Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Old Devices in Spotify Connect

Solved!

Old Devices in Spotify Connect

When using Spotify Connect, there are old device names or old devices itself as a selectable device. Can't I remove these?

To fix the issue I tried to log out and log in again on all devices where I was logged into Spotify. Also I disabled and enabled again the Spotify Alexa Skill. Nothing helped. Does anyone have the same issue? Can someone help?

49F5F009-CA87-4035-8FD6-3A1BA5CCA9E5.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @CmlsOG,

Thank you for keeping in touch! 

From what we know, inactive devices get purged from the list automatically after a period of inactivity, but the whole process is automated and varies, so we can't give an exact timeline.

After some time, we'd love to hear back from you though, no matter the result 🙂

As always, we'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hi @CmlsOG.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

You can try logging out everywhere with the steps you'll find here. If this doesn't make any difference, try restarting the app twice in a row. This may sound odd but is how the app resyncs and might be of help in this case.

You can also try restarting your router to see if that helps.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you let us know if the devices are greyed out or not?  

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello Jeremy!

Thank you so much for helping me!

Logging out everywhere did not help. So I restarted my wifi and also this possibility didn‘t help.

The devices are greyed out, as you can also see on the previous picture. And also these are the old names of the actives devices, what I don‘t understand… Because later they were connected through the Amazon Alexa Skill of Spotify. 🤔

Hopefully do you habe some other ideas!

Hi @CmlsOG,

Thank you for your reply!

Just to confirm, are you seeing those only on one device, or do you also see them in other devices such as computers, other phones, etc.?

If this occurs only in one of them, then we suggest you give a try to these steps to perform a clean reinstall of the app, which is very thorough and can help you get rid of any old cache or damaged files.

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator

Hello MafeG!

They appear on all my devices in the connect feature.

Also I reinstalled the App on my iPhone for example. Did not help.

Thank you for helping and I am waiting for the answer 🙂

Hey @CmlsOG,

Thanks for keeping us posted and trying the steps mentioned so far.

In case some of the devices are not in close range, if possible, could you try turning off the option Show local devices only in the settings of your phone? Does this make a difference also on the other devices?

If that doesn't help, it's also a good idea to wait a bit. They should eventually disappear from the Connect list.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

Hello again!

I turned on the option „Show local devices only“ but there is no single device which appears. But they are all connected to the same Wifi.

The devices are already for a long time greyed out and I am not sure if the will disappear.

Is there an option that Spotify or Amazon can take these devices out of the feature?

Thanks!

3007C4C3-79AD-4724-A9E5-89AE96823BB3.jpg

Hi there @

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

This is quite odd. The only reason why all devices would disappear with the "show local devices only" on is if you're not in the same local network group.

It's not possible to remove any devices that appear in the app from our or Amazon's end. Are these just the old names of the same Echos or have you replaced the Echoes entirely?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Hello again!

So one greyed out device is the name of a new echo dot bevor setting it up. It automatically got connect with my Amazon account and because of that to Spotify also. After setting it up, I gave the device a new name. But the new name made up another device. And at some time I changed the name, and again. The name it got for the time stays as another device greyed out.

The other greyed out device is a multi media group which I removed, because I made a new one. But the new one has the same name. So now a greyed out „Living Room“ Group and the new, working one. 

I hope you understand my english and maybe we can find the answer!

Thanks very much🙏

Hey @CmlsOG,

Thanks for your response and additional info.

We hope we've understand correctly and have some further suggestions for you 🙂 If you want any changes to be reflected in the Connect picker, first they need to be resolved between your Spotify account and the data in your Amazon app. To remove the irrelevant instances of the devices we suggest to try the following steps:

1. First off, unlink your Spotify and Amazon accounts. Here's how:
    1. "Settings" in the Echo app offers the option to unlink a Spotify account.
    2. You will be asked again to verify that you want to unlink your account.
    3. As soon as an account is no longer linked, the data leaves the Echo app.
  2. Now it's important to do a soft reset (switch off and then back on) on all Amazon devices you're planning to use, as well as on the devices where you'll use Spotify to stream from.
  3. Then you can set up your preferred Amazon devices (rename them etc.) and then set Spotify as default music source  anew. It's easy:
    1. You need to go to the Alexa app on your device.
    2. Under “Music” you can select Spotify from the menu.
    3. When you open the Spotify tab, a link will appear - "Link your account". 
  4. To finish the process, log in to your Spotify account page and confirm the connection with Alexa by clicking the green OK button.

This process of unlinking the two accounts should help you reset the data that is also reflected in your Connect picker. Keep in mind that simply renaming a device or a session will not remove the old already linked instances. You can use the same steps above if you want to let's say rename an already linked device and not create a new one instead. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator

Hello!

Thanks again for helping me!

I did step by step all the recommended steps. I al very sure I did it correctly.

But it did not help.

During the time I did the soft resets of my Echo Dots and after unlinking the two accounts, the 3 greyed out devices were still in the Connect Player and unfortunately also after completing the steps and reactivating the skill with linking the two account.

Is there no other option left now? Could opening a new account solve the issue or maybe the 3 greyed out devices drive to the new account…

Hope there are more technical possibilities!

Hi @CmlsOG,

Thank you for your reply and for all the troubleshooting you've done so far!

Can you confirm if you only have one network (either physical or virtual) setup at home. Multiple networks might be causing some issues.

Overall, based on our experience, the grayed out devices should automatically disappear from the app after some time of inactivity, however it can take a couple of weeks.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Hello @Jeremy!

I only use one Wifi network. So can we say: To solve the issue, I need to wait?

If yes, I want to thank you all for trying and hopefully finally helped me!

Thank you very much!

Waiting for your answer👍🏻

Marked as solution

Hi @CmlsOG,

Thank you for keeping in touch! 

From what we know, inactive devices get purged from the list automatically after a period of inactivity, but the whole process is automated and varies, so we can't give an exact timeline.

After some time, we'd love to hear back from you though, no matter the result 🙂

As always, we'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

Hello again!

I will write after the issue is resolved! Thanks a lot 🙂

Hey @CmlsOG

Fantastic news! If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello! Please tell me if the devices eventually disappeared? It’s driving me insane that Spotify haven’t added the option to remove any device – grey or not! 

Hello,

so I marked what my solution was. It was just the time. I was so happy!

Best regards,

CmlsOG

Hello,

as I would say, that "solution" is not worth it's name, here is a dirty fix around:

(It's also the solution for another naming error mentioned here in the Spotify Community, but I did not look it up for this reply)

First of all, it seems that Amazon/Spotify is using a different technology to provide Spotify Connect on the Echo Dot 4. Gen in comparison to the Echo Dot 3. Gen for example (You can see in Spotify Connect that older Echo's are available to stream immediately, while newer ones are greyed out for a sec until you can select them).

And then to the fix: Use an older Echo device (3. Gen), rename it using Amazon.com/de/..>Devices>Rename Echo to the name you wanna remove from Connect and stream a song. After that is done, change the name back to its original name intended. This will erase the old name properly (at least on the frontend).

I only tested it with Echo devices, this might also work using an Laptop/Phone etc...

All the best

This is not a solution, this explains what happens not how to solve it.

Suggested posts