch with us regarding this. 

Do any of you have a specific example of a notification? e.g. an artist I'm following released X on this date? Or someone followed my X playlist and I didn't get a notification? 

Are you missing email notifications as well or just ones inside the app? 

@meahtenoha I'm not getting any notifications at all just now. However of late I have mainly been getting Artist updates and when someone subscribes to a playlist but I never seem to get an update when someone starts following me.

@meahtenoha Sorry missing all email notifications too and never get them when someone starts following me.

@Meredith in my case i don't follow any artist but usually everyday I have at least a couple of notifications about new subscribers to my playlists and these has stopped displaying 7 days ago.

They are not displaying either on the desktop app nor in the web app. Notifications in mobile apps are turned off.

@meahtenoha I started getting notifcations again 16 hours ago but it didn't update anything else I have received in the past 6 days. I also sent out a couple of messages in that time but haven't had anything back, not sure if that was affected too?

I find Spotify to be really lazy (to be optimistic)...I'm following many artists with recent new albums and I'm still experiencing no notifications issues. This is a long-standing issue.

Any updates?

Hi, is there any news on that? I still don't have any notifications (last one: 13 days ago)

Latest update is they are still working on it.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Meredith, I've got a specific example of a notification:

I follow an artist called FKA Twigs. I just noticed she released a new album, LP1 today and I wasn't notified.

I imagine there're a lot more that I havn't been notified of. I follow 431 artists so I used to get something pop up every day. I've had nothing for 12 days so probably missing quite a few releases.

In terms of a user following a playlist. I'm missing two notifications that should have popped up.

I made a playlist called " Trip To Your Mind - BritFunk 1980 "

Two of my friends have followed it but I wasn't notified.

I'm missing notifications in the desktop app, the ipad and iphone apps and email notifications.

Mine hasn't worked for 12 days now. I'm a UK premium user. I've been active on spotify for 7 years.

Hope that all helps.

Hi there Spotify Community!

From what I've read on forums and blogs loads of people share this similiar problem.

We all love the idea of following artists and to get a notification whenever new songs/albums are released.

Since some months back the only notifications I've gotten is the playlist subscription updates.

The 'new content'-notifications just wont show up, even if there is new content availible from the artist/s.

I'm not even getting a mail when new content is released. This is something I used to get aswell.

I have Spotify installed on five different devices and it's the same problem on all of those.

Three Windows PC's (Windows 7,7 & 8), one Android and one iOS.

Reinstalls wont help at all.

Please create a bug for this case or take a look into the problem!

I'm missing out on looooads of new awesome tracks each day and it grinds my gears 😞

Regards

Patrik Andersson

Having the exact same problem. It's really annoying because the feature used to work perfectly and is one of the reasons why I love Spotify so much. Really hoping someone has a solution.

The strange thing is, some releases show op just fine but most of them just don't. I think the problem started to happen when I followed a lot of artists. When I followed just a few everything worked perfectly. Of course this can just be a coincidence...

Here's hoping that someone can still help!

Example of album that DID show up (in fact, it's still in my notification feed after more than 23 days):

The Maze of Games by Austin Wintory

Example of album that DID NOT show up:

Late Night Tales by Franz Ferdinand

Thanks for getting back so swiftly. I'll help the best I can...

1. Any artist, completely random.

2. See above.

3. Random, but they're all affected.

4. No idea how I should know this. It can be completely new releases or old ones which were (re-)added.

Here's my last three notifications on iOS:

Feels like Vegas by Tinashae: iOS and e-mail. Nothing on the desktop.

Sunshine (feat. Billie Fountain) by Urmet K: Only iOS.

New subscriber to a playlist of mine: Everywhere (this is usually everything or nothing, though).

Five (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) different playlists I subscribe to have over the weekend been updated with new tracks: I was notified about one of those playlists (#5), and only on the desktop.

I'm using Spotify on the desktop (at home and at work, daily restarts, Windows), iOS (iPad) and WP (Lumia). And of course, the email is set to 'Immediately' for everything.

Sadly - because it's so broken - it's hard to pin-point any single place where it's working "as intended." Generally speaking, I might get notifications about new albums/singles on iOS and the occasional new subscriber, maybe I get them on the email and seldomly on the desktop. Or vice-versa. It's a coin toss. I've almost stopped caring about notifications in Spotify since it works so poorly, but I shouldn't have to... I'm following artists and playlists for a reason: to avoid missing out and to discover new music!

- - -
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
- Jorge Luis Borges
Marked as solution

Hey everyone! We have looked into these reports extensively to see if there’s any issue with notifications. 

We can provide a bit more insight into this. First of all, there are caps on the number of notifications a user gets. If you’re following a large amount of artists it’s possible you could hit this limit some days. 

Second, very occasionally we have server issues. You may have seen a tweet from@SpotifyStatus letting users know "We are aware of some service issues and are working on a fix". This can sometimes interfere with notifications going out on that day.​

However, these should not be affecting the majority of users when it comes to notifications. If you’re receiving only a handful of notifications per day, and continue to miss notifications on a frequent basis please let us know the following:

1. The artist/ album/ song just released. 

2. Where you expected the notification (in the app, via email).

3. Did the notification arriving late or simply never arrive?

4. How many people/ artists are you following? 

5. How many notifications do you get per day on average? 

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

1) Any new album one example that springs to mind is Slash - world on fire

2)Everywhere

3)Never

4) 300- 400

5) 2 or 3 MAX, normally none

Cheers

Rich

Not following any artists, but I'm missing the new follower (of me/playlists) and playlist update notifications.

Both desktop app and mail, no messages anywhere

They used to be late in the app and I got some via email immediately, but that was about a year ago. Atm I'm not receiving anything!

I follow 49 "real" people, no musicians (until you split the follow section into friends/artists)

None. A year ago it was around 5-10/week, mostly playlist updates (which I don't care about too much) but I was always informed via email about new followers.

1. There are a lot, but the most recent one I've noticed is Fink Hard Believer, Hard Believer Single and Looking Too Closely
    Also Ben Howard End of the Affair
  2. Everywhere
  3. Never Arrived
  4. 128
  5. Generally none, at most probably 3

Re: Missing Notifications
Monday
Not following any artists, but I'm missing the new follower (of me/playlists) and playlist update notifications.

Both desktop app and mail, no messages anywhere

They used to be late in the app and I got some via email immediately, but that was about a year ago. Atm I'm not receiving anything!

I follow 49 "real" people, no musicians (until you split the follow section into friends/artists)

None. A year ago it was around 5-10/week, mostly playlist updates (which I don't care about too much) but I was always informed via email about new followers.

Today I got the first 4 notifications after a looong time. They were all about playlist-changes and popped only up after I restarted the desktop client (I did this to change the language and was pretty surprised by the notifcations to be honest :D)

Hey guys!

I have an idea that could solve this problem. Please KUDO it! Thanks!

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/New-Releases-Section-for-Artists-I-Follow/idi-p/949039

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

What is follow limit?

I have only 618 of them and more to follow.

Some notifications arrives in delay, some will never reach me.

Like DJ Restlezz vs. Tribune - Fun & Celebration (Ti-Mo Remix Edit) and others from single, never reached my notification bar, had to do some manual work to search it thru Spotify.

Why you provide this function if there's limit how much notifications you can get? I'm not mad, but I feel this pain. You follow artists you like and you really want to get ALL notifications about new releases. That's all you wait from feature, nothing more, nothing less.

Nowadays I'm looking this information from Rdio, as there it's a bit easier, as you can for example follow labels you like and get info about new releases. If you know great label, like DJ Beat Records which is working on Hard Dance, Dancecore and Hands Up, you can find music more easily w/o Spotify's lithany to searchbar first "spotify:label:"dj beat records" year:2015".

Suggested posts